WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    So you may be subject to assault anywhere but from my perspective the probability lessens in the more rural areas in any state;especially those where grits are served.
    Might I recommend you read some books? "The Sun Does Shine" by Anthony Ray Hinton and "The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist." Blatant systemic racism by Southern criminal justice government officials is alive and well in the old Confederate State, which literally has never gotten over the Civil War. It's even got a name, "The Lost Cause" (another book).
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Might I recommend you read some books? "The Sun Does Shine" by Anthony Ray Hinton and "The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist." Blatant systemic racism by Southern criminal justice government officials is alive and well in the old Confederate State, which literally has never gotten over the Civil War. It's even got a name, "The Lost Cause" (another book).
    So,are you suggesting that the Southern states have cornered the market on racism and hate crimes?
    I have lived "down here" almost 67 years and can assure you that the majority of the people are harmless and most are downright civil and polite.

Journal Entries

So,are you suggesting that the Southern states have cornered the market on racism and hate crimes?
    I have lived "down here" almost 67 years and can assure you that the majority of the people are harmless and most are downright civil and polite.
    From dept of justice site, hate crimes in 2017... Note that 1/7 of total in US basically occurs in California!! 1/2 of those in NY are against JEWISH people!

California - 1077
    new York- 542
    NJ - 450
    MI - 411
    AZ - 288
    TX - 192
    Washington DC - 193
    VA -201
    NC- 166
    GA- 28
    AR - 7
    AL - 9
    MS - 1
    FL - 145

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    From dept of justice site, hate crimes in 2017... Note that 1/7 occurs in California!! 1/2 in NY are against JEWISH people!

California - 1077
    new York- 542
    NJ - 450
    MI - 411
    AZ - 288
    TX - 192
    Washington DC - 193
    VA -201
    NC- 166
    GA- 28
    AR - 7
    AL - 9
    MS - 1
    FL - 145
    If you look at someone the wrong way in CA it’s a hate crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieDust66 View Post
    If you look at someone the wrong way in CA it’s a hate crime.

large cities mostly , from what i recall from sociology in college. People in close quarters are affected by it.

Thank you,MW,for proving my point.I would argue that Virginia and Florida are not really Southern states anymore but I am totally shocked and disappointed in the numbers from Texas and North Carolina.

Actually they were my 13th birthday present and purchased for only $50 back when items like that were considered "worthless old stuff." Yes,they each have dates of manufacture inscribed before the war started.
    Very cool. I hope whoever you pass those down to understands that. I love relic hunting here in VA. Always exciting digging up little pieces of history.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Searching Southern Poverty Law Center's website I noticed a symbol for a Neo-Nazi organization on their hate map near Damascus. Searching further, it seems that the head of the National Alliance lives near Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee, which is about six miles south of Damascus. It therefore seems that the incident involving the owners of Hey Joe's, may reflect a greater local issue. Check out these links:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/...cking-employee

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...ional-alliance

Also I have read in the past of police claiming what appear to be a hate crimes as drug deals gone bad. Check this out:

https://jewishjournal-com.cdn.amppro...fred-wright%2F
    As a resident of New Orleans, I'm disappointed that you are calling yourself Dr. John. You have intentionally stirred up racial animus on a hiking message board with your post. The real, and late, Dr. John was about acceptance and peace, not trolling a hikers.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Originally Posted by Five Tango
    So you may be subject to assault anywhere but from my perspective the probability lessens in the more rural areas in any state;especially those where grits are served.

The grit connection.... could work like saltpeter I suppose, though more study would be in order to see if it stifles violent tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Originally Posted by Five Tango

FYI,I was not trying to impune the northern states.My point is that rural areas anywhere are generally safer than metropolitan areas anywhere,and that certainly includes southern metropolitan areas.So there is really nothing to fear from rural locals once you get into "the grit zone."Incidentally,the zone starts in southern Ohio as I was pleasantly surprised to see them there.

The grit connection.... could work like saltpeter I suppose, though more study would be in order to see if it stifles violent tendencies.
    For some reason people have some sort of phobia still about those of us in the South.There was a time that those concerns may have been justified but today it is simply not the case.

Journal Entries

For some reason people have some sort of phobia still about those of us in the South.There was a time that those concerns may have been justified but today it is simply not the case.
    A while back (maybe 2-3 years ago) a woman joined WB and posted a thread questioning whether it was safe for a lesbian to hike in the rural South. Annoyed, I briefly considered a sarcastic response about us hillbillies wandering about on the trail looking for sexual deviants to attack...

Instead, I sighed and held my tongue.

My sister (in Texas) just finished a road trip with her kids. As she was going through a small town in another state (I do not recall) she saw what looked to be an old church being reused. The signage was clearly recruiting for the KKK (or the like). Her kids could tell something was off by the words on the signs and asked why some people hate jewish or black people. The concerns are still justified unfortunately.

For those of you interested in actual per capita statistics for hate crimes by state per 100,000 in population you might want to check this link https://safer-america.com/map-of-rep...-in-the-u-s-a/
    (Per capita infor is listed if you scroll down the page in the link)
    Listing the AT states based on hate crimes per 100,000 here the most dangerous states listed from high to low:

Massachusetts 6.37
    New Jersey 5.50
    Vermont 5.45
    Connecticut 3.09
    New York 2.80
    Maine 2.40
    Virginia 2.28
    Tennessee 2.03
    West Virginia 1.95
    North Carolina 1.62
    New Hampshire 1.00
    Maryland .79
    Pennsylvania .61
    Georgia .30

A lot of bubbaphobia out there.

For those of you interested in actual per capita statistics for hate crimes by state per 100,000 in population you might want to check this link https://safer-america.com/map-of-rep...-in-the-u-s-a/
    Listing the AT states based on hate crimes per 100,000 here the most dangerous states listed from high to low:

Massachusetts 6.37
    New Jersey 5.50
    Vermont 5.45
    Connecticut 3.09
    New York 2.80
    Maine 2.40
    Virginia 2.28
    Tennessee 2.03
    West Virginia 1.95
    North Carolina 1.62
    New Hampshire 1.00
    Maryland .79
    Pennsylvania .61
    Georgia .30
    Top six states are in the north, mmmmmm

Journal Entries
    Images

Massachusetts 6.37
    New Jersey 5.50
    Vermont 5.45
    Connecticut 3.09
    New York 2.80
    Maine 2.40
    Virginia 2.28
    Tennessee 2.03
    West Virginia 1.95
    North Carolina 1.62
    New Hampshire 1.00
    Maryland .79
    Pennsylvania .61
    Georgia .30
    Here is a screen shot from the link provided.

Fake news?

AD6289BE-14F6-4CB3-B423-0778BCCBA128.png

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Here is a screen shot from the link provided.

Fake news?

AD6289BE-14F6-4CB3-B423-0778BCCBA128.png
    I’m confused, what part are you saying is fake?. He extracted the data for the 13 states the AT passes through, from the table of all states you provided a screenshot of. The site says the data is based on hate crimes reported to the the FBI in 2017.

In the Trump south you will run into this in other towns.Seems like the rednecks with their rebel flags in the back of their trucks are numerous.Just be careful when your in those towns and back roads.

They are not on the trail,,they are in the towns,,just look around,they are not hard to spot.(rednecks)

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieDust66 View Post
    Top six states are in the north, mmmmmm

And governed by liberal/progressive democrats for decades

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++