WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How about rattlers that rattle but don't coil? Crept by one about a mile south of the Mohican Outdoor Center in New Jersey, stretched out with only its tail sticking out onto the path. It was very much aware of me, and I of it. What a beautiful animal! Golden phase, the hostess at MOC told me when I showed her the photo I took.

I just got back from a July trip and saw my friend William (he goes by Billy) on a trail in the NC mountains. He just ate something big and was sitting right on the trail next to a creek crossing.

Trip 198 (112)-XL.jpg

I got a long stick and prodded him off the trail so idiot rednecks wouldn't see him and kill him. He "waddled" to a big rock for safety---and off the trail.

https://youtu.be/rVOZOcZ8E8M

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

My best snake encounter. In NJ swamps on a dry trail, hunched over in a thicket above me a a black snake,looking left as far as I could see, looking tight as far as I could see. I moved ahead quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    He just ate something big and was sitting right on the trail next to a creek crossing.
    Nice. Haven't been getting out that much this summer, but have been surprised not to see a snake or three at a couple different places. Figures I saw one in February, but not June, or so far in July

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by middle to middle View Post
    My best snake encounter. In NJ swamps on a dry trail, hunched over in a thicket above me a a black snake,looking left as far as I could see, looking tight as far as I could see. I moved ahead quickly.
    Possibly a Black Rat Snake or Northern Black Racer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++