WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Of course, everybody is different. My lunch consist of energy/granola bars, dry fruits (dates, raisins), peanuts (as in gorp). If i'm not in a rash, I will boil water for a cup of coffee/tea. The reality is, I skip lunch most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Hard cheese added to any of to above on days 1-4
    I recently discovered a product called Moon Cheese for those latter days -- basically straight dehydrated cheese (tastes sort of like a baked cheeto). All different kinds.

Tortilla shell & peanut butter and jelly. I pocket the P & J packs at breakfast whenever I stay in a hotel. Also carry a lot of Costco's trail mix.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Tortilla shell & peanut butter and jelly. I pocket the P & J packs at breakfast whenever I stay in a hotel. Also carry a lot of Costco's trail mix.
    Mcdonald has squeeze packets of jelly for breakfast biscuits. I get couple biscuits, handful of jellies. Chick fil A might have some too if i remember. Racetrac gas stations may too. Used to get tray of homemade biscuits (24) from place near work to take in for my operators in morning sometimes. They would throw in at least 50 jelly packets, vast majority would be leftover. All for $15

Holiday inn express has peanut butter, honey, jelly , cream cheese , and butter i think ( I stayed around 165 nights in holiday inns last yr, more than 130 each yr for last 5 yrs) ive a stash of nestle quick and instant coffee packs also from overseas hotels.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-09-2019 at 22:23.

Journal Entries
    Images

Like everybody else, tortilla plus pb, pepperoni, Spam, tuna, cheese, anything.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Of course, everybody is different. My lunch consist of energy/granola bars, dry fruits (dates, raisins), peanuts (as in gorp). If i'm not in a rash, I will boil water for a cup of coffee/tea. The reality is, I skip lunch most of the time.
    if you’re in a rash, Body Glide and Gold Bond powder helps.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Zalman View Post
    I recently discovered a product called Moon Cheese for those latter days -- basically straight dehydrated cheese (tastes sort of like a baked cheeto). All different kinds.
    I tried some of these recently and they're great. Same thing from Trader Joe's called "Oven-Baked Cheese Bites"...

I take a packet of Tuna with a single packet of mayo and sir together with a spork. I either eat it plain or with a bagel or tortilla.

End of May in VA on the AT can be hot midday. I'd suggest not cooking breaking out the stove most days.

What is the section? Are you doing a section anticipating resupply and/or supplementing? How many days is the trip or between resupply? These factors play a role in what one may eat. For example, there are AT VA sections where the ATer walks very close by restaurants. convenience stores with cafes/sandwiches, waysides, etc. For example, some AT shelters like Partnership Shelter in Grayson Highlands pizza and other food can be delivered TO THE SHELTER.

What sounds appealing now, may turn your stomach if hiking in the heat and humidity. It’s a good idea to test some different foods prior to your hike, if you can.

(I usually love nut butters and Nutella on tortilla but can’t tolerate them when it’s hot...it’s very thick and dry. Likewise, salami and pepperoni can be iffy in those conditions.)

Cheese + Triscuits and maybe dried fruit.

Summer sausage and cheddar on a tortilla for me, along with dried fruit and almonds.

Tuna,spam,summer sausage or pepperoni on crackers or tortilla. Jerky. Cliff bar or similar. Trail mix for desert. Whatever you can find ....

Garlic
    Images

When I started backpacking I read somewhere, "Lunch starts sometime after breakfast and ends just before dinner."

Every time I stop for a break I eat something. That's usually about five times a day. What that is depends greatly on weather, how tough the travel is, and what I was able to buy on my last resupply. It's usually a handful of nuts and dried fruit, or a piece of bread and some nut butter.

Lately I've taken that a step farther and gotten rid of the concept of "breakfast" and "dinner" as well. Eating well during breaks means I'm not that hungry when I stop for the night, and I don't need to eat much when I first wake up. That's real convenient in bear country--no serious food odors in the campsite.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    When I started backpacking I read somewhere, "Lunch starts sometime after breakfast and ends just before dinner."

Every time I stop for a break I eat something. That's usually about five times a day. What that is depends greatly on weather, how tough the travel is, and what I was able to buy on my last resupply. It's usually a handful of nuts and dried fruit, or a piece of bread and some nut butter.

Lately I've taken that a step farther and gotten rid of the concept of "breakfast" and "dinner" as well. Eating well during breaks means I'm not that hungry when I stop for the night, and I don't need to eat much when I first wake up. That's real convenient in bear country--no serious food odors in the campsite.
    Mostly refers to time of day i expect.

I call mine:

Early breakfast
    Late breakfast
    Mid morning
    Lunch
    Mid afternoon
    Dinner

They are simply time i eat something significant enough to keep me moving. Small snacks eaten whenever. This is for planning /buying calories and food mostly. On trail anything gets eaten anytime want.

I brought a platic tub of French's fried onions one. They were quite yummy. Since onions are a vegetable, I am calling it a health food. Otherwise it's PB&j on tortilla like everyone else. But I like the tuna wrap idea. May try that next time.

I enjoy a big spinach wrap with PB, mixed nuts and crushed Doritios. So good. A full bag of crushed Doritos is nice because I can add them to anything and instantly make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    crushed Doritios. So good. A full bag of crushed Doritos is nice because I can add them to anything and instantly make it better.
    I feel the same about Fritos! Fritos always taste good, go with everything, and even help with fire starting. A handfull of Fritos on a hot day is perfect. There’s just something about Fritos... I won’t hike without them. They are one degree above dark chocolate on the hierarchy of hiking necessities.

Once I tire of something on a tortilla, this is my absolute favorite lunch: https://outdoorherbivore.com/pacific-crest-vinaigrette/ This one is good too, but I can only eat half a package at once: https://outdoorherbivore.com/waldorf-slaw/ They are pricey but what a morale boost! I usually re-hydrate a bag of freeze dried fruit with a little sugar at lunch for my sweet tooth. I also mix up black bean flakes with freeze dried corn & spices & put that into a tortilla cold with a package of string cheese. Freeze dried (not re-hydrated) corn & peas adds crunch to nut butter on a tortilla.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    lately I learned how to make Onigiri (japanese rice ball sandwiches).

bought a mold/carrying case:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

found a how to video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utkK...mpoyM8sxiRGg9k

Bought a large sack of sushi rice at our local Oriental store

Bought ingredients I wanted in Onigiri i.e. smoked salmon

Bought Nori (seaweed) to wrap the sandwich in so it can be held without making your fingers sticky and also because Nori tastes great and it's good for ya.
    This is a great idea! And one I'd certainly not thought about. We hosted two girls from Japan a few years ago - 4th and 6th graders. They made us Onigiri for dinner one night. Two of my girls (so far) also spent some time in Japan, and the one going with me on the trip loves Nori.

I went stove-free on my last hike which lasted 6 days.

I am boring and typically eat the same thing for lunch - Lance PB crackers dipped in a Jif individual cup of PB. Kar packet of trail mix and a few small candy bars. This is about 800 calories and I really never tired of it. I could also eat while hiking if needed. I also took a Zipp Fizz energy mix in my water for electrolytes and Vitamin B.

I also recently discovered Starkist Chicken packets. The chicken come in flavors such as Buffalo and Lemon pepper which were really good. That on Ritz crackers with Taco Bell hot sauce on top was one of my favorite things to eat on the trail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++