WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Jetboil stove

Default Jetboil stove

Do any use the Jetboil stove or is it's size a negative storage point against it.Thanks in advance for the input.

I have a jetboil, but not the all in one. I got the MightyMo. I can put the fuel can right into my pot when I’m done, the stove sits in the side pocket of my bag on top of my pot/fuel, and it doesn’t weigh more than a pound all together. It was also a good bit cheaper than the Flash, and still boils fast enough for me.

Journal Entries

I used it, but it depends if it's worth it vs a smaller and lighter stove. For me, 2 people = Jetboil, it's like it's really made for 2 and the weight and fuel weight is diluted among 2 people, so is a very light option for two. Short trip, lightweight canister stove if the small canister covers fuel needs (here the Jetboil might come up on top if one needs 2 canisters for the small stove but one for the Jetboil due to it's higher efficiency). Long distance trip which will need resupply stops including fuel = Jetboil if there will be need for lots of hot water, something else if hot water needs are small.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For weekend trips, I use a Snow Peak LiteMax and MSR titanium pot to save weight.
    But when I hiked the JMT over the course of weeks, I used my JetBoil to save fuel.
    I haven't found size to be an issue since the pot is designed to hold a fuel canister and the burner.
    BTW: I've effectively got a MicroMo. I already owned the Aluminum Sol, and I pair it with the burner from a MiniMo I purchased on clearance to get the better burner.

A note about fuel:
    I was in Dick’s Sporting Goods last week.
    110 gram canisters = $5.00
    230 gram canisters = $6.00
    Even the New Math can figure out that the 230 gram canisters are a NO BRAINER!
    I own and enjoy an Aluminum JetBoil Sol. And several other stoves for various occasions.
    Wayne

Images

I don't think the Jetboil's (nested) size is that much worse than other canister stoves. Your still carrying a pot, canister and stove. Its big pluses are fuel efficiency, fast boil time, and reasonable wind performance without an additional windscreen. Its cons are that to get that efficiency the heat exchanger pot is heavier than a plain pot. The JB pots also aren't particularly good for actual cooking (and cleaning) - the MiniMo pot is somewhat better than the traditional taller and narrower JB pots. I have an original from when they first came out (on permanent loan to my daughter), and a Sol Ti which still gets used regularly. I never had any problem with the Ti pot, but I've never overheated it nor used it for anything other than boiling water, as JB instructs. There were many problems with the brazed heat exchanger fins separating from the Ti pot causing the Ti version to be discontinued.

For short 2 to 3 day hikes, a heat exchanger pot like a JB - or an Olicamp or other finned pot with stove of choice - is probably a slight weight penalty over a regular pot. But if you're out longer, the additional pot weight can save you from carrying a second canister, or save the weight of carrying more of a less efficient fuel like alcohol. A number of years ago Sgt. Rock did a very detailed analysis of carried weight vs fuel/stove choice, regarding alcohol vs canister vs white gas. As I remember, I believe the "break even" is around day 4 or so where canisters and fuel efficiency start to outperform alcohol from a carried weight perspective. But the differences are measured in grams and ounces, not pounds.

IMO, pick a stove and cookpot combo that works for the type of cooking you do. Some people like to cook up meals directly in a pot, which also lends versatility to your diet. Some just add boiling water to a freezer bag. If you're going to boil pasta, rice, sauces, etc., directly in the pot, pay attention to how easy it is to regulate the stove flame to a simmer, and how easy the pot is to clean. The biggest thing is being able to prepare good meals that you enjoy. It's far more important than size and weight of any stove/pot combination. The slight difference in weight isn't worth compromising over.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    A note about fuel:
    I own and enjoy an Aluminum JetBoil Sol. And several other stoves for various occasions.
    Wayne
    The 110 fits in the jetboil. Not the 230.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I considered the small diameter on my Ti Sol a negative for fitting medium canisters. However I have several other peiecs of cooking kit that I carry that will fit (GSI mug, small campsuds bottle, lighter, mini scrubby, coffee fliter). So all in all its not a big deal.

Journal Entries

In general with a Jetboil the small canister is what you want, the large is overkill and extra weight and why are you using a Jetboil. The small can is 10+ L of boiled water, consistent and dependable. The larger one would be 22+L of boiled water. Calculate how much boiled water you need and go with that size. If you just heat the water then it would go longer.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    A note about fuel:
    Wayne
    Not really unless you like to carry extra weight. Buy the even larger size and a refill adapter to refill the small ones, if you go often enough to make it worth it.

Hey, jetboils are rad, but Shug thinks they’re too noisy!

Quote Originally Posted by randy.shopher View Post
    The 110 fits in the jetboil. Not the 230.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    The medium and large canisters fit in all of my backpacks.
    A “Worst Case” spare small canister fits in the SOL JetBoil pot. If I’m carrying the JetBoil and I feel like I might need a spare canister.
    Free fuel is good fuel.
    Wayne

I like the msr wind burner. I had a problem with the screw on jet boil system getting warped somehow and now is difficult to get off and on. The wind burner just seems a slightly better design. For me no fiddling with wind screens or getting the canister on and off burner with maybe burning my fingers. Weights are similar. Boil times similar. If you google you tube I saw a video with direct comparison a while back.

Happy hiking and cooking

Images

What is the average boil time for 2 cups of water during summer/fall temps?

What are the weights of the Jetboil type systems?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    What is the average boil time for 2 cups of water during summer/fall temps?

What are the weights of the Jetboil type systems?
    If weight is a concern, there's much lighter systems... like pairing something like a pocket rocket or LiteMax with a titanium pot.

Otherwise, where you want a JetBoil is places where it's not so much the time bit fuel consumption.

I've said it before... I use my LiteMax and titanium pot for weekend trips, used the equivalent if a JetBoil MicroMo for and extended trip on JMT, where a typical small canister lasted 12 days (dinner only) with enough fuel left that it took about 10 minutes at wide open to burn off the remaining fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Hey, jetboils are rad, but Shug thinks they’re too noisy!
    Yes! Fancy feast! Hillbilly pot! Take only the fuel need! Cook in silence! Whoooo buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++