WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The image of SBF is one I won't ever forget, been there twice. NoBo AT hike in May 2010, stopped there for pizza and a break in mid afternoon, then hiked on to the next shelter. Curtis was running the place at the time, with the usual gang of colorful hikers and characters there that day.

But the stop I really remember fondly was a Smokies hike in Nov-2013.

I drove up from Florida, spent the night in the SBF bunkroom, by myself, and Curtis (R.I.P.) shuttled me to Fontana Dam before sunrise the next morning.... as I crashed in the bunkroom, I could hear the shouting and music from the adjoining building where the "crew" was up partying late that night. One guy there told me he was working there for the season, but more interested in hustling any young female hikers who came thru there. He seemed to fancy himself as quite the AT Casanova. Maybe he's here on White Blaze now, and his reputation has spread up and down the trail amongst the ladies.

Looking back, that shuttle ride with Curtis to Fontana Dam before sunrise... was one of the best shuttles I ever had. He shared many memories and history, he was one of a kind, and the AT misses Curtis. We told jokes and laughed our butts off on that shuttle. Got a picture of him at Fontana Dam when he dropped me off that morning, he wished me luck and said he'd see me when I got back to SBF in a few days.

Few days later when I got back to SBF to get my car, as I walked down that gravel road to SBF, here comes Curtis with a vanload of hikers on another shuttle heading out. He slowed down rolled down his window, looked at me like he didn't recognize me....and said loudly, with a wink of his eye "get that POS car of yours off my property!"
    I laughed and he drove off, last time I saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    I thought this was going to be some kind of joke. Goldilocs staying at the Bear hostel?
    ok.. that was pretty funny.. I received my trail name because I do infact have light colored locs, but I am also terrified of bears and like everything just right. Backpacking has been a way for me to get over the last two parts.

Thanks all for the comments. I am not in contact with Maria and believe all will be well

'Not' in contact or 'Now' in contact?

I agree, give it a pass and spend an extra day in Hot Springs.

At SB, we checked out the little shack in which they were selling a poor selection of packaged food and candy, and noticed that they were selling off equipment mailed to them by hikers who hadn't shown up yet. I guess they never thought of returning the packages to owners! We lost all respect for the establishment at that point...

:banana Nah, we don’t sell your gear

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I agree, give it a pass and spend an extra day in Hot Springs.

At SB, we checked out the little shack in which they were selling a poor selection of packaged food and candy, and noticed that they were selling off equipment mailed to them by hikers who hadn't shown up yet. I guess they never thought of returning the packages to owners! We lost all respect for the establishment at that point...
    Hi, Sparrows, section hiker 2007-2017 GA-NH, GA-MA 2018. I’m currently working for stay at Standing Bear. I can’t say much about the phone situation because I just do the cleaning, cooking, PR, advertising, gardening and customer relations (lol) but I just wanted to clarify that the used gear in our resupply comes from the Goodwill outlet in Asheville. Check it out if you’re ever in Asheville, it’s the mother of all thrift stores!!!

Peace, love, hiker grease!

Quote Originally Posted by Maple_Sky View Post
    Hi, Sparrows, section hiker 2007-2017 GA-NH, GA-MA 2018. I’m currently working for stay at Standing Bear. I can’t say much about the phone situation because I just do the cleaning, cooking, PR, advertising, gardening and customer relations (lol) but I just wanted to clarify that the used gear in our resupply comes from the Goodwill outlet in Asheville. Check it out if you’re ever in Asheville, it’s the mother of all thrift stores!!!
    Peace, love, hiker grease!

Sparrows: My husband and I will be passing through your area next week! We will stop by to see you and that "mother of all thrift stores." Watch for us!
    ~Einstein & "CF"

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Sparrows: My husband and I will be passing through your area next week! We will stop by to see you and that "mother of all thrift stores." Watch for us!
    ~Einstein & "CF"
    Shelb, we look forward to seeing y’all!

lawd..Am in contact

i will be spending a week in hot springs so wont be an issue to spend a night at sbh

hey Hiker Grease.. thanks for the claification on the gear being sold. I heard on a different forum something similar that drop offs werent safe, and it was causing me concern. Thanks for claification. it didnt sound like a good business plan for future business!! i will be rolling in on the 3rd of July.
    Goldielocs

Hot Springs:

Get brunch at Mosaic.
    Get a wood fired pizza and homemade mozzarella sticks @ Spring Creek Tavern.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++