WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dream Hike?

Images

I always dreamed of a thru hike with my partner/spouse. We love spending time together and we both love hiking and backpacking. The Long Trail e2e we did a few years ago confirmed all of that for us.

But I think now we're planning to do the AT in big sections, five or six weeks at a time. There are so many things we like to do here at home, so many people with whom we want to spend time before they are gone. We host a weekly Old Time jam, and go to festivals, and have a little band that mostly plays on the porch. I'd miss too much if I were gone for 7 months or more. (We're not fast hikers....)

So we'll do the AT over a three or four year period after my partner retires, when I can partially retire and get summers off (I hope.) Then we want to do a Camino pilgrimage, and hike some of the trails in Ireland and England. Maybe bring a fiddle and a banjo with us I still want to hike out West, though my partner isn't as excited about that (grizzly bears! mountain lions!), and I want to do some month-long driving trips in our camper. Up to Cape Breton, back to Glacier and the PNW, back to Utah and the Southwest. A month of kayaking and camping along the Southeastern coast. So much to do!

So I guess my real dream is to stay healthy enough to do some of this stuff.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I always dreamed of a thru hike with my partner/spouse. We love spending time together and we both love hiking and backpacking. The Long Trail e2e we did a few years ago confirmed all of that for us.
    My wife likes to hike, but she's not into backpacking. Sometimes I get weepy, not because I miss her, but because I wish she was sharing the experiences on a trail with me.

So I edit my previous post. My dream hike is any long distance hike that she will do with me. One day
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I have a new one every year, because I do my dream hikes most years.
    This year, it's the Kungsleden trail in Lapland Sweden and then a few hikes in the Republic of Georgia and the beautiful Caucasus mountains there. (I leave in 3 weeks)
    Next year, I'm looking at either the Alta Via 1 or 2 in the Dolomites OR possibly Kazahkstan. (did anyone see the movie "the rise of Gengis Khan? That movie was filmed in Kazahkstan, I fell in love with the scenery) (the girl is pretty hot too LOL)
    We gotta do some hikes. You invited me on one but I just couldn't get away at that time. Kungsleden, Alta Via, and the Caucasus are high on my list.

Say what we want but here's where the buck stops: "I have a new one every year, because I do my dream hikes most years."

Default Dream Hike?

I did Kungsleden with my wife in the winter ... loved it. One day I want to return and do the southern portion. Word of advice: prevailing winds south to north...

Here is a trip report...we were just starting with instagram : https://www.instagram.com/p/BS01nmVl...=152zfjx6j9x8w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by T.S.Kobzol; 05-24-2019 at 23:15.
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I did Kungsleden with my wife in the winter ... loved it. One day I want to return and do the southern portion. Word of advice: prevailing winds south to north...

Here is a trip report...we were just starting with instagram : https://www.instagram.com/p/BS01nmVl...=152zfjx6j9x8w

Thanks for that info. I just decided last week to do the trail NOBO. (was going to start at Abisko, but now will finish there)
    2 reasons, both sun related.
    I don't want to have the sun in my eyes all the time and dont like to wear sunglasses and it's the way most people hike that trail and I'd rather it be less crowded.
    I think also, most only do the top half, so, the beginning will be the best.
    I believe the weather will be fairly good.
    I live in Thailand now and doubt I'd enjoy a winter hike although I did the AT once through the winter (when I was much younger of course)

Dogwood: I don't know how flexible you are, but you're welcome to join us for any of these hikes. Starting Kungsldedn June 23rd.
    Meeting up with friends in Tbilisi for the Caucasus around July 25th.

Next year. Haven't decided yet, but feeling strongly about the Dolomites and will probably start with the more easy Alta Via 1 hike.
    But also, on my mind is the E1 trail and it's northern end in Norway. (pics look spectacular)
    Plans for next year can change of course.
    There are so many good hikes and I fell in love with eastern Europe 2 years ago when we did the Via Dinarica.
    I don't like to leave my son for more than 2 months at a time though. That's why these are shorter than my old US long distance hiking days
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

..It is a dream of creating a new long distance hiking trail in central Europe that I have been pondering for a long time...
    If it happens that you'll pass by here in the vicinity, feel welcome to plan a stop at my place. Yes, we have some beer.

Default Dream Hike?

Send me a pm with location. One never knows. We are starting a bike touring trip from Barcelona in July.

Last edited by T.S.Kobzol; 05-25-2019 at 08:03.
    Let me go

But I think now we're planning to do the AT in big sections, five or six weeks at a time. There are so many things we like to do here at home, so many people with whom we want to spend time before they are gone. We host a weekly Old Time jam, and go to festivals, and have a little band that mostly plays on the porch. I'd miss too much if I were gone for 7 months or more. (We're not fast hikers....)

So we'll do the AT over a three or four year period after my partner retires, when I can partially retire and get summers off (I hope.) Then we want to do a Camino pilgrimage, and hike some of the trails in Ireland and England. Maybe bring a fiddle and a banjo with us I still want to hike out West, though my partner isn't as excited about that (grizzly bears! mountain lions!), and I want to do some month-long driving trips in our camper. Up to Cape Breton, back to Glacier and the PNW, back to Utah and the Southwest. A month of kayaking and camping along the Southeastern coast. So much to do!

AWWWW! That is so sweet! Section hiking the AT is awesome! Happy trails!

I don’t really understand the concept of a “dream hike” . Many people who know me personally or who somehow end up sharing inspirations with me on social media seem to be amazed how much I can squeeze out of every day, week or month or life as we know it. Yet I have not stopped working full time .

One of my dreams that will come is to stop working full time or retire entirely. When it happens it will be only a matter of months before I will do my first of the big 3. But my list is far bigger than my time on this earth.

There is one dream I do not think I will fully realize. It is a dream of creating a new long distance hiking trail in central Europe that I have been pondering for a long time. I will probably realize hiking the route but I probably won’t realize promoting it as an official route with all the “condiments” it deserves.

Its cool you mentioned a creating a long distance trail thru Europe. When we went to do one of the Camino's last year we stopped off in Hamburg to visit family and there is a place we went nearby to hike and there were Camino signs there. Well upon further investigation, there are many Camino routes through Europe. They seem to be loosely tied together in some places, but it seems like the framework would be there to link one major route to carry you all over Europe. BTW we would up not doing the Camino and went to Saxon/Switzerland NP and hiked into the Czech Republic. Guess what? Saw little yellow shells there too.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

What sections of Czech Republic did you hike?

Let me go

......... and I want to do some month-long driving trips in our camper. Up to Cape Breton, back to Glacier and the PNW, back to Utah and the Southwest.........
    Not a hike but something I have been dreaming about for years. In July I will drive from Houston to Canada and up the Dempster Highway above the Arctic Circle then over to Alaska where my wife will join me for a week (she doesn't camp) then come back down British Columbia to the Pacific Northwest and back home. I have fixed up my minivan so I can sleep it in and will car camp except for the big cities.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Sounds great! Wishing you many miles together.

Virginia Is Flatter, But It's Not Flat

What sections of Czech Republic did you hike?

We went to Saxon Switzerland NP near the border of Germany and Czech and hiked the sandstone mountains and wandered over in to the Czech Republic from there. Very nice area. There is a gorge that you can take a little boat down, get out and hike, then boat some more. Really cool. That was on the Czech size near Hrensko. The German side is beautiful as well.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

I'm currently making one up around New England using many different trails and including all six states. It involves some stretches of road walking but keeping it off roads as much as possible, and making them as scenic and non busy as possible when I could, using dirt roads and small sections of trails that connect streets, small rail trail sections, ect. It pretty much involves some of every long distance hiking trail in New England, including the complete North-South, Monadnock-Sunapee, Cohos, Long Trail... a good portion of the NET, Midstate... lots of CT blue trails and a lot of the AT, mixing up the AT throughout the Whites and with other trails throughout the way. It also involves leaving my house on foot, doing this big awkward loop that crosses itself in the Whites, and returning back home on foot from a different direction. Lots of planning still but it's looking good... if I run into long stretches where theres not much for hiking trails or rail trails I'm going to look into using waterways or even a bicycle route to be able to do this under my own human power, with no use of anything motorized along the way... no idea of the mileage yet but I'm hoping I can stretch it to a early spring-late fall thru hike.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Too many to list, but the top 5 are PCT, CDT, Te Araroa, Kungsledden and the Pyrenees

K2 base camp trek.

I want to see that mountain in person.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelK7 View Post
    K2 base camp trek.

I want to see that mountain in person.
    I like that dream. I felt that way about the Matterhorn but that dream has been fulfilled...

Let me go

My dream hike is that first step away from a car with the pack full of enough crap to get me through 3 weeks of backpacking. Pisgah NF, Cherokee NF, Nantahala NF, Chattahoochee NF, Jefferson NF---don't matter. The dream is that I'm able to do it one more time.

Every trip is a dream trip.

Images

Arctic NWR in Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina.

Start at Yosemite Valley, South on the JMT to Whitney, back down to the PCT, Nobo PCT to Canadian Border, teleport to Northern Terminus of CDT SOBO CDT to NM (teleport), then AZT (teleport), then NOBO PCT back to Yosemite.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++