WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trip #65 - Roan Highlands

Another attempt to see peak bloom of the rhododendrons....another year missed lol This was my 8th trip across the Roan Highlands and although we were a week behind peak bloom the trail still did not disappoint. The flaming azaleas and Gray's Lilly could not have been better and water was flowing out of every source at under 1 liter in 10 seconds.
    Total trail traveled was 17.5 miles. From Carvers gap SOBO up to the top of roan high knob, Saturday morning back NOBO past the cars and onward to 19E.
    I had never gotten water at stand Murray shelter but this trip I needed it and I wanted to check out that water source and I can say it is a good one.
    Some of the best water I have had on trail and I've past it all these times. From the look of the water weeds I would say it flows pretty steady all year long but I could be wrong.
    Didn't go down to the barn had no reason to.
    The 2 water sources between the barn and Bradley gap were both flowing well and the we stayed at the Doll Flatt's site Saturday night and that water was flowing very well too.

On a negative note, as Tipi Walter would say, I saw 2 instances of rednecks on the trail. Some tool decided to spraypaint the rock head up out of carvers gap NOBO and some hangers decided to rekindle a scout fire at Doll Flatts to burn trash they could have thrown away in 3 miles at the end of their hike, and then they walked off from it while the fire was still burning. So I had to babysit that crap until it was out. Otherwise a great trip.

IMG_3202.JPG IMG_3189.JPG IMG_3194.jpg IMG_3188.JPG IMG_3222.JPG IMG_3228.JPG IMG_3208.JPG IMG_3225.JPG IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3246.jpg IMG_3260.jpg
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Another attempt to see peak bloom of the rhododendrons....another year missed lol This was my 8th trip across the Roan Highlands and although we were a week behind peak bloom the trail still did not disappoint. The flaming azaleas and Gray's Lilly could not have been better and water was flowing out of every source at under 1 liter in 10 seconds.
    Total trail traveled was 17.5 miles. From Carvers gap SOBO up to the top of roan high knob, Saturday morning back NOBO past the cars and onward to 19E.
    I had never gotten water at stand Murray shelter but this trip I needed it and I wanted to check out that water source and I can say it is a good one.
    Some of the best water I have had on trail and I've past it all these times. From the look of the water weeds I would say it flows pretty steady all year long but I could be wrong.
    Didn't go down to the barn had no reason to.
    The 2 water sources between the barn and Bradley gap were both flowing well and the we stayed at the Doll Flatt's site Saturday night and that water was flowing very well too.

On a negative note, as Tipi Walter would say, I saw 2 instances of rednecks on the trail. Some tool decided to spraypaint the rock head up out of carvers gap NOBO and some hangers decided to rekindle a scout fire at Doll Flatts to burn trash they could have thrown away in 3 miles at the end of their hike, and then they walked off from it while the fire was still burning. So I had to babysit that crap until it was out. Otherwise a great trip.

IMG_3202.JPG IMG_3189.JPG IMG_3194.jpg IMG_3188.JPG IMG_3222.JPG IMG_3228.JPG IMG_3208.JPG IMG_3225.JPG IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3246.jpg IMG_3260.jpg

That day I met you and the Red Head, I won't soon forget. That will be a place I return, at the same time I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    That day I met you and the Red Head, I won't soon forget. That will be a place I return, at the same time I hope!
    You have proven you wont. That was 3 years and 26 trips ago but you always mention it every time I go to Roan...
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

You have proven you wont. That was 3 years and 26 trips ago but you always mention it every time I go to Roan...
    Come on now!!!!! I've been knocking out New Hampshire, these past 3 summers.............I've got plenty of miles left in these old legs. I'll get back there! I'll let you know, and we can camp on the Grassy Ridge! I want to walk Fontana to Hot Springs one day........................after I'm done with NH!

Good stuff! Doing Erwin to Carvers Gap in late August then Carvers Gap to Kincora in late October. Been looking forward to these sections for a while now.

Leonidas

Jealous. You got some great Gray's Lily shots! All the stands I found were in early morning/low light. That section is definitely beautiful, glad it was cool when we went through early this month.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Nice pics. Doing the Highlands during peak bloom has been on my list, but looks like it's gonna be at least another year. I've been in the Fall which was also gorgeous, and my big section through there in May coincided with heavy rain/fog/wind, but was still very memorable and dare I say fun.
    It is what it is.

Images

Are you counting your trips so you can be the next Tipi Walter?

You've got a long way to go to catch him :-D
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post

Well its a good thing im so young lol

Tipi is in his own world lol pack weight and geography/ trails of choice will always be contrasting differences between us. Not that there is anything wrong with one over the other.

Cool

Thanks for the inspiring report. We drove 19E on our way back west last week. Someday I'll park and hike a bit.
    Seems like bear spray might come in handy up there. I'm kidding of course.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Nice pics, number 7 is a fantastic shot. Heading to NC next week, it will be great to get in some mountain time.

Bravo Gambit. Thanks for the report and pics. Roan continues to be a favorite for me and the Mrs.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post

Note that his face doesn't grace the pics, so obviously not the next Tipi. LOL
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++