WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cheese recommendation

What kind of cheese would last without going bad-this question is in preparation for my A.T. Thu hike in 2020

The sharpest cheese you can find. We used to use Cracker Barrel, nice size/shape and available almost anywhere. Or get individually wrapped cheese, including string cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    The sharpest cheese you can find. We used to use Cracker Barrel, nice size/shape and available almost anywhere. Or get individually wrapped cheese, including string cheese.
    Why not both? CB makes a great aged white cheddar that comes in wrapped sticks. You don't want to know what percentage of my food bag is comprised of these sticks, but I can vouch for how well they hold up to extreme, real world conditions and remain "edible"
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'm partial to the wrapped sticks when it's likely to be warm - keeps the oil contained.

Babybel, Laughing Cow, plain old mozzarella sticks, that cheap crappy single serve cheddar sticks wrapped in thick plastic. At worst, it only lasts a day or two before it gets nasty looking and unappetizing, but it probably won't make you sick, and you've had delicious cheese for two or three days, or longer if the weather is cooler. I started out kind of picky, and after the hiker hunger kicked in, got much less fussy about buying convenience store cheese.

Smoked Gouda does well.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Not sure if you can get this in the US, but we usually carry chunks of Swiss Emmentaler and a similar type of Austrian cheese, in vacuum sealed plastic. Its basically one of our main staple when hiking.
    During the last desert hike I carried several chunks for 6 weeks in the pack, day and night, hot and cold, and it was still tasty, even as it was smelling worse than my trailrunners towards the end-of-life.
    You can easily poison yourself with spoiled fish or meat, but nearly impossible to do so with rotten cheese.

Nothing to worry about until it starts to get consistently hot out.

When it does get hot, wrapping block cheese in cheese cloth works surprisingly well for some reason. Or in a pinch, brown paper bag if you can find one these days. With cheese cloth or paper bag, they absorb the surface oil and makes a thin crusty layer which is much less prone to getting moldy or slimy. This method does require the cheese to be also carried in a mesh bag so it can dry out.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Kraft mac n cheese minus the mac, as Baltimore Jack used to call it orange death powder. That and Twinkies will get you to 2025.

Hard cheeses with a rind last the longest. There was a longer thread about 18 months back asking this same question.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

the harder the cheese, the longer it'll go.

the more individually packed, the longer it'll go.

The Legion used to carry and subsist on Locatelli pecorino made from sheep’s milk on Sardinia - pretty good stuff and available at Safeway or other big food stores. My fav to day is “unexpected cheddar” from Trader Joe’s.

For your consideration, baked cheese bites such as Moon Cheese and Trader Joe's Cheese Bites.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For your consideration, baked cheese bites such as Moon Cheese and Trader Joe's Cheese Bites.
    Neat, I'd never heard of this before.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I am a cheese lover. Last year I ordered a case of "Moon Cheese' to use as lightweight hiking food. I gave most of it away as it tasted like salty cardboard with a cheese flavor, to my old taste receptors.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by greensleep View Post
    I am a cheese lover. Last year I ordered a case of "Moon Cheese' to use as lightweight hiking food. I gave most of it away as it tasted like salty cardboard with a cheese flavor, to my old taste receptors.
    The several packages I’ve tried haven’t even had the cheese flavour … I haven’t tried it as a fire starter yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just scrape the mold off and enjoy.

The harder the better. Some hard cheeses don't ever require refrigeration.

Make your own "Moon Cheese" by melting tablespoons of parmasean cheese in the oven. Sort of like crackers. Lasts a long time hiking.

Images

Cabot Seriously Sharp is great. Or any kind of cheese stick will also last a while.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++