WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Food Bag

Default Food Bag

What is the average size food bag. 3 liter or what?

Google. Search button. Etc.

For what? For an overnighter? For a thru? For a weekend?

Typically backpackers on the AT carry a 10-15L food bag. Can usually put 3-5 days of backpacking food in it.

I now use a 12x20 OPsak.

I use to use a Zpacks Food Bag.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Definitely depends on your food resupply plans and what types of food you plan to cook. My food bags are silnylon I made myself and they are about the size of sleeping bag stuff sack. They were set up for 5 day resupplies. They do not weigh much.

Default Food Bag

AT thru hike

14 liter Zpacks rectangle. It was probably the most expensive per ounce item I bought, but I was very happy with the capacity and the "dig through it ability" wider opening, as opposed to the folks with the long skinny bags who had to empty them out to get at items at the bottom.

I’m not a thru hiker yet but this is the most persuasive argument for such a bag. I can’t even imagine at the end of the day having to empty all that Jazz. Good pointer amigo!

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    14 liter Zpacks rectangle. It was probably the most expensive per ounce item I bought, but I was very happy with the capacity and the "dig through it ability" wider opening, as opposed to the folks with the long skinny bags who had to empty them out to get at items at the bottom.

I currently use an Ursak with Opsak liner. If I were to use a hanging bag I would like at the LiteAF models over Zpacks. The LiteAF have a wide bottom and a larger opening which reduces the need to dump the entire sack to find items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the blue zpacks foodbag and could not be happier. I have time after time after time woken up to hiking friends cussing at mice that have chewed thru their tent to get at their food bag that is not in a bag designed for food containment. I have never had the first mouse problem. It is big enough for a quite large resupply and I havent had a food carry larger then I could put in my blue bag.

Zpacks Large Food Bag
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I use the blue zpacks foodbag and could not be happier. I have time after time after time woken up to hiking friends cussing at mice that have chewed thru their tent to get at their food bag that is not in a bag designed for food containment. I have never had the first mouse problem. It is big enough for a quite large resupply and I havent had a food carry larger then I could put in my blue bag.

Zpacks Large Food Bag
    Just an FYI, they come in Olive Drab too. The large top opening makes for easy searching without removing everything from the bag.

Leonidas

I was using a 13L bag until I switched to a BV500.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

++ New Posts ++