Thread: Durston X-mid

Default Durston X-mid

Received mine about a week ago. Set it up in some classic New Zealand winter rain, after 30 hours not a drop got inside, my MLD Solomid XL leaked in similar conditions but I suspect that was due to poor factory seam sealing.

Very excited about my X-mid, feels twice as big as my Tarptent Notch and MLD Solomid. The off-set poles change everything. Awesome design, easy to enter/exit, massive vestibules and only 4 stakes needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Watson View Post
    Received mine about a week ago. Set it up in some classic New Zealand winter rain, after 30 hours not a drop got inside, my MLD Solomid XL leaked in similar conditions but I suspect that was due to poor factory seam sealing.

Very excited about my X-mid, feels twice as big as my Tarptent Notch and MLD Solomid. The off-set poles change everything. Awesome design, easy to enter/exit, massive vestibules and only 4 stakes needed.
    There has been about 20 pages of chat about this tent on trek-lite.com. I'm waiting for the 2P version of this tent to be released to buy...but very much looking forward to it. There have been a lot of good things said about it.

Yeah I found it by accident. I loved Skurka's design but was surprised when it came in at 2.5lbs, plus the useless extra space (9 inches all around the net tent) made no sense to me, and no vestibules. I considered getting it anyway due to the design but held off. What I love about this is that it's rectangular, and due to the angled inner tent it creates two giant, tall vestibules, and it's very easy to enter/exit. My Tarptent Notch in contrast was really frustrating to enter/exit with my bad back due to the door being in the middle, and having a pole in the way. On this design, the poles are completely out of the way - it's remarkable. Will be interesting to see the future versions of this shelter.

The only thing I see about this tent that looks questionable in the photos I've seen is how low it sits to the ground.
    Comparing it to the Notch, since you brought that up, the Notch seems to be WAY better ventilated than this X-mid.
    Is there a way to pitch it so the perimeter is two or three inches off the ground without messing up the way the inner tent sits?
    Or do you just leave the doors open a bit, even in the rain?

++ New Posts ++