Default Local man hiking Appalachian Trail - Wicked Local

Local man hiking Appalachian Trail  Wicked Local

Two months ago, 31-year-old Watertown resident Matthew “Matt” Brown quit his comfortable nine-to-five job at athenahealth to hike the Appalachian Trail.

More...

Anyone know which tarp he was using?Lots of people use hammocks and tarps with no issues.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Wrong tarp, wrong pitch or just not knowing how. I have been through some serious storms and torrential downpours and have never been wet in a hammock. I have even survived a tornado in one.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Yeah I thought myself that a decision to ground would never be because I get wet...not with my gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by T.S.Kobzol; 06-17-2019 at 13:01.
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Yeah I thought myself that a decision to ground would never be because I get wet...not with my gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Definitely a learning curve with hammocks, which is why a whole separate forum exists!

I did a trip recently (Laurel Highlands in PA) where it rained a fair bit and I didn't get wet even with a hex tarp with no doors.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Images

I have a couple of hammocks, a ENO double nest, and I got a Ultimate double on a web deal, I can kick back and relax in one, but I know I would not sleep well in one in any sagged position. That’s just me. I have met many folks ( even old trampers like me) that find them comfortable. Personally, I’ll take a flat ground, or lean-to deck with a air mat any day.

Hammocks are not for everybody.Too bad Mr Brown got drenched early in his hike and gave up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Hammocks are not for everybody.Too bad Mr Brown got drenched early in his hike and gave up on them.
    In a way it's good because that leaves more trees for you and me. Imagine the situation if everybody hammocked!
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

++ New Posts ++