WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default WTB: Thermarest AirTap

airtab.jpeg
    I love using this to inflate my NeoAir and I'm wanting to get one for my son.
    Didn't realize they've been discontinued and I can't seem to find any online anywhere.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

If you can't find one, here's a link to a home-made version that I use. If your son is still young, a great father-son project!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGW_b-sdGRc

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    If you can't find one, here's a link to a home-made version that I use. If your son is still young, a great father-son project!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGW_b-sdGRc
    Thanks for sharing.

The idea is pretty simple. My main concerns with the idea is will the cap stay on the inflation valve without having to hold it in place, and will the wider cap still be able to store in the pads stuff sack.

My alternative is for one of us to just do what I used to do before I got the tap... A bag and rubber bands. You cut a small hole in the corner of a bag, turn the bag inside out and slide it over the pads valve, yse a rubber band to firmly have the bag be attached to the valve, and turn the bag eight side out again to inflate.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The idea is pretty simple. My main concerns with the idea is will the cap stay on the inflation valve without having to hold it in place, and will the wider cap still be able to store in the pads stuff sack.
    As long as you don't try to blow it up in 10 seconds (i.e. put outrageous pressure on it), the cap is snug enough to stay on the Thermarest or Nemo valve.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

04/14/2020 Amazon has 10 of these in stock at the moment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NBF9Z8

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Got my AirTap kits in the mail today (one for my son, and a back-up for me since these are now discontinued).

Obviously these were not all that popular, but I've loved them for my purposes.

There's still 8 more left. Unfortunately, they are nearly $19. Definitely expensive compared to the $10-$15 they used to be sold at (and even then, that was expensive for what you get).

But if there's anyone else interested in these, this is THE only place I ever found them online and IN-STOCK.

I love them, because you can use them with ANY bag (I use a standard kitchen garbage bag with the handles cut out).
    Keeps you from having to use a bunch of lung power at the end of the day, but the main reason I started using them was to minimize the amount of moisture inside my Therm-a-rest.
    The 1st NeoAir I owned had a problem with the reflective layer delaminating, and moisture seemed to accelerate the problem.

I watched a video on inflating mattresses with a plastic bag years ago.
    Yeah, this method it takes a little practice, but not much.
    The pre-shaping of the hole with your finger is critical.
    Here's a link to a video with the basic idea.

I use this on all my various air mattreses including Thermarest, Sea-to-Summit, Big Agnes, REI Flash, and who know what else. I love the simplicity and versatility. And again, with a little practice, it's quite easy on any of them. I don't understand why anyone would use either their breath or a special device after figuring out this technique. But hey, HYOH.

But mostly, have fun!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Anyone have a hack for blowing up pads with the flat valves? I wish the manufacturers would settle on one standard design so you wouldn't have to buy... a new pump... with... each... pad... oh, I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Anyone have a hack for blowing up pads with the flat valves? . . .
    Yeah, the above technique works fine with flat valves also. You wrap your thumb and index finger around the flat valve similar to wrapping them around the smaller diameter valves that stand up above the surface of the mattress. Imagine holding the lid of a small bottle inside a pillowcase and then grabbing and encircling that lid with your other hand from the outside of the pillowcase. It works surprisingly well.

Good luck.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Yeah, the above technique works fine with flat valves also. You wrap your thumb and index finger around the flat valve similar to wrapping them around the smaller diameter valves that stand up above the surface of the mattress. Imagine holding the lid of a small bottle inside a pillowcase and then grabbing and encircling that lid with your other hand from the outside of the pillowcase. It works surprisingly well.

Good luck.
    :::: thanks, off to the laboratory:::

++ New Posts ++