WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Weather and Trail Conditions in Southern Maine

I'm heading out to Gorham, NH next week to attempt to finish the trail (NOBO) and was wondering if some of our northern trail residents or anyone hiking in the Whites and north can give an update on trail conditions. ATweather.org says weather is rainy and in the high 60's or low 70's, but if anyone has more insight, I'd like to hear it.

Are the black flies still raging or have they calmed down some?

Thanks!
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Black flies are still raging down low. Mosquitoes have started. Bring a bugnet. Most of the trails have been cleared at this point, you shouldn't run into too many blowdowns. Weather seems about right. Colder at night, low 40s.

I live in Gorham, the black flies have reduced somewhat but the mosquitoes have moved in with a vengeance. I was out on Saturday in the Kilkenny range and as long as there was breeze the bugs were tolerable but at the trailheads and out of the breeze they were aggressive. The first few days of the Mahoosuc trail can be very bad for mosquitoes. There are still a few patches of snow on the presidentials which implies that some of the deep dark holes like Mahoosuc Notch may be "interesting" as the temps have been below normal for most of the spring.

Lot to be said for a bug net and a long lasting repellent. I use 3M Ultrathon due to lower Deet content but longer lasting. It still can get cold at night if there is clear sky.

Long range forecast is the possibility of rapid warmup.

The Mahoosuc trail had plenty of blowdowns a month ago around Gentian Pond.

Thanks for the input. I have a 30 degree sleeping bag, which should be alright - I hope.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

It got to 86 at my house this afternoon. A bit on the humid side too. But rain coming in for the weekend. Just in time for our first volunteer work trip on Star King Trail.

It might be back and forth for another week before full on summer is here to stay and I bet it will be a hot one again. Last weekend was Fathers day so the black files are suppose to be gone now. Sure they are. You probably don't want to be hanging around small streams for long and the boggy areas will have the sketters. There will be lots of boggy areas.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I did the Fire Warden's/Horns Pond Loop on Bigelow a few days ago. Flies weren't too bad yet, but mosquitoes were thick down lower in the shade. Water was plentiful but not to the point where it impeded walking. Still a bit of snow in the shaded areas....nothing serious, but it was there.

This current spell of rain will keep the water supplies high and, once the sun comes out, cause a big hatch of flies.

Seen a lot more rain than black flies the past three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Seen a lot more rain than black flies the past three days.
    Don't worry, they will be back as soon as it warms up again this week.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Thanks for the input. I have a 30 degree sleeping bag, which should be alright - I hope.
    That will be enough. It's only getting down into the mid-50's at sea level, so up at elevation at worst it should only get down into the mid-to-high-40's. Which is frankly quite nice. Bugs are already in force up here, and since we had a relatively warm winter, the ticks are out in big numbers... do a tick check at least twice a day, is my advice.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Well, I'm in Gorham and heading for Pinkham Notch tomorrow to start hiking NOBO. The high was expected to be 85 and after a 3 hour walk through town running errands, it hit that 85 or more. After leaving the furnace that is Florida in summer, I was hoping for at least temps in the 70's.

And the flies... I was attacked as soon as I left my room and had to dive back in and grab the insect repellant from my pack. It didn't help much though. I can't wait to see what they're like on the trail.

Welcome to Gorham Sailor!

I hiked up to Dream Lake this afternoon and it was a hot one alright. Summer has definately arrived. The mosquitos were bad below 2500 feet, but once up high they didn't seem too bad and Black Flies were in tolerable numbers, but I've learned to mostly ignor them.

With the primary threat being afternoon showers, I would suggest an early start and try to be where you want to be by about 2 PM, 3 at the latest.

Update on flies in Maine...My wife and I spent the past couple days at our remote camp....just about the same latitude as Millinocket but over on the border with Quebec.

Mosquitoes are going full bore. As a matter of fact, we had the door to camp propped open (to do work) for a few hours Tuesday, and we had to sleep with bug jackets on that night. It was bad.

Yesterday, the black flies started to come out when the sun showed, and I actually saw a few brass heads flying around me as I got water from the spring.

Once we get some good heat, there's gonna be a large hatch.

I use Ben's 100 fly dope when they get really bad. It works well for me, but be aware that it will melt plastics....I usually go through 2-3 pairs of cheap reading glasses when we go up to camp this time of year.

When the flies are at their peak, not much will keep them from swarming. Like Slo-go'en said, you gotta learn to ignore them.

++ New Posts ++