Default Shuttle advice -Single woman looking for a lift

Hi
    I'm driving from Toronto on May 15 to meet a friend in Fort Montgomery, where we will hike together until about Kent CT. I am struggling with what to do with my car. I have never done the AT - so I have no context for parking, distances to/from trail heads, etc. I have posted my specific questions in the "Shuttle" forum (i.e., do I park in Kent and find a shuttle to Bear Mountain - or vice versa). What I'm interested in from my fellow sisters is what (if anything) I should be aware of (as a solo woman) when looking for a shuttle service?

I am a total believer in the great nature of people - and have a sense that the AT Angels & supports are inherently benevolent and cool. But am I dreaming in technicolour?

Any advice and insight would is greatly appreciated (including any leads on female drivers between Bear Mountain & Kent CT).

Thanks everyone!

I would focus on using a shuttler or volunteer who has an established reputation. For many people, it’s their livelihood and they’re not likely to **ck it up. My concern would be accepting help from someone with no established history.

I have paid for shuttles (never had a female shuttler), used volunteers, and hitch-hiked and have never had a problem. AT people are incredibly helpful, giving, and professional but always follow your gut. If it doesn’t feel right, don’t hesitate to bail.

Have a great hike!
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 05-07-2019 at 06:22.

Journal Entries

En-dot, welcome to White Blaze! I'm happy that you've joined us. You'll find most people here very helpful - same as on the trail.

I hike with my husband, so haven't had the solo experience hiking, hitching, or shuttling. Maybe I'd feel different if I went solo. Shuttlers are mostly men, but not entirely. Last shuttler we used was unavailable at the time we needed, so he sent his wife. While she was pleasant, she wasn't a hiker, so she didn't have the trail knowledge he did. In that instance, we had to guess which way to go from our trailhead because she couldn't tell us. I would have preferred the husband.

Below is a link to a list of shuttlers. It's just a list - nobody is guaranteeing that there isn't a creep on the list. Our experience has been good. I just look on the list for someone in the area where I plan to hike, make contact a couple weeks in advance with schedule/place info, and then ask for their price and availability. Have not had a problem with anyone. Confirm plans a day or two ahead of the trip. Be sure you have the information you need about when/where to meet before you get in the area. Many areas of the trail are remote and may not have cell phone service. Enjoy your hike!

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php

No problem....call Lu (female) at Bearded Woods for shuttles in that area. Technically you'll text her husband for the shuttle at 860-480-2966, but Lu will be the shuttler. Any and all questions you have about this area can be answered by this couple, and the hostel is the best!

If for some reason Lu is unavailable, PM me. There are no longer many shuttlers in the area, but there are strings that can be pulled and magic that can be made

...and welcome to White Blaze!

Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 05-08-2019 at 23:10.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Thank you so much for this! I had a feeling that there was magic to be found in White Blaze somewhere :-)

++ New Posts ++