WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Rusty’s Hard Time Hallow is currently reopened

Rusty’s Hard Time Hollow in Virginia 16.7 miles south of Rockfish Gap is currently up for sale.

Rusty has had health issues recently and will be moving once his property has sold. He has listed it with a realtor and there is a promotional website. You can view the listing and see a video online at www.rustyshardtimehollow.com.

Rusty wants 2019 hikers to visit since this might be his final year owning the property. He especially would like to see previous hikers and friends.

This is one of the original AT hostels from days past; visit before it becomes history.

Call and talk to Rusty at 540-377-9742 if you have questions or would like to visit or stay.

To get to Rusty’s from Maupin Field Shelter turn left on fire road (just north of Maupin Field Shelter), walk 1.2 miles west to the Blue Ridge Parkway, then turn left (south), walk or hitch the parkway 1.3 miles to Rusty’s driveway on the left, at BRP mile 16.7. Gravel driveway has a gray, pipe gate with Rusty’s name and AT stickers on one end. Thru-hikers and section hikers are welcome. The no-trespassing signs are for the non-hikers. Rustic hostel includes a cabin, bunkhouse, springhouse, outhouse, rainwater shower, tent sites available. Shuttles to Waynesboro occasionally and back to the fire road, if you pitch in for gas. Rides to nearby Sherando Lake for swimming during hot weather. Donations for stay are encouraged. No illegal drugs permitted on the premises.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Rusty’s Hard Time Hallow is now taking on hikers for the remainder of the 2019 season.

I have just been advised that Rusty has putting his place up for sale. In the meantime he is not allowing hikers.
    Confusion, and I don't think it's my summer head cold.

First line says "now taking" and second line says "he is not allowing".
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Confusion, and I don't think it's my summer head cold.

First line says "now taking" and second line says "he is not allowing".
    Thank you for pointing that out. I think I have made the proper corrections and updated the first post.
    AT Troll (2010)

The stuff of legends, I never got to go but this was the place in the 90's!!! So sorry I missed it on my first hike

Aw man, I hope another hiker gets it. I loved that place back in '98.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

He is looking for another hiker to purchase it. Unfortunately, that does not look like the case.
    "I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." ~John Burroughs

"...follow the day and reach for the sun!" ~ Polyphonic Spree

Hiked an old alignment of the AT between Harper's Creek and Tye River earlier this year and came across an old, deteriorating sign for Rusty's.
    IMG_4582.jpeg

Images

I see in both the 2020 Whiteblaze Pages and The AT Guide Rusty's is planning to be open again this year.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I see in both the 2020 Whiteblaze Pages and The AT Guide Rusty's is planning to be open again this year.
    Rusty's reopened last year (2019) in about June.
    AT Troll (2010)

My guess is its open until sold. Surprised someone didnt pick it up for a vacation home site.

Images

I stopped by to visit on my way back from from Thanksgiving a little over a month ago. He thought he had a serious offer & had even started packing & looking into other properties. The prosective buyer kept adding new demands that just got rediculous & slae ended. He has now reconsidered & decided to keep the property & resume opening for the NOBO season. He believes that the failing of the deal is a sign that God didn't want it to happen & has taken it off the market.

It has changed somewhat since I last stayed thier for Y2K, Most hasn't. Rusty still is as spry as he was 20 years ago. He nowhas electric & phone but don't plan on wifi or cell signal. It remains a rustic! HTH.jpgI wouldn't even attempt to get down his driveway without a high clearance vehicle.

++ New Posts ++