WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default "When You Find My Body"-- Gerry "Inchworm" Largay Book

Hi All,

Here is a recent radio show discussing the new book about Gerry Largay's ordeal, and the lesson's within.

http://www.downtownwithrichkimball.c...hinee-5-23-19/

Peace,
    Dee

I recently read this newspaper article as well: https://bangordailynews.com/2019/05/...aldine-largay/

It's releasing on June 1, right?

The book was released today. It gives a straightforward account of the whole tragedy without being sensational.

If you want to get it, here's the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/When-You-Find...s%2C143&sr=1-1

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ElephantEater View Post
    The book was released today. It gives a straightforward account of the whole tragedy without being sensational.

If you want to get it, here's the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/When-You-Find...s%2C143&sr=1-1
    What did the book have to say about WhiteBlaze?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    You're gonna hafta pay $17 to find out.

Images

Ordered it.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I finished the book 2 days after receiving it and found I was frustrated many times. I mean no disrespect to ANYONE and certainly I support anyone who wants to hike the AT whichever they plan it for their own personal fulfillment but can't help but feel Inchworm was psychologically ready for this hike and its challenges but not in the survival skills area. I won't say anymore but I'm glad for the book and thank her family for allowing us to know more about this beautiful woman who I wish I could have met. Her positive spirit, how she was loved and impressed by everyone she came in contact with, is truly inspirational.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    It is mentioned a few times as "on-line hikers forum", otherwise not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    I finished the book 2 days after receiving it and found I was frustrated many times. I mean no disrespect to ANYONE and certainly I support anyone who wants to hike the AT whichever they plan it for their own personal fulfillment but can't help but feel Inchworm was psychologically ready for this hike and its challenges but not in the survival skills area. I won't say anymore but I'm glad for the book and thank her family for allowing us to know more about this beautiful woman who I wish I could have met. Her positive spirit, how she was loved and impressed by everyone she came in contact with, is truly inspirational.
    I share your frustration. It is mind-boggling how is it possible in 2013 that a person steps off the trail for such a routine chore as to relieve themselves and not to be found for the next two years. Especially when you learn that she was all this time less than a mile from the trail and that some of the Search and Rescue teams, including a k-9 team, were a few hundred yards from her location. No, she was not, as you say, ready in the survival skills area, but how many of us are?

Images

I finished "When You Find my Body" a couple of days ago. I give it 5 stars or 10 rotten tomatoes or whatever the measuring rod is.

It is very well researched. It is very well analyzed. It is very well written. It has grace. It is an elucidating view of the circumstances and characters neither unduly critical nor all "rose-colored glasses." Congrats to D. Dauphinee.

The suggestion/discussion near the end in favor of "self-rescue training" gave me something to reflect on.

Good job Mr. Dauphinee!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I finished "When You Find my Body" a couple of days ago. I give it 5 stars or 10 rotten tomatoes or whatever the measuring rod is.

It is very well researched. It is very well analyzed. It is very well written. It has grace. It is an elucidating view of the circumstances and characters neither unduly critical nor all "rose-colored glasses." Congrats to D. Dauphinee.

The suggestion/discussion near the end in favor of "self-rescue training" gave me something to reflect on.

Good job Mr. Dauphinee!
    Two thumbs up. I just finished the book, and I couldn't say it better. It is in the tradition of other great non-fiction novels as Capote's 'In Cold Blood'. A very well written, well researched book. And he's treating its subject with great respect.

AT 2012

ok, so the positive "WB" reviews got me to buy it as well! thanks, crack review team.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ok, so the positive "WB" reviews got me to buy it as well! thanks, crack review team.
    Ditto...just ordered my copy, and hope more reviews are coming

Journal Entries

Thank you, brother. (You look like and write like my older brother Raymond-- who we called "Rain Man!")
    --Dee

++ New Posts ++