WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trailhead Access/Parking at Burkes Garden VA

I'm looking to do a day hike from VA42 O'Lystery Pavilion (mm 558) to VA623 Burkes Garden (mm 576). Reading conflicting reports on viability of Rt623 in terms of road conditions and if parking at the TH is available. Any thoughts on best approach for this section in terms of logistics?
    Last edited by JPritch; 06-03-2019 at 17:01.
    It is what it is.

Not exactly what your looking for but if you can do that section from 42 to I77 you will saving yourself alot of driving time and headache. And even doing it from i81 to i77 would be an even better option. It is a lot of back road driving. Took me 1.5 hours to drive from Atkins exit to walker gap just south of 623.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

It's been several years since I sectioned through there. VA 623 is a driveable gravel/dirt road that switchbacks steeply up
    the side of the mountain from VA 42 in the valley. Any truck or SUV can handle it. Cars with some clearance should be ok.
    At the top, where the AT crosses, there is parking for several cars. I don't remember what reputation the place has for
    vandalism, but we left a car there for 2 days with no problem. There is very little traffic on this road.

I was there last year and the drive from VT42 to the trailhead in Burkes Garden is paved and in good condition almost the entire way. If I recall correctly, it does turn to gravel a mile or so before the trailhead and then the last 1/4 mile or so is not maintained but was able to make it with a low clearance car going very slowly. There are homes close to the trailhead so the road is maintained to that point. There is parking for several cars right where the trail crosses. All that being said, prepare for a long, slow, nauseating drive between the two points as there are a very large number of short, sharp turns up and over the mountain.

++ New Posts ++