WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default MA. Section hike/trail run - Parking & Shuttling Logistics

Hey All,

Doesn't post often but do enjoy reading the forums. Anyway, I am continuing my section hike of the AT this summer with 6 days on the trail planned (4 in June, 1 in July & 1 in August). My style is to do my sections as a Trail run and I generally tackle about 20 mile sections in a day.

However, I do only head out for the day and return home at night (live in CT). This summer I will looking to tackle all of Massachusetts (Northbound) and a couple Vermont sections (Mad Tom Notch to ST/LT junction). That said, I am finding the logistics of parking/shuttling a car the most difficult part of planning.

The idea is, I drive to my end point, park my car and then somehow get to that day's starting point. Asking friends/family to do this short shuttling of myself from end to start seems like a lot of driving for them. I was thinking of actually using Uber but not sure if they available in that area (or that early in the AM - around 7 AM). And I am not sure there are AT Shuttle services for MA.

So, was curious what others solutions are to doing hikes like this?

Quote Originally Posted by enduranceron View Post
    Hey All,

Doesn't post often but do enjoy reading the forums. Anyway, I am continuing my section hike of the AT this summer with 6 days on the trail planned (4 in June, 1 in July & 1 in August). My style is to do my sections as a Trail run and I generally tackle about 20 mile sections in a day.

However, I do only head out for the day and return home at night (live in CT). This summer I will looking to tackle all of Massachusetts (Northbound) and a couple Vermont sections (Mad Tom Notch to ST/LT junction). That said, I am finding the logistics of parking/shuttling a car the most difficult part of planning.

The idea is, I drive to my end point, park my car and then somehow get to that day's starting point. Asking friends/family to do this short shuttling of myself from end to start seems like a lot of driving for them. I was thinking of actually using Uber but not sure if they available in that area (or that early in the AM - around 7 AM). And I am not sure there are AT Shuttle services for MA.

There definitely is shuttle service for at least the bottom third of MA. I got picked up on West Branch Road in MA at mile marker 1557.6 and our shuttle driver took me back to Undermountain Road in Salisbury CT which is a couple miles south of the MA border.

Images

once upon a time i put much energy into trying to solve puzzles like this so as to hike the trail without actually backpacking.

then i just tried backpacking a section. its really much easier and cheaper than what you're trying to do.

the biggest issue ends up being there arent shuttlers right at every stopping point. so if you have a shuttler that lives in northern MA for instance, but you need a ride in central MA, you're going to have to pay them for twice as much as the section youre actually being shuttled.

when you get into trying to do this in , VT, ME, NH youre going to find yourself spending a handsome sum on all of these shuttles. a place in ME slackpacks people from grafton notch to rangeley. for kicks i asked how much it would cost. it was something close to $500. to hike 50 miles or so.

greetings from a section runner who lives near trail in MA.

my solution for chipping away at NJ/NY/CT/MA has largely just been to do everything as out and backs, looping back on different trails or roads for a change of scenery or to save time/energy. it is longer and occasionally annoying but it has also helped me learn the trail fast.

i don't have experience with uber/lyft or shuttles but i would imagine they would be tricky at that time. if you do try this, i would emphasize trying to end at/near the major road crossings. some of the road crossings (west branch rd, mentioned above) are imo a bit of a pain to get to and could add a lot of time and cost. another suggestion would be to try to do it solo with a bike drop. even doing that once or twice would save a bit of $$.

Images

Half of Massachusetts I have done by leaving a bicycle at one end and walking to it and then riding back to my car. There is a Rail Trail from Adams to Dalton, and lots of roads parallel the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by enduranceron View Post
    Hey All,

I would seriously consider checking AllTrails to see if there is a loop you can do. I always found the best resources on Youtube. I am planning a Presidential Traverse and had the same issue of where to leave my car and where to pick it back up. I was researching on Youtube and found runners who worked out the logistics for me! Voila! I then mapped the course for myself. Now, I am just waiting for the deep thaw! Good luck with your running adventure! ATStrong.

Through MA I called either Hummy, Migrating Bird, Marion Wiley, or Lu at Bearded Woods. I also bike/car self-shuttled some. Yes, it cost me some $, but I don't regret a penny as I made some wonderful trail friends through the repeat shuttles. For these folks providing for hikers is a way of life and a joy, and I wouldn't have missed getting to know them for anything.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

++ New Posts ++