WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Images

not that it really makes any difference at this point but one would like to expect news reports to be more accurate.

keep in mind----news agencies (such as the one i work for)-----can only go on what we are told....

and police agencies are notorious for not giving out all the correct information.......

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong(and I am sure someone will since this is WB) but I distinctly remember reading on line news reports after the very first incidents that it was a guitar he was carrying and not a machete.As it turns out,some are still referring to his big Crocodile Dundee size knife as a machete,not that it really makes any difference at this point but one would like to expect news reports to be more accurate.
    The police department that initially picked him up did confiscate a large knife that was variously referred to as a machete. Apparently there was at some point a guitar as well that caused conflicting reports, but he did have a knife initially and was able to replace it with another one after it was confiscated.

Some of really old kids remember QuikDraw McGraw and El Kabong.Apparently a guitar is quite an effective weapon and it also counts as duel use!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010aaw1Ajo0

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You might benefit from reviewing this:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...vividness.html
    "It should be kept in mind that taking into account the possibility of something dramatic or vivid occuring is not always fallacious. For example, a person might decide to never go sky diving because the effects of an accident can be very, very dramatic. If he knows that, statistically, the chances of the accident are happening are very low but he considers even a small risk to be unnaceptable, then he would not be making an error in reasoning."

Good point.

This is sometimes said as “it’s not the odds, it’s the stakes”

Is it raining yet?
    Images

My recollection from reading the charging document is that the defendant first threatened to burn victims #1 and #2 and Hikers #1 and #2 alive in their tents. The 4 then decided to pack up and leave. It was during their packing that the defendant returned and launched his fatal attack.

Such would not be a situation where an armed individual would not have time to arm him/herself and be on heightened guard. Merely threatening to burn me alive will get you pepper sprayed. Advancing upon me with a knife or any size after having threatened to burn me alive will get you shot. But that's me.

If one does choose to carry a weapon, whatever it may be, one must be prepared to use it. That includes a discussion now, before the heated moment, of what you are prepared to do.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    How would hikers rate mace or pepper spray as a self-defense option? Bears? Dangerous people? Few people are trained in the martial arts or self-defense. What other options would you recommend? https://youtu.be/yhJvKdk4lts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sme9HSirf4
    Stay at home, otherwise just play the odds and you'll be fine. You're more at risk driving to work.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Watson View Post
    Stay at home, otherwise just play the odds and you'll be fine. You're more at risk driving to work.
    If seven thru hikers were killed by bears on the AT* I would still recommend that people enjoy their hikes without undue fear.

i fully expect that you would too.

But had that been the case, would you look to dismiss all discussion of the risk of bears and how to deal with it because driving to work is more dangerous?

* Seven thru hikers have been murdered by people as the well into their 2000 mile AT journey. Zero thrus hikers have been killed or seriously injured by bears.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    If seven thru hikers were killed by bears on the AT* I would still recommend that people enjoy their hikes without undue fear.

i fully expect that you would too.

But had that been the case, would you look to dismiss all discussion of the risk of bears and how to deal with it because driving to work is more dangerous?

* Seven thru hikers have been murdered by people as the well into their 2000 mile AT journey. Zero thrus hikers have been killed or seriously injured by bears.
    Who said I was dismissing all discussion of anything? I just don't see the point in polarizing something that is statistically extremely unlikely. There are always going to be exceptions and tragedy, however that doesn't mean letting it get into your head and living in fear.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++