WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana D.C. To Harper's ferry

What's the best way to get to Harper's ferry from Dulles international airport? Are there shuttles? Thanks

If you could fly into Reagan airport, you can catch a train to Harper's Ferry. I've done it and it's very convenient. I remember from my research that going from Dulles gets more complicated. I'm sure others will chime in with info, though.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Somehow you need to get yourself to Union Station in DC, then take the afternoon Amtrak train to HF. Leaves about 4 PM, arrives just after 5.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Metro now serves Dulles. Take metro to Union Station and hop the Amtrak to Harper's Ferry. here is a link. https://www.flydulles.com/iad/silver...rorail-station
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

There are also late-afternoon commuter trains from Washington's Union Station to Harper's Ferry. These run only on weekdays, and are a lot cheaper than Amtrak.

https://www.mta.maryland.gov/schedule/marc-brunswick?origin=11958&destination=11940&direction =1&schedule_date=06%2F20%2F2019

I could never figure out the MARC. Amtrak is only $12.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yes, MARC is quirky. I took it on a Friday evening, and it was like one big happy hour. The conductor and many of the other commuters, including a group from the Library of Congress, of all places, were feeling no pain. The Potomac had flooded along the route, and we were lucky the train ran at all.

I have taken Amtrak to harpers ferry before (not from DC but it will let you off in the same place) it is super easy to get to the trail from the train and plenty of hostels to stay at in harpers ferry.

Some other options to Harper's Ferry are discussed in this thread: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...o-Pen-Mar-Park

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Yes, MARC is quirky. I took it on a Friday evening, and it was like one big happy hour. The conductor and many of the other commuters, including a group from the Library of Congress, of all places, were feeling no pain. The Potomac had flooded along the route, and we were lucky the train ran at all.
    LOL! so true ... I've been commuting via MARC for quite some time. As often as those trains break down, are delayed, has mechanical issues - the conductors and engineers are probably relieved we're feeling no pain vs being up in arms for yet another delay.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Metro now serves Dulles. Take metro to Union Station and hop the Amtrak to Harper's Ferry. here is a link. https://www.flydulles.com/iad/silver...rorail-station
    The new silver line will eventually go all the way to Dulles, but now only phase 1 is open. Phase 2 is due to be open next year. For now, you take a bus from the airport to the closest metro rail station. You then take the Metro to the train station (which requires a transfer to the red line). I did this both directions a few years ago en route to my SNP hike. It's easy.

If you must fly into Dulles rather than Reagan National and don’t want to pay for a shuttle (which would be far faster),I’d recommend metro bus 5A to Rosslyn where you can get on metro to union station and then take the MARC or Amtrak. But if it was me, I’d spring for a shuttle or Uber to Hf from Dulles. You’ll spend more but save many, many hours.

Taking the metro to union station is an option, but why waste your time? Getting a shuttle or Uber to HF from Dulles would be the way to get on trail fastest

++ New Posts ++