WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Spring 2019 Snow Conditions on Long Trail

Still plenty of snow in the Greens this year: https://www.greenmountainclub.org/20...n-is-here-but/

Cosmo

I'm planning a weeklong hike on the northern section of the trail the first week of July. Is this a significant snow year? I've hiked the trail many times in August and September so July will be the earliest I've done it. Just curious if I'll end up with even more mud to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    I'm planning a weeklong hike on the northern section of the trail the first week of July. Is this a significant snow year? I've hiked the trail many times in August and September so July will be the earliest I've done it. Just curious if I'll end up with even more mud to contend with.
    Nope, just a cold, late Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    Some of the worst mud I've experienced on the LT was on the last 30 miles to Canada in July. It had rained a lot the previous 2 weeks, which it could do again this year. It shows no sign of stopping any time soon.

The steep sections were a relief as they were mud free. The bogs between peaks were knee deep in places. HINT: poke ahead in the mud to find safe places to step and hope you don't slip off. Walking around some of these mud holes is not an option.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Ah. Well I've hiked in 2015 and 2017 and the trail wasn't terribly muddy. Worst was the area just south of Camel's Hump. Hopefully I get a week or two of dry stuff right before I hike.

++ New Posts ++