Default Max Patch to Hot Springs: Campsite suggestions for a two-night backpack

A friend and I are planning a leisurely walk from Max Patch parking lot north to Hot Springs - taking 2 nights, 3 days to cover the 20.5 miles.

I figure we can camp near Walnut Mountain Shelter the first night.

What about the second night? Deer Park Mtn Shelter is a full 10 miles from there, more than we'd like to do in one day.

Maybe there's a good spot before we reach Garenflo Gap?

I'm a hanger; my friend a ground-dweller.

Between Guthook and AWOL, it looks like there might be spots around mm 267, with water nearby.

I'd appreciate any ideas from those who've hiked this route already.

Thank you.

Images

Just north of Max Patch is one of the best sites ive seen. Makes for a max patch sunset and sunrise

double post.....sorry
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

There is a good camp site which is marked mi 265.7 on GutHook then the one that you referenced. I don't think there are any other tent sites between there and Dear Park shelter. The hike from mi 267 in to HP is down hill and the trail was in VG condition last fall.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

I know it's been a couple of weeks since you posted, but I just finished this same hike. Great looking campsite, in the pines, at the base of Walnut Mountain, after the shelter. I camped at Catpen Gap my first night...enjoyed it....water source down the path in the meadow. Second night was going to be at Deer Park Shelter, but I kept going to Hot Springs, due to weather. There is a good campsite at Garenflo Gap as well, but right on the road. Multiple campsites all along that section. There was one at the very top of Bluff Mountain, on a little side trail, that looked really nice.

Thanks for the updated info!

++ New Posts ++