WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yeah, hike in the rain and snow. One approach to getting solitude on summer AT and PCT thrus is I night hike having the trail to myself. I sleep during the day off trail away from the tread in some shade maybe near some water to hit a small swimming or soaking hole off the beaten path. There may be 100's of hikers in a 10 mile direction south and north but by NOT doing what others do I design solitude into every hike. First, know the mold, understand the standard how most behave. Now, don't do what they do unless you want to experience what they do. Don't allow yourself to be a cookie cutter hiker. Design your own hike. That's what HYOH is really about, NOT defending one's sharty I only have a responsibility to myself behavior.
    Last edited by Dogwood; 06-02-2019 at 11:33.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    There may be 100's of hikers in a 10 mile direction south and north but by NOT doing what others do I design solitude into every hike.
    Your approach is crazy. Crazy great!

I like to take a crepuscular approach (when allowed).

Not sure when the Huts serve breakfast in the Whites, but getting on the Trail by 5AM guarantees at least some hours of quite. I don’t remember my last stay at Lakes of The Crowds much, but I do have vivid memories of my walk up to a desolate mount Washington before rejoining my Wife for breakfast. Very different from my return later in the day.

I only saw one other SOBO on my hike (are you out there Redman?) and then only for a few days. If another thru is ever in the cards (retirement lurks), I think I would relish the crowds. Who knows? I am also thinking I would probably remove my Thruhiker patch and not bring that up, so as not to live in the past and bore people with such.

I have had plenty of time on Whiteblaze to get that out of my system (I hope). I could be the mercurial fat guy with 10 days worth of food an occasional one liner.

Journal Entries
    Images

Speaking of crazy, “Snow to Sand” is now up on Prime Video.

Its about a winter PCT hike.

Watching it now — Their solitude was sure earned.

Images

I've gone 24 hours or more without seeing anyone on the AT a few times. But those occastions are fairly rare - generally in less popular sections of trail on days with bad weather - and I usually hike outside of thru-hiker season.

The only time the AT really felt overcrowded to me was going through Grayson Highlands on a weekend in nice weather. Passing groups of day hikers every few minutes got old really fast.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by MannDude View Post
    I created this account years ago, with big plans to hike the AT a couple years after this account's creation. Life happened, and when I went to create an account a few days ago, found that I already had one created!

Well, I'm more into hiking/backpacking than I ever was. Uncertain on any specific date or goal of an actual AT thru-hike, but one thing I've learned lately is: Solo is the way to go (for me). And as my interest in the AT has been re-sparked lately, as I hike and do overnighters near my locale more and more, it got me thinking: Just how 'solo' can one really be on the AT?

I've been watching a LOT of hiking videos lately, some great AT ones. While some hikers try to present the image that they're on this great journey, alone, doing something completely radical and unheard of... Other hikers show the reality of the trail. Lots of people. Packed shelters. Hikers, everywhere. The friendships created, the temporary communities developed of a small groups and crews that come and go over the course of months on the trail. Interesting to see the different styles in how hikers choose to showcase and broadcast their thru-hike to an audience.

With that said, how long is the longest you've gone, on your solo hike, without running into another person?
    Just replying to say hi to someone living in my hometown! To answer question, I don't honestly think I've ever gone more than a day without seeing someone else. I've hiked a lot in NPs though, so even in the way backcountry there's still people.

I've also had had several days on the AT when I didn't see anyone. Usually in Fall and Winter though. I think I saw 2 other people between Buena Vista and Daleville once when our section hike had 5 straight days of rain.

Currently NOBO (although I am home nursing a sprained ankle, getting back on trail Sunday), I've never gone more than 4-5 hours without seeing someone. I hiked with the same group everyday, and camped with them as well.

Getting back on trail at McAfee, and from what I heard there is a bit of a bubble approaching. Don't really expect to have much solitude honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by MannDude View Post
    I created this account years ago, with big plans to hike the AT a couple years after this account's creation. Life happened, and when I went to create an account a few days ago, found that I already had one created!

Well, I'm more into hiking/backpacking than I ever was. Uncertain on any specific date or goal of an actual AT thru-hike, but one thing I've learned lately is: Solo is the way to go (for me). And as my interest in the AT has been re-sparked lately, as I hike and do overnighters near my locale more and more, it got me thinking: Just how 'solo' can one really be on the AT?

I've been watching a LOT of hiking videos lately, some great AT ones. While some hikers try to present the image that they're on this great journey, alone, doing something completely radical and unheard of... Other hikers show the reality of the trail. Lots of people. Packed shelters. Hikers, everywhere. The friendships created, the temporary communities developed of a small groups and crews that come and go over the course of months on the trail. Interesting to see the different styles in how hikers choose to showcase and broadcast their thru-hike to an audience.

With that said, how long is the longest you've gone, on your solo hike, without running into another person?
    If you truly want to be alone on the AT, do a late fall/winter trek in remote areas where you can't get cell service or they are closed for the season, like Mount Greylock, Mahoosuc Notch, South/North Kinsman, Mt. Moriah, Wildcat. I don't really see anyone around mid-Nov to mid-December. The Whites might still have some trekkers around that time, but they are usually the non-typical "commercial" hiker types. Trekking the Whites during the winter is a "thing" BUT you also need the right gear. It never gets overcrowded and some of the AMC huts are open for self-service during this time. You just have to bring your own provisions like food. I am planning a SOBO thu-hike because I can't stand crowds and the AT continues to get very popular. If I do see a NOBO, it would be in Maine as they rush to make the window to summit Mt. Katahdin before all the up trails close. If you like remote, remote, you should consider the CDT which is approximately 80% built. It is the least traveled of the Triple Crown trails.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++