WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Love and Hate of White Blaze

I am a self proclaimed professional thru-lurker. I started following this site years ago around the time Inchworm went missing and I followed the thread daily. I never had anything useful to say so I didn't. What I did take away from it all is that there seems to be some really good people on this site. The sincerity I felt in reading some of the comments was humbling. Even with all of that I never made a comment. I joined the site in 2015 and would look at it from time to time. So a few months ago I started coming here again and its nice to see familiar "faces". But what really got me motivated to speak was a horrible series of comments about the Second Chance guy. Wow, I really hate to see that level of hate here. On one hand everyone pulls together about Inchworm and now Ronald and then to have some one get really hateful of Cory is not what its about. This is the one place I can come to get away from the problems of the world and listen to good advice and read good conversations about backpacking and everything that goes with it. We are all here because of a love of backpacking, making our packs lighter, spending more money on gear and arguing about what is the lightest shoe laces I can get. Love to most everyone here. If you are ever in Florida look me up. Winter is never coming here.

Images

SlowDive, there are bad eggs everywhere. Fortunately, there are plenty of good eggs on Whiteblaze to make up for it. I don't know what made the poster you referred to such a miserable person, but let's hope they get the help they need. Till then, I find the best thing to do with trolls is ignore them.

Happy trails to you.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
    I am a self proclaimed professional thru-lurker. I started following this site years ago around the time Inchworm went missing and I followed the thread daily. I never had anything useful to say so I didn't. What I did take away from it all is that there seems to be some really good people on this site. The sincerity I felt in reading some of the comments was humbling. Even with all of that I never made a comment. I joined the site in 2015 and would look at it from time to time. So a few months ago I started coming here again and its nice to see familiar "faces". But what really got me motivated to speak was a horrible series of comments about the Second Chance guy. Wow, I really hate to see that level of hate here. On one hand everyone pulls together about Inchworm and now Ronald and then to have some one get really hateful of Cory is not what its about. This is the one place I can come to get away from the problems of the world and listen to good advice and read good conversations about backpacking and everything that goes with it. We are all here because of a love of backpacking, making our packs lighter, spending more money on gear and arguing about what is the lightest shoe laces I can get. Love to most everyone here. If you are ever in Florida look me up. Winter is never coming here.
    Well said....
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Well said indeed, this is the only "social media "I'm involved in for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
    BRAVO SlowDive! Besides my Youtube channel I started the end of January, this is the only other forum I am involved in. I started an IG account since it was the "thing to do" and I am planning to post my FIRST picture today at around 12 noon for "Stronghold," but as ChrisGoesOutdoors said, "Social media is overrated." Even on Youtube I don't understand why anyone would give a thumbs down on someone's "personal" thru-hiking journey. If you don't like it, just move on and find something else. There are plenty of other videos for all types of interests. As my grandmum said, "If you can't say something nice about someone...don't say anything." Besides, you get more with sugar than vinegar and smiling uses less facial muscles (less wrinkles too) than a frown.

I agree completely with you guys...it's frustrating to see people be so negative. But, I gotta say, smiling isn't all fun and games...I swear I'm developing a lot of "laugh line" wrinkles

I like the title “Thru Lurker.” Can I be one of those, too?

Pringles

Good stuff!! Worth noting that thru hikers also have a love/hate thing goin on with white blazes. just saying....

I've never understood why we can't "just get along", and I've felt bad having to warn people I've recommended to WB to ignore the negativity that always seems to erupt. I can attest to the fact that there are some wonderful folks here who are willing to extend amazing levels of friendship and helpfulness. It has always made the bad stuff tolerable.

So put on your rose-colored glasses or snark-blinders (I lend you some) and enjoy WB. Illegitemus non carborundum.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Well said. I have always been known as someone that is blunt and straight forward with my answers or opinions. Sometimes going too far but I would hope that "negative to the point of terminating ones soul", like the poster being referred to in my thread about second chance, is not the way I am perceived. I am becoming nicer the older I am
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I think Newt's post ruffled a lot of feathers. I think Newt was trolling though.
    It is what it is.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Part of living with social media is realizing that anonymity loosens filters, and it's easy to misread the intent behind many posts. There's a fine line between sarcasm, criticism, and vitriol, and nuances of facial expression are lost on the keyboard. I'm willing to bet that a lot of WBers that seem like buttheads in print are nice people in person. I believe that's the case for me, anyhow! Long winded way of agreeing with Illegitemus non carborundum.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Part of living with social media is realizing that anonymity loosens filters, and it's easy to misread the intent behind many posts. There's a fine line between sarcasm, criticism, and vitriol, and nuances of facial expression are lost on the keyboard. I'm willing to bet that a lot of WBers that seem like buttheads in print are nice people in person. I believe that's the case for me, anyhow! Long winded way of agreeing with Illegitemus non carborundum.
    To add, it seems everyone wants their feelings or emotions validated or offense is taken. Increasingly, people expect they have the right to never ever be offended, to never be "triggered." Humanity is still shuffling along on their untied shoe laces learning to communicate non face to face on line. It makes for an overemotional temperamental arena of tribalism and identity politics(this is not a political statement).

Journal Entries

Yin and Yang

Too bad some dont understand the big picture

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    To add, it seems everyone wants their feelings or emotions validated or offense is taken. Increasingly, people expect they have the right to never ever be offended, to never be "triggered." Humanity is still shuffling along on their untied shoe laces learning to communicate non face to face on line. It makes for an overemotional temperamental arena of tribalism and identity politics(this is not a political statement).
    We think alike on this.

I think confirmation bias comes into play too. Not to mention that sometimes our perceptions are not nearly as accurate as we think.

Remember this old test? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

If you think this is fun, try reddit ultralight for a while.

A wise person says, “It’s just the internet”. And it is. It doesn’t matter. What matters is sitting outside sipping coffee, listening to song birds, watching the squirrels, and thinking about the fulfilling things I‘ll do with my time today. See y’all later!

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I participate in other forums, and one in particular (a sporting related forum) takes things many levels beyond this one with the types of comments and things of that nature. From that forum I have noticed that there are people who go on forums just stir things up for entertainment. So I don't take anything personal, and usually ignore those posters.

Until recently that wasn't something I saw a lot of on here and I always thought that was awesome. Most folks on here seem to like hiking, and want to chat about it and help others out. So my advice is enjoy the good posts and ignore the chaff.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    A wise person says, “It’s just the internet”. And it is. It doesn’t matter. What matters is sitting outside sipping coffee, listening to song birds, watching the squirrels, and thinking about the fulfilling things I‘ll do with my time today. See y’all later!
    We used to discuss things like coffee, and bird songs and all manner of critters on WB far more than we do now.

My perception anyway.

While there is still a mix, seems like there is less and less discussion of the trail’s history and natural history — and all that can encompass, every year. As important as the hiking content is, I think the site is just a tiny bit poorer for not having more of that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++