well yes. I agree with all of this. No one is disputing the usefulness of the huts but you're missing one point and that is the fact that the price to stay at the huts is too high.

If AMC cut the price by half they would still be making a good profit. The 'unfortunate' fact that the huts are in such close proximity to Boston encourages AMC to set the price to match the income power of Boston clientèle. And they still sell out! However, for the other mortals, the blue collar workers or the people who have normal jobs in Maine or New Hampshire the price for a family of 4 (mom,pop, 2 kids) to do a hut to hut Presi Traverse (3 nights) is cost prohibitive. Around $1500 if You are an AMC Member and more if You are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
For thru hikers the huts offer a place to refill water, get a hot drink, have a snack, use a toilet and to get out of the rain or sun - all for free (or maybe a couple of bucks for a cup of tea or a cookie). A few thrus pay to stay overnight, and others do WFS.

The hut croos play a valuable role for all who hike in the whites by maintaining the composting toilets and by participating in search and rescue for lost and injured hikers.

I think Peakbagger accurately describes the hut experience and I agree that folks who were expecting the Mt. Washington hotel will have a disappointing experience. Likewise, those who are used to staying in tents and shelters my well find the hut experience not worth the money.

There are, however, groups for whom the huts are valued. The idea of staying overnight in the wilderness is intimidating to many people. The ability to have a safe, dry, and somewhat warm place to sleep at night allows them to venture beyond day hikes and experience the mountain in a different way. Likewise, parents wanting to take their children on a hiking adventure and introduce them to the outdoors appreciate the "comforts" of the huts. There are also people with physical limitation who are able to experience multi-day hikes because they don't have to carry a shelter and a much supplies. Many of these categories of hikers will go on to less expensive and more adventuresome forms of hiking. For others, the occasional splurge on a hut stay will be the pinnacle of their wilderness experience. From their stays in the huts almost all of these people will have their appreciation for the outdoors grow, will likely become better stewards of nature, and some will become strong advocates for preservation -- even if they never spend a night in a tent or shelter.

If you don't like the hut experience, or feel it is too expensive, that is certainly understandable, but please know that there are many people who do appreciate it and for whom the huts have played a significant role in encouraging and helping them become more confident spending time in the outdoors. So we enjoy the croos silly skits, relish the communal meals, have fun climbing into our bunk beds, and enjoy moaning about all the snoring that took place during the night while we drink our coffee and eat our breakfast in the morning.

Happy hiking.