WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Creative ideas for park sticker/patch collection?

I've started collecting a sticker and/or patch for parks that I've visited, but I'm struggling for a good idea of how to display them. I don't want to stick them all over my car. The idea of framing the patches is okay...I dunno. Has anybody come up with a cool/fun way to show off all the national & state parks you've visited? I thought about buying a map and sticking them on it, but once I start going cross-country that'll be space-prohibitive.

Journal Entries
    Images

I recall having a fun conversation with a hiker because she had patches from all around the world sewn on her backpack.

They would have looked equally great on a day pack — but all of them probably would not have fit.

I have a 4' x 7' US map including AK and HI I place various colored flag push pins of the 49 of the 60 NP's, NOT historical sites, battlefields, National Monuments, etc I've visited. The Nat Monuments are a different colored flag push pin. Nat. Seashores are a different color. etc, etc, etc

Images

We've started sewing patches on an inexpensive plain fleece throw. We don't have a lot yet, but it doesn't take much to make it interesting.

Google Velcro patch panel.... It's easy to sew Velcro hook to the back of your patches. A small panel of loop sewn to your pack lets you swap out patches any time you choose to, and large ones are available to hang on your wall land display your patches.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Also what are alternative ways to affix a patch besides hand sewing it on ( like I do)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Also what are alternative ways to affix a patch besides hand sewing it on ( like I do)?
    I don’t remember what it’s called, but there’s some stuff that scouts use to attach patches. I asked at Hobby Lobby, a nice lady ushered me to the fabric area, and handed me a packet about 6 inches by 6 inches. Inside are some sticky tape sheets you can cut to the size of the item you want to attach. I think it was about five or six dollars for 5 of the stickers. The packaging says they should go through the wash. I haven’t tried it yet, but after I looked it up on Amazon, the reviews were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    I don’t remember what it’s called, but there’s some stuff that scouts use to attach patches. I asked at Hobby Lobby, a nice lady ushered me to the fabric area, and handed me a packet about 6 inches by 6 inches. Inside are some sticky tape sheets you can cut to the size of the item you want to attach. I think it was about five or six dollars for 5 of the stickers. The packaging says they should go through the wash. I haven’t tried it yet, but after I looked it up on Amazon, the reviews were good.
    I believe the official name is Badge Magic, but there may be other brands now as well. One thing that I've seen is that it tends to leave a mark on the underlying item should you ever want to remove a patch without putting another over it.

Thanks for the tip. I bought Badge Magic and will give it a try. :-)
    Let me go

Is it raining yet?
    Images

You can purchase velcro by the roll @ Walmart. Sticky on one side and hook-and-loop on the other. It then attaches to fabric, like a cubicle wall. Framing is very expensive, but I did that for my best patches and it looks very good. The Boy Scouts also sell a patch display book with plastic page inserts. I imagine hobby stores do as well.

As for decals, they go on my equipment boxes.
    Be Prepared

Fabric adhesive might be another option. https://www.amazon.com/Beacon-Fabri-...41R7PPTK7TF9MS
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I'm a long time Boy Scout leader who has way too many patches. There have been many great suggestions on this post. Here's a few I have seen through the years.

Badge Magic - Works ok but will eventually come off in the wash. It will leave a stain on the material. Also, the patches will fall off if the item is drycleaned.

Patch blankets are an easy and fun way to display.

Patches can easily be sewn onto fleece jackets and vests.

Patches can be sewn onto day packs and back packs. However, they will get dirty and hold moisture.

Patches can be displayed in picture frames with felt backing cut to fit inside the frame (I think black felt looks the best). Two sided tape or velcro, with the patches pressed up against the glass, will hold them in place.

If you are collecting patches but do not want to display them, then I recommend a three-ring binder. Use clear sheets, a heavy stock piece of paper, and tape the patches to the paper. Or you can buy collector sheets at your local Boy Scout Service Center or craft store.

Many scouts keep their patches in a plastic container with locking lid, or a large ziploc bag.

Regarding stickers, most of them go on water bottles, coolers, and metal drink holders, wine glasses, and highball glasses. Putting them on my water bottle has two benefits. First it makes it easy to identify when I'm with a group. Second, it is a great conversation starter when people recognize a place or activity.

If you use a three ring binder for your patches, you can use stickers on the spine or the front to identify the contents of the binder.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tklp View Post
    Has anybody come up with a cool/fun way to show off all the national & state parks you've visited?
    Clearly you need a travel trailer. The rear end is the perfect canvas for your stickers. If your inclined towards the UL lifestyle, get a Scamp!

Scamp.jpg
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

++ New Posts ++