WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If your getting up at 4:30 at a hostel, be sure to have everything ready the night before so you don't make too much noise. Go outside to pack up. Otherwise there will be a lot of other hikers really upset with you for waking them up. I really hate people who do that. Especially those who get up at 4:30, make a lot of noise packing up for the next 2 hours with their headlamps on and then don't actually leave until 7:30!
    at a shelter on my recent trip a thru hiker informed me of her intention to wake up early to try and hike 20 miles the next day. i said that was fine, it wont bother me. at something like 4 her alarm goes off and i hear her whisper to another hiker that she doesnt want to pack up in the dark. long story short i was packed up and heading out at 7:30am while they were sitting at the picnic table eating a huge breakfast.

the "thru hikers" really are cute that far south, i have to say.

all that said, i would consider waking most of the hikers at a hostel up at 4am as fair comeuppance for most likely them being awake and noisy at 11pm the night before, though i'm sure an innocent bystander or two might get caught in the crossfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If your getting up at 4:30 at a hostel, be sure to have everything ready the night before so you don't make too much noise. Go outside to pack up. Otherwise there will be a lot of other hikers really upset with you for waking them up. I really hate people who do that. Especially those who get up at 4:30, make a lot of noise packing up for the next 2 hours with their headlamps on and then don't actually leave until 7:30!
    We have a private cabin. But yeah, I would be sleeping in my hiking clothes. Eyes open, shoes on, out the door. Eat on the go. I've done this a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    I don't have my exact mileage for each day but, on my LASH from GA-PA in 2016 I left Hot springs on July 15 and arrived in Erwin on July 17, just in time for the dinner shuttle. I did this with a full pack so if you're in good shape it shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanks! That's what I want to hear!

Just to close the loop on this... I completed the hike according to plan. Day 1: Hot Springs to Log Cabin Road, Day 2: to Sam's Gap, Day 3 to Uncle Johnny's. Day 2 was indeed very difficult. I got on the trail at 5:15 and hobbled in to Hemlock Hollow at about 7. Day 3 was a great day of hiking -- difficult but not like day 2. Bald Mountain is a Mini-Roan Highlands. I got up there at about 9 am (left at 6) and got blown off by a gale. Saw two bears on this hike. One just before the last shelter south of Allen Gap (whatever it's called) and one on the way up Round Top.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++