Default Thru hike starting feb 2020

Hi I'm Tessa! I'm 18 and am graduating high school this June. I was accepted to UMass Amherst, but would like to take a gap year and hike the AT. I would need to start mid-february so I would be done it time to go back to school. Is anyone thinking about starting a nobo thru-hike around that time? If not, maybe we could meet up at various points along the way.

there will be plenty of people starting then
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Hello Tessa, congratulations on being accepted to UMass Amherst. There will be NOBO thru-hikers starting in February, but most start in March and April due to the weather. You may experience below freezing temps on the trail around the time you wish to go...however, it is doable. I have known people to start end of January and February and still complete the course. Your best resource is the ATC. You can also connect with Ramdino roaming the trail on Facebook, which is the best way to get a hold of him. He does all the hiker updates on Youtube, but also a great resource. In addition, I would recommend joining the AT 2020 Facebook group. It is a closed group, but you can also do an ask if anyone else will be hiking the time period you wish to hike. You will naturally fall into what is called a "tramily" which is your trail family you will meet along the way. Some have finished the course together. If you have any other questions or concerns, just ask away. Happy trails! ��

Hi I'm Kirstin. I am also 18 and was planning to do a thru hike next year before I go to university and was looking for someone to hike with.

A hiker named Hudson started early February when I was on trail in 2014. He was documenting his hike on Trailjournals.com back then may be worth reading.

Definitely research the conditions so you know what to prepare for. I'm considering an early Feb start myself and have been soaking up all the experiences I can from this and previous years. Trail Journals, Youtube, etc. You can learn a lot from what drove others off trail and how those who succeeded dealt with those same issues. Good luck on your adventure!
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Instead of going NoBo and worrying about finishing before school starts in 2020 in August, you might want to consider going SoBo and starting this July (or late June).
    Also if going SoBo, if anything goes wrong, you still have Spring and Early Summer of 2020 to pick any miles you might have missed.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I'll be starting mid-February! I'm a slooow hiker tho

++ New Posts ++