WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Pillow

Default Sleeping Pillow

What inflatable pillow do you like? You don't need to respond to say you don't need a pillow or use a stuff sack, etc.

Thanks

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow:
    It's inflated (light weight) and covered in a comfortable cloth material.
    I find the "regular" size to be just fine as a side sleeper, and is small enough to go in the hood of my sleeping bag which helps keep it in place.

I used to use the Exped UL (extreme light weight).
    Initially I had the regular size, but it didn't feel thick enough as a side sleeper, and I didn't like the feel of the material (and would stain).
    I tried the larger (thicker) Exped UL, but the larger size didn't fit inside the hood of my sleeping bag.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 05-29-2019 at 15:05.

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    What inflatable pillow do you like? You don't need to respond to say you don't need a pillow or use a stuff sack, etc.

Thanks
    Ive used a few. TBH the smaller inflatables just arent that comfortable. They are too small. So i would suck up the extra .4 ounces for the "fuller sized" inflatables. This is more specific to the sea to summits.

I currently have a klymit that im starting to use. Its still small but imho better shape than the s2s.

I would like to try a fleece lined pillow stuff sack. I feel like that would be a winner for me.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I know you said inflatable, but I use the SD DriDown and love it.

I don't use the insert, and stuff it with spare clothes (usually stuffed with my down puffy jacket, unless it's really cold, and I'm wearing that to sleep.) It's kind of like a glorified oven mitt, with fluffy down. I can also use it as a sleep mitten and sleep with my hand under my head. 2.7 oz. without insert.

297778_12903_L2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    You don't need to respond to say you don't need a pillow or use a stuff sack, etc.
    Can we still say "Consider a hammock"?

I have liked those "disposable" blow-up-with-a-straw pillows, used them for many years. The smaller ones are still around widely but the large size are harder to find these days except in unreasonably high quantity. Occasionally hiking suppliers try to sell them in single quantity at 10X or more the price from health care suppliers. The smaller ones work well too, used in pairs, but it's a pain to have to inflate/deflate twice.

Assuming you can find them, they're cheap, as close as you can get to weightless. You do have to carry two as eventually you'll get a leak and need a backup. I've had them last many dozens of nights over 2-3 year's and I've had one go after a few nights; hard to predict. I put the pillow, 3/4 inflated for "give", in a Thermarest pillowcase and do stuff in the few bits of extra clothing I typically carry.

^^^Antigravitygear has those for $4.49/3 for $11.25.
    I tried one, and it was a love/hate thing. Light, comfortable and packs tiny, but you need the straw to inflate and deflate, plus it's noisy and a bit of a pain to get *all* the air out of if you happen to be anal about that part(which it turned out I was).
    I went back to using the unmentionable stuff sack, but that's a cheap way for someone to give an inflatable a shot to see how it appeals to them. I liked it ok, but it really made no difference to me one way or the other, so it wasn't worth the hassle or carrying another item.

The ones agg carries are this big:
    received_361267467804251.jpeg

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    ... usually stuffed with my down puffy jacket, unless it's really cold, and I'm wearing that to sleep...
    Doesn't "wearing" your puffy jacket cause it to be not so puffy and therefore loose it's warmth?
    I've found that on a cold evening I can lay my puffy jacket over the sleeping bag like an extra blanket and get significant extra warmth.

Images

I've used an Exped air pillow for quite a few years now - works good for me (side sleeper).

I had used an inflatable U shaped pillow, from Walmart, that had a removable fleece outside. I could wrap it around my neck and it wouldn’t move around, like other inflatables I had used. Stuffing a stuff sack worked will it remained consolidated, but in the night it would flatten, and then I’d have to fuss with it. I finally bought the bullet and got a Sea to Summit pillow, and immediately regretted that I hadn’t gotten one years earlier. I’m a side sleeper.

Sea to Summit Aeros pillow, any one of them. I like the bigger ones for my side sleeping (or the little ones with shoes or something else stuffed underneath) and I probably prefer the not delux one because without the fabric covering, it has a bit more give and/or stretch, which makes it a little softer for me.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Doesn't "wearing" your puffy jacket cause it to be not so puffy and therefore loose it's warmth?
    I've found that on a cold evening I can lay my puffy jacket over the sleeping bag like an extra blanket and get significant extra warmth.
    When I've worn it has been on windy nights with my 40 degree quilt, when I've just woken up cold.

Trekology ALUFT COMFORT... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZPMGQ9...p_mob_ap_share

Weighs 70gms (by my kitchen scales), blows up quickly. Has a fleece type fabric on one side. I sleep much better with it.

My husband uses a Thermarest Compressible pillow, but I don't know why they call it "compressible". It is super comfy, but my pack is a small, so smaller volume and that fluffy pillow takes up to much space. And to be fair, my husband could sleep soundly on a rock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kythruhiker View Post
    I've used an Exped air pillow for quite a few years now - works good for me (side sleeper).
    Ditto. I’m partial to the Exped Air Pillow RED! Medium. Not the UL Yellow Air Pillow.
    Wayne

I've tried the air pillows and I just can't get past the head on "pool raft" feel. I have found a solution that is very versatile that I really like. Works well for tent camping and for hammock camping. I bought a down pillow from Goose Feet Gear. I then insert either: extra clothes, a Cub pillow for Arrowhead equipment, or another small synthetic pillow from Wilderness Logics. I choose the insert based on the "want to save weight mode" (extra clothes), the down pillow during Winter, and the synthetic during Summer.

I also use the Trekology pillow, and really like it. My head gets kinda greasy after a few days, and I noticed it was getting dirty. The fleece covering helps hold the dirt. I found that sliding my Buff over it keeps it cleaner, AND makes it more comfortable somehow. Mine folds up tiny and fits in the same bag as my mattress.

I bought one of those Klymit pillows during one of the "giveaway" offers where they just charge shipping (only $11 to ship a one oz pillow, such a deal), and the Trekology is way more comfortable.

Journal Entries

Put shoes under head of inflatable sleep pad to incline head. Spread slightly so they cradle head. Thats the best inflatable pillow youll get. Now add a little cushion of some kind with fabric thats face-friendly.

Separate inflatable pillows are annoying. They dont stay put, and it's like sleeping with your head on a balloon .

I made a really nice one one time. But it weighed about 4 oz. So I never brung it. Using a fleece pillow stuff sack , spare clothing for padding, and part of the inflatable kids floaties. The two-chambered floaties sections cradles your head.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    ^^^Antigravitygear has those for $4.49/3 for $11.25...I liked it ok, but it really made no difference to me one way or the other, so it wasn't worth the hassle or carrying another item.
    After deciding to try another pillow with dimensions based on actual measurements that worked best for me, I chose(well, the measurements chose) the Exped Air Pillow UL M.
    Worked out pretty well for back sleeping, but about perfect for side sleeping. I'm trying to recover from an SI joint injury, and it, along with some other back/pelvis issues, have forced me to go back to side sleeping if I want to be able to walk when I get up. I have never slept so comfortably, whether on an air mattress, bed, or in the floor. I'm even using this thing at home, and considering another, since having something between my knees also helps alleviate the stiffness and muscle spasms.

Along with it, I also got a REI Flexlite Air chair that's just under a pound, and takes all the pressure off my lower back. Never thought I'd be adding 17.5oz of "luxury items" to my load, but at the moment they kind of fall under necessities. Given the huge increase in comfort, and my ridiculously low pack weight to begin with, these are likely to be permanent additions, though. Wish I'd bought them both a long time ago.

I use a blue sky blow up pillow. I blow it up enough to fill my clothing stuff sack depending on how much is in it.

I have the Exped size Medium and love it. Mine is the red one. I think I might buy the UL yellow one if buying one now.

BTW, I always thought the valve system was pretty gross overkill. Not just one over engineered valve, but two. Seems crazy for something that takes two breaths to inflate. One (which is what the UL one has) is plenty. Heck a beach ball valve would be okay if the pillow was cheaper. It is stupidly over engineered, but is comfy enough that I won't knock it too much. It is still my favorite and the nicest pillow I have tried (and I have tried quite a few).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++