WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Escape from Colorado Trail

We're arriving in Denver this weekend, planned to hike the C.Trail for 12 days.

Uncommon snowpack this year, most segments impassables ( 6,7,8,9,12,13,14,15,16,20-28 ).

Any ideas for us moving to the AT, for 12 days flying from Denver? I prefer south of Philadelphia , having hiked most of the nj, ny, ct,ma sections.

Quote Originally Posted by birdscope View Post
    We're arriving in Denver this weekend, planned to hike the C.Trail for 12 days.

Uncommon snowpack this year, most segments impassables ( 6,7,8,9,12,13,14,15,16,20-28 ).

Any ideas for us moving to the AT, for 12 days flying from Denver? I prefer south of Philadelphia , having hiked most of the nj, ny, ct,ma sections.
    Shenandoah

Fly to DC- take the train to Harpers Ferry WV. You can walk south to Shenandoah but North may give you more transportation options at the end.

I'd say fly to Boston and hike the Whites or the Long Trail. Only down side is a high chance of rain all of early next week. And of course, the black flies are out in force now. Er, never mind.

Another option is to fly to Vegas and rent a car. Then take a national park tour - Zion, Brice. A couple I know did this last April and had a blast.

You could still do the first 5 segments of the CT, then rent a car and tour around the rest of the stay.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Done Shenandoah with my sons last year. Man, it was awesome. First five days raining day/night, but worth every mile.

Other suggestion??

Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro can be done in 11-12 days. What's the weather like down there next week?

Quote Originally Posted by birdscope View Post
    Done Shenandoah with my sons last year. Man, it was awesome. First five days raining day/night, but worth every mile.

Other suggestion??
    Hot Springs to Damascus or reverse that. You are from Brazil so you are used to warmer Temps.

Waynesboro to Daleville would be the next leg. This is the part of Virginia which is defiantly not flat. It's about as close to being wilderness as you'll find in the mid Atlantic states and my favorite part of VA. Plus you can stay at the Devil's tail brewery one night.

Transportation to and from those locations is reasonably easy to arrange.

Devils Backbone. But spot on, great place.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Waynesboro to Daleville would be the next leg. This is the part of Virginia which is defiantly not flat. It's about as close to being wilderness as you'll find in the mid Atlantic states and my favorite part of VA. Plus you can stay at the Devil's tail brewery one night.

Transportation to and from those locations is reasonably easy to arrange.

Images

Stay in Colorado, hike sections 1-5, then loop back thru the Lost Creek wilderness, easy to spend 12 days in there. Just a thought. Great time of year here, pre monsoon. Yep, lots of snow, but the LCW is fine

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Stay in Colorado, hike sections 1-5, then loop back thru the Lost Creek wilderness, easy to spend 12 days in there. Just a thought. Great time of year here, pre monsoon. Yep, lots of snow, but the LCW is fine
    This^^^ Great suggestion...CT/LCW lollipop or bowtie. You're in CO already. CO is a big place beyond the named XYZ guidebooked uber thrued Colorado Trail.... Near Denver the LCW doesn't get it's just due from CO outsiders textbook exampled by the comments on this site. People in the know such as Coloradan Colorado Rob is privy. LCW loops that perhaps incorporate the official Colorado Tr route hold far greater interest, spectacular scenery, and history than solely the official Colorado Tr route through LCW. Bunch of ways to amend this perhaps beginning at Roxborough SP(again more rock formation scenic than Waterton Canyon walking on the gravel road, public transportation gets you very close), taking the CT to LCW where you can loop ending there or bowtie, getting back on the CT to Kenosha Pass or near about.
    Last edited by Dogwood; 06-26-2019 at 13:49.

Plus go drink beer at www.littlemachinebeer.com before or after (or both!) your adventure

The snow is melting fast too. By the time you get to section 6 it might be open. They are predicting mid july for sections 6-9 to melt out. It will take you a week to get there, so July 6th-ish. If temps stay high, you might get lucky. Plan for the lost creek loop, but be flexible and see what happens?

Ok guys.....colorado_rob, Dogwood always, gravityman, and others, agreed .

CT, here we go!! Like very much this loop idea.

Any navigation tips for the LCW? Network of trails to confuse, or only one path?

++ New Posts ++