WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Inserts/Orthotics I've Ever Owned (A MUST TRY)

I've been reading posts on this site for a dacade and never became a member until recently. So, finally glad to be here.

I wanted to share a recent investment I made into my feet: Good Feet Store (GET) Gait Enhancement Technology custom orthotics (they're black in color). I've tried most inserts/orthotics over the years and have also made my own. Yoga mat does a great job if you're on a budget. Anyway, I recently tried these GET inserts and wow. Just wow. They're literally springs under my feet.

I don't have any affiliation with The Good Feet Store. But I'm completely sold. I hike almost every day, around 7-8 miles. I was also dealing with metatarsalgia and it's 95% gone now (with an agressive stretching routine). I can hike, and hike and hike...and with a pack. I pair mine with Hokas and their optional full-length insert. They're worth every single penny, and more.

I love getting "into the zone" while hiking and forgetting that the rest of this crazy world exists, and these orthotics do just that.

Marathon runners use them, so I was told. And I have no doubt that this is correct. They...are...amazing.

I know exactly what many will say in the comments though: "But they're too expensive!" But you know what, pay to play people. Pay to play.

I can't even begin to imagine the benefits these orthotics will have inside more supportive footware like backpacking boots. I'm now re-considering boots like Altra, Hoka, Lowa and possibly a Limmer...I'm so excited. For me, high miles + backpack = boots. But to each their own.

And if anyone owns non-custom Limmer boots, please comment (especially if used for high-milage). I've mostly tried Zamebrlan, Danner and Asolo, but not the great Limmer. I'm actually disappointed in myself for not knowing about Limmer until now. Are they worth the hype for serious hikers?
    -- Probably written after hiking 8 miles and drinking a beer or two.

Have you tried Sole or Form inserts? Just wondering how they compare to these.

I just threw a pair of nearly unused Limmer midweights in the local donation box. If you are doing professional trailwork or just want the artificial "cred" of wearing well worn Limmer's do not waste your money. If you have weird feet the customs have their uses but the premium and weight time is steep. Limmer now will accept inserts but where they got their reputation is no insert, when you got the boot it had thick flat leather pad as the bottom of the boot. In theory the pressure points on your foot would slowly (very slowly as in months) would form depressions in the leather until eventually you had a permanent "insert" confirming to your foot that was "forever" That may be fine for many but if there are fundamental issues with the foot that need correction, this does not solve the issue. Long ago I waited the two years to get my custom Limmers and lived through the breakin, and got a couple of high mileage summers out of them for day hikes to the point that I wore out the soles. I returned them to get them resoled and after that it was downhill all the way as when they do a resole, the shoes get narrower. It was not a major issue on dayhikes but on two week long AT section hikes I got severe blisters to the point where halfway through a hike I had the choice to abandon the hike or switch to Tevas. After a painful day in Limmer, I did 21 miles through the PA rocks the next day and another 10 the next day to get back to the car. After that, and seeing that most thruhikers had switched to trail runners I did the same and have hiked in my backyard, the whites for 20 plus years. I did another 1000 miles on the AT with trail runners and did not look back.

Contrary to popular belief boots really do not "give" ankle support, what they do is immobilize the ankle so that the natural support structure of the ankle does not develop. I on occasion roll my ankle even with Limmers on and the mechanics of it meant that it would take a week to recover. Once I switched to trail runners, I still might roll my ankle but it was mostly an annoyance and after few minutes I would be back up to speed. I do use the Columbia heat moldable inserts with partial solid arch support that seem to last for years and just swap them to my new pair of trail runners when the shoes wear out.

BTW Limmers are heavy and that really adds up over the course of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Have you tried Sole or Form inserts? Just wondering how they compare to these.
    I havent tried Sole, but I used my doctor-recommended PowerSteps until I found the GET. The difference is that the metatarsal region in the GET is like a spring. As great as the PowerSteps are, the GET is way better than the PowerSteps. There's no comparison. My feet feel 1/4 as tired with big miles, and it's mostly just my ankles that are fatigued. And replacements/adjustments are cheap after the initial investment. I've read a plethora of complaints about The Good Feet Store, and changed my inserts a few times, but the GET are perfect for hiking. Superfeet are literally 20% as effective.

I wasn't initially told about the GET when I first bought my "arch building" inserts, which was a bummer. You have to ask about them. But I'm sure you can get something similar (custom) if you have decent insurance.

Hey peakbagger -- First of all, mad respect for your contributions on this site. It's an honor to get a response from you. When you had your limmer's resoled, didn't they use the existing holes in the welt? What happened? I actually just emailed Limmer for clarification. Boy, a more narrow boot after a resole would be a total disappointment.

And yeah, +1 on the trail runners. I personally love my Hokas and have been wanting to try their hiking "boots". What's your base weight with the trail runners and did it take time for you to build up to that base weight? Do you use any additional mechanical assists like wraps, tape or the Hanson Brother's foil (a Slap Shot reference)?

Can you elaborate on "GET" insoles by providing full name or link? I tried a google search and can't seem to find them. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter2 View Post
    Can you elaborate on "GET" insoles by providing full name or link? I tried a google search and can't seem to find them. Thanks!
    They're through The Good Feet Store and called Gait Enhancement Technology orthotics (they're the black ones). These ones are specifically maintainers and used by athletes. You need to be custom fitted for them.

https://www.goodfeet.com/

Just a heads up however, some salespeople there are more knowledgable than others. You'd think that everyone has the same level of experience selling these orthotics, but that's unfortunately not the case. I think that's where the complaints online originate from. An educated salesperson will observe gait changes, changes in balance and the sound your feet make as you walk. If you have even the slightest hesitation with a particular fitting, then have them start over (or ask for someone to help consult).

If we're strictly talking about hiking and high-milage, then you wouldn't want their strengtheners anyway because they start to get a little uncomfortable after 5-6 miles. It also helps to bring your hiking shoes/boots and the socks you're going to use while hiking. If everything else is already dialed in, then these orthotics will probably just make you smile every time you put on your footware. I've been going back once a year for replacements and adjustments, which is a nominal fee (and make sure you get this in writing so the price doesn't change).

I've been getting around 1000 miles out of them before a replacement is needed. They're plastic and eventually wear out, which is expected. But think about it. Superfeet are around 60 bucks and last about 500 miles with hard use (the Superfeet warranty is actually 12 months or 500 miles). They push these inserts at REI like crack. But the foam on the Superfeet is also "super" flimsy.

These are $500, but I pay 20 bucks for a replacement (the price for replacements may have gone up slightly) and I have yet to change the full-length insert (which is optional but helps...but you can also use thin yoga mat if you're on a budget). So, I'll save 80 bucks every 1000 miles (until I need a new insert). If you're not planning on cashing in your life insurance policy anytime soon, then these could be a great long-term investment.

What works for one person however may not work for another. Everyone has different needs. I unfortunately now have hundreds of dollars of insoles in my closet that I'll never use again because my feet are spoiled.

This was a much longer answer to your question than I expected to write, but I've tried almost everything including Z-Coils (which are mostly a gimmick unless you have serious issues).

Thanks and I appreciate all the details as Good Feet reviews alone didn't sound promising.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I just threw a pair of nearly unused Limmer midweights in the local donation box. If you are doing professional trailwork or just want the artificial "cred" of wearing well worn Limmer's do not waste your money. If you have weird feet the customs have their uses but the premium and weight time is steep. Limmer now will accept inserts but where they got their reputation is no insert, when you got the boot it had thick flat leather pad as the bottom of the boot. In theory the pressure points on your foot would slowly (very slowly as in months) would form depressions in the leather until eventually you had a permanent "insert" confirming to your foot that was "forever" That may be fine for many but if there are fundamental issues with the foot that need correction, this does not solve the issue. Long ago I waited the two years to get my custom Limmers and lived through the breakin, and got a couple of high mileage summers out of them for day hikes to the point that I wore out the soles. I returned them to get them resoled and after that it was downhill all the way as when they do a resole, the shoes get narrower. It was not a major issue on dayhikes but on two week long AT section hikes I got severe blisters to the point where halfway through a hike I had the choice to abandon the hike or switch to Tevas. After a painful day in Limmer, I did 21 miles through the PA rocks the next day and another 10 the next day to get back to the car. After that, and seeing that most thruhikers had switched to trail runners I did the same and have hiked in my backyard, the whites for 20 plus years. I did another 1000 miles on the AT with trail runners and did not look back.

Contrary to popular belief boots really do not "give" ankle support, what they do is immobilize the ankle so that the natural support structure of the ankle does not develop. I on occasion roll my ankle even with Limmers on and the mechanics of it meant that it would take a week to recover. Once I switched to trail runners, I still might roll my ankle but it was mostly an annoyance and after few minutes I would be back up to speed. I do use the Columbia heat moldable inserts with partial solid arch support that seem to last for years and just swap them to my new pair of trail runners when the shoes wear out.

BTW Limmers are heavy and that really adds up over the course of the day.
    I received an email response from Limmer today regarding narrowing after a resole. They said that they resole hundreds of pairs per year and narrowing after a resole is less than 1%. They also said that they can't remember anytime in the past two years where a customer needed the leather stretched after a resole.

So, Peakbagger, what happened to your boots?

I am not the only one over the years I have encountered with the same issue. There is a new owner of the business who probably was not involved when I had my issue. BTW the new pair of stock midweights were sold to me by the former owner at the store and his claim them was they would stretch out. They even tried to stretch them for me and they still didnt fit right. I have very wide feet and when my customs were made, the owner claimed they were the widest pair he had made that year. I wear size 13 EEEE and have an odd foot shape. Yes, it was quite a disappointment and nearly ruined two AT section hikes over subsequent years. I had been diligent to break them in for a few weeks prior to the trips and in the 20 plus years since then I have never had the issues I had with those boots and would not wish it on anyone. Then again it put me onto trailrunners with custom heat moldable inserts so maybe it was delayed blessing.

Since they are made locally, I have seen numerous lightly used Limmers at tag sales over the years. More than a few folks buy them thinking that they are magic and fairly quickly abandon them as break in is or was a months long project. At one point the owner was in financial straits and he sold the stock boots distribution to some other firm. I do not know if they ever got that business back.

I think you asked for experience. I gave you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I am not the only one over the years I have encountered with the same issue. There is a new owner of the business who probably was not involved when I had my issue. BTW the new pair of stock midweights were sold to me by the former owner at the store and his claim them was they would stretch out. They even tried to stretch them for me and they still didnt fit right. I have very wide feet and when my customs were made, the owner claimed they were the widest pair he had made that year. I wear size 13 EEEE and have an odd foot shape. Yes, it was quite a disappointment and nearly ruined two AT section hikes over subsequent years. I had been diligent to break them in for a few weeks prior to the trips and in the 20 plus years since then I have never had the issues I had with those boots and would not wish it on anyone. Then again it put me onto trailrunners with custom heat moldable inserts so maybe it was delayed blessing.

Since they are made locally, I have seen numerous lightly used Limmers at tag sales over the years. More than a few folks buy them thinking that they are magic and fairly quickly abandon them as break in is or was a months long project. At one point the owner was in financial straits and he sold the stock boots distribution to some other firm. I do not know if they ever got that business back.

I think you asked for experience. I gave you mine.

I appreciate the information peakbagger. Data on thru-hikes indicates that approximately 50% of hikers expereince increased foot size while hiking (link below). I'm now a wide as well. It would seem equally unfortuante to expereince a narrowing of your favorite boots after a resole. Sorry that happened to you.

https://www.halfwayanywhere.com/

The problem with insole-inserts is this---You find a backpacking boot like Zamberlan that works for you. The boot is manufactured with a built-in and removable insole which is designed with that particular boot and boot size in mind. Okay, so you buy a non Zamberlan insole and remove the Zam insole and voila---your properly sized boot with its regular sized insole now won't fit properly cuz the custom insole is too big or bulky---meaning to use it you need to get a larger size boot just to conform to the new custom insole. This is a hassle---which means that for whatever insole you decide to use you need to first get away from your regular "size 10 boot" and buy bigger just to fit in a different insole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The problem with insole-inserts is this---You find a backpacking boot like Zamberlan that works for you. The boot is manufactured with a built-in and removable insole which is designed with that particular boot and boot size in mind. Okay, so you buy a non Zamberlan insole and remove the Zam insole and voila---your properly sized boot with its regular sized insole now won't fit properly cuz the custom insole is too big or bulky---meaning to use it you need to get a larger size boot just to conform to the new custom insole. This is a hassle---which means that for whatever insole you decide to use you need to first get away from your regular "size 10 boot" and buy bigger just to fit in a different insole.
    I agree with you Tipi. Sometimes it's better to keep it simple and not go down the rabbit hole. I experienced the same hassle until I found the right inserts for the right shoes. I tried my orthotics with Lowa Renegades and it wasn't a good match, but they worked well with Hokas. I guess we're always making compromises in order to walk upright and carry weight on our backs, which seems to go against our genetic nature to be more quadripedal than bipedal. I read somewhere that people with back issues have spines that are simialr to some primates. It may explain why I like bananas.

This thread has been an interesting read. If I didn't know anything about Limmer boots I'd think they would be impossible to hike in. Having hiked thousands of miles in them I'm now left wondering how that was possible. The only thing I can think of is that different things work for different folks.

I own one pair of Standards and two pairs of Lightweights. All have been resoled multiple times and never come back smaller. In fact one pair seemed to come back a little wider if anything. I have had no problem using them without inserts as the leather footpad does indeed form to your feet over time, especially in the Standards. I also have used OTC inserts and custom orthotics in the LWs without issue.

Yes, my ankles are held on by duct tape now because boots make you weak and I can only hike 20 miles a day because my legs get tired, but dangit I guess I just dig that artificial "cred"
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I always, without exception, use my insoles[I have them on anyway] inserted in a prospective boot/shoe when first trying them on to make sure they will work with that size or find a size[or style] that works better. Not a problem for me. However, If one were to order a boot online, it could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I always, without exception, use my insoles[I have them on anyway] inserted in a prospective boot/shoe when first trying them on to make sure they will work with that size or find a size[or style] that works better. Not a problem for me. However, If one were to order a boot online, it could be a problem.
    Same, and been doing that for some 30 years of wearing custom orthotics. I sit at the shoe store (and REI) and strip out all the stuffing and the insole, insert mine and fit accordingly. I've not used a "Factory" insole in those 30 years. And every experienced shoe sales person just sits as they have seen it, many times, before as they watch.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by High-Milage Hiker View Post
    They're through The Good Feet Store and called Gait Enhancement Technology orthotics (they're the black ones). These ones are specifically maintainers and used by athletes. You need to be custom fitted for them.

https://www.goodfeet.com/

Just a heads up however, some salespeople there are more knowledgable than others. You'd think that everyone has the same level of experience selling these orthotics, but that's unfortunately not the case. I think that's where the complaints online originate from. An educated salesperson will observe gait changes, changes in balance and the sound your feet make as you walk. If you have even the slightest hesitation with a particular fitting, then have them start over (or ask for someone to help consult).

If we're strictly talking about hiking and high-milage, then you wouldn't want their strengtheners anyway because they start to get a little uncomfortable after 5-6 miles. It also helps to bring your hiking shoes/boots and the socks you're going to use while hiking. If everything else is already dialed in, then these orthotics will probably just make you smile every time you put on your footware. I've been going back once a year for replacements and adjustments, which is a nominal fee (and make sure you get this in writing so the price doesn't change).

I've been getting around 1000 miles out of them before a replacement is needed. They're plastic and eventually wear out, which is expected. But think about it. Superfeet are around 60 bucks and last about 500 miles with hard use (the Superfeet warranty is actually 12 months or 500 miles). They push these inserts at REI like crack. But the foam on the Superfeet is also "super" flimsy.

These are $500, but I pay 20 bucks for a replacement (the price for replacements may have gone up slightly) and I have yet to change the full-length insert (which is optional but helps...but you can also use thin yoga mat if you're on a budget). So, I'll save 80 bucks every 1000 miles (until I need a new insert). If you're not planning on cashing in your life insurance policy anytime soon, then these could be a great long-term investment.

What works for one person however may not work for another. Everyone has different needs. I unfortunately now have hundreds of dollars of insoles in my closet that I'll never use again because my feet are spoiled.

This was a much longer answer to your question than I expected to write, but I've tried almost everything including Z-Coils (which are mostly a gimmick unless you have serious issues).
    Would you recommend going to more than one Good Feet store (if you have more than one in your town) and seeing if their suggestions align?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    Would you recommend going to more than one Good Feet store (if you have more than one in your town) and seeing if their suggestions align?
    Boy, that's a great question Ohiohiker. As an afterthought, and if the stores were close to each other, I probably would just to make sure. Or, at least have the store manager confirm what you need.

I noticed that different salespeople had different methods of taking prints of my feet, which can result in different measurements. The "correct" method is apparently to step straight down on one plate at a time, then flex both knees...but only at a 45 degree angle or less (or something like that). I think this movement supposed to simulate walking with a normal heel strike and bend in the leg. But I'm no expert. You can always ask them to do it multiple times just to make sure they do it right. But the Gait Enhancement Technology orthotics are different than the ones that help build the arch. Bring your favorite footwear and get ready to smile after a long hike.

I hiked 10 miles yesterday (not including my regular workout) and my feet still felt amazing. I have to remember to stretch every few miles though or suffer the consequences. I currently wear mine with Bondi 7 Hokas.

They're by far the best foot investment I've ever made in my life besides going to my doctor and asking him to order some PT so I can learn how to properly stretch my body so I can work on weaknesses and get stronger.

My newest pairing is the GET Good Feet Store orthotics (with insert) over a thin yoga mat insert using Altra Paradigm 6. Wow.

The Good Feet Store orthotics were great with the Hokas no doubt, but I especially like the lower stack height of the Altras paired with orthotics and yoga mat cushion. My doctor agreed that a lower stack height is less likely to result in injuries (i.e., more stability), especially overpronation.

On another note, I've noticed that this site is slowly dying. Has anyone thought about a makeover for this website? This site seems extremely outdated and bland. As much as I enjoy sharing, I'm not sure if I feel motivated to continue writing. Who's currently running the site and what century were they born in?

Mass produced inserts can work for some issues like cushioning and walking comfort however, as I discovered many years ago one should be careful changing the foundation of the feet being tasked with hard use. A lot of damage can be done to ankles, knees, and hips if the user guesses wrong over time. Much as Rhjanes, I too use prescribed orthotics and recommend seeing a podiatrist who can diagnose ones feet and get them into an orthotic that will work in most any footwear you want. It's more expensive initially but they outlast most all off-the-shelf insert and can help reduce future problems with diagnosing the problem early.

As to your aside-note, if you need to be motivated to contribute by moving images around a screen, screen crawls, and other meaningless gewgaws, sprinkled with internet trolls there are plenty of other sites you may find more to your liking. Or, you can stay and contribute to the body of knowledge with membership having hundreds of years of collective experience one can draw from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++