WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Max Patch to Hot Springs: Campsite suggestions for a two-night backpack

A friend and I are planning a leisurely walk from Max Patch parking lot north to Hot Springs - taking 2 nights, 3 days to cover the 20.5 miles.

I figure we can camp near Walnut Mountain Shelter the first night.

What about the second night? Deer Park Mtn Shelter is a full 10 miles from there, more than we'd like to do in one day.

Maybe there's a good spot before we reach Garenflo Gap?

I'm a hanger; my friend a ground-dweller.

Between Guthook and AWOL, it looks like there might be spots around mm 267, with water nearby.

I'd appreciate any ideas from those who've hiked this route already.

Thank you.

Just north of Max Patch is one of the best sites ive seen. Makes for a max patch sunset and sunrise
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

double post.....sorry
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

There is a good camp site which is marked mi 265.7 on GutHook then the one that you referenced. I don't think there are any other tent sites between there and Dear Park shelter. The hike from mi 267 in to HP is down hill and the trail was in VG condition last fall.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

I know it's been a couple of weeks since you posted, but I just finished this same hike. Great looking campsite, in the pines, at the base of Walnut Mountain, after the shelter. I camped at Catpen Gap my first night...enjoyed it....water source down the path in the meadow. Second night was going to be at Deer Park Shelter, but I kept going to Hot Springs, due to weather. There is a good campsite at Garenflo Gap as well, but right on the road. Multiple campsites all along that section. There was one at the very top of Bluff Mountain, on a little side trail, that looked really nice.

Thanks for the updated info!

I camped in the field below Walnut Mountain Shelter last week on Tuesday night before the force of storm Zeta came a calling the next morning. There are some nice looking campsites up on the northern hilltop from the shelter, but the winds were beginning to pick up as the sun set and the Moon ascended in the early cloudy night casting an eerily glow.

With the rain forecasted to arrive around midnight (which it didn't arrive until around 7:30 am local time in the morning), I had been given a heads up by a SOBO named Mayo the night before that the Walnut Shelter roof leaks when it rains, I think he got his info on Guthooks. The wind picked up mightily during the night and I was thankful to be in the field below as I got a wind break due to being off the ridge of Walnut Shelter. Len was the the only soul brave enough to test the integrity of the shelter for holding off the predicted midnight rain.

Hiked in a steady off and on downpour with windy conditions all the next day. It tested my mental resolve as two nature breaks called on upon me, but I still enjoyed the hike through the sloppy soup, passing Sticky Bottle and No-Name (two SOBO section hikers) through out the day twice.

Made Deer Park Shelter in the waning light of the day between showers, made an acquaintance with a SOBO named Casper and picked his brain for gold nuggets and advice about my upcoming SOBO in 2021, boiled water for dinner (an herbed mushroom risotto), and was thankful for a roof over my head that night as Zeta unleashed her remaining energy of wind and sideways sheets of rain.

++ New Posts ++