WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone use the possum down socks?

Curious how warm these are? My feet seem to always be my cold spot...one the fence about spending $70 on down booties or if the $22 possum down socks would suffice....my 20* burrow is lil warmer than my 20* enigma but still get cold feet under about 35* when only wearing my hiking socks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Curious how warm these are? My feet seem to always be my cold spot...one the fence about spending $70 on down booties or if the $22 possum down socks would suffice....my 20* burrow is lil warmer than my 20* enigma but still get cold feet under about 35* when only wearing my hiking socks...

I have both. I prefer the possum down socks over the down booties. Super soft and warm. I wear them all the time at home during NH winters as well.

I like the possum down socks more because they are just that. Real socks. Can wall around in em. Around shelters. Hostels. Etc.

Id say try the possum before the puffy socks. I should probably replace mine. After a few years taking them during cold hiking and lots of use at home during winter. The bottom of the sock has kinda flattened out and lost its loft from walking around the house in them.

No holes or anything though.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I have both. I prefer the possum down socks over the down booties. Super soft and warm. I wear them all the time at home during NH winters as well.

I like the possum down socks more because they are just that. Real socks. Can wall around in em. Around shelters. Hostels. Etc.

Id say try the possum before the puffy socks. I should probably replace mine. After a few years taking them during cold hiking and lots of use at home during winter. The bottom of the sock has kinda flattened out and lost its loft from walking around the house in them.

No holes or anything though.

Perfect! Assume you got from zpacks?

Perfect! Assume you got from zpacks?

Yeah I got mine from Zpacks. They sell a well known quality brand from New Zealand. They are a looser, no constricitive fit which is perfect. They are quality socks.

They are warmth enough that there's no way I could wear them to bed at home with a regular comforter.

Down socks are kinda odd. They lose loft fast because of dirt and oils from nasty hiker feet. You can't just throw them in the laundry whilst backpacking. They shell materials are "delicate" .. 10d for example. Probably get a hole in them if you walked across a shelter floor while wearing em. They look goofy lol. If you have "damp" feet at night from hiking all day in the rain... typical east coast.. then it's really not comfortable putting "soggy" feet into nylon fabric... it's like merino wool vs synthetic in wet climates. The wool is more comfortable against the skin.. same with possum down vs down booties.

I rarely use my down booties now... They are pretty much reserved for really late fall backpacking trips here in the whites. I'll bring the possum down AND down booties as I'm pushing the limits of my 10* quilt. in that case they work great.

For a regular backpacker/hiker... i think the possum down is the way to go. You could also hike in them if needed. They would make much better impromptu mittens if need be.

In conclusion, I felt like they were good for the $20 a spent on em. I don't feel the same about the $60 I spent on down socks.

Winter camping? different story.

Are all these "possum" down products really made from possum? Please say it ain't so!
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Are all these "possum" down products really made from possum? Please say it ain't so!
    easy enough to look at the Zpacks listing to answer you own question, but here it is from Zpacks:

"Made from a combination of New Zealand's brushtail possum fur, and New Zealand Merino lamb's wool."

I have a pair of the gloves and they are great.

Yes.

Incredibly invasive species that has caused massive problems in New Zealand.

All the info is easy to access

Love my possum down socks.They make gloves out of it too.

Journal Entries

Possum

Not opossum

In NZ they are a nasty pest.
    Possum-1-500x500.jpg
    buying NZ possum down products you are doing NZ a favour.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-and-threats/animal-pests/possums/

I have cute ring tail possums running about here at my place in Australia, but those are not the same .

I've owned/ have owned both Goosefeet down socks and ZP's possum down socks. For dedicated sleeping socks, for me, since I've had frost nipped toes and fingers so get cold feet and hands rather easily and it can be difficult to warm the digits back up I prefer the Goosefeet down socks. IMO they down socks are definitely warmer then the possum down socks.

While Fox is right no one wants to or should put dry socks on over wet feet when I do have wet feet before I put the Goosefeet down socks or ZP's possum down socks on I care to my feet for maceration, hot spots, and drying them off first.

There are knock off down socks much less expensive because, for one they use cheaper duck down in their construction rather than the higher grade grey or Hungarian Goode down ZP and others use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...odtag154483-20

Montane also makes their Fireball Footie down booties out of Primaloft Gold Eco clocking in at 3.3 oz, sold at REI(so if you have some REI rebate do re mi?), and CAN be worn around camp based on seeing their sole. $45 I've never owned or demoed the Montanes. Just looked at a pr in REI. https://www.rei.com/product/137915/m...e-camp-booties

I really do love my Goosefeet down booties. I bought them from BEN before starting GF proper when he was selling them on the side through BPL. I've had mine with no holes and no down loss for something like 10 yrs. I dont walk around in them although I have the over booties that allow this they are still unused brand new. If you want them Saltysack say the word. I'd like someone to use them. These are the WP over booties I can send ya. https://goosefeetgear.com/products/w...-over-booties/

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Possum

Not opossum
    That's the distinction I was looking for! The o'possum is one nasty sumgum!
    It is what it is.

I heard of these gloves but not the socks. I'll check it out.

Possums ordered...will give them a go...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I've owned/ have owned both Goosefeet down socks and ZP's possum down socks. For dedicated sleeping socks, for me, since I've had frost nipped toes and fingers so get cold feet and hands rather easily and it can be difficult to warm the digits back up I prefer the Goosefeet down socks. IMO they down socks are definitely warmer then the possum down socks.

While Fox is right no one wants to or should put dry socks on over wet feet when I do have wet feet before I put the Goosefeet down socks or ZP's possum down socks on I care to my feet for maceration, hot spots, and drying them off first.

There are knock off down socks much less expensive because, for one they use cheaper duck down in their construction rather than the higher grade grey or Hungarian Goode down ZP and others use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...odtag154483-20

Montane also makes their Fireball Footie down booties out of Primaloft Gold Eco clocking in at 3.3 oz, sold at REI(so if you have some REI rebate do re mi?), and CAN be worn around camp based on seeing their sole. $45 I've never owned or demoed the Montanes. Just looked at a pr in REI. https://www.rei.com/product/137915/m...e-camp-booties

I really do love my Goosefeet down booties. I bought them from BEN before starting GF proper when he was selling them on the side through BPL. I've had mine with no holes and no down loss for something like 10 yrs. I dont walk around in them although I have the over booties that allow this they are still unused brand new. If you want them Saltysack say the word. I'd like someone to use them. These are the WP over booties I can send ya. https://goosefeetgear.com/products/w...-over-booties/
    I guess I never followed up...thx for the feedback...I couldn’t stomach the cost of the downbooties, I’m sure anything will be an improvement of what I’ve been using...bit the CT sept 10 will give them a go

I guess I never followed up...thx for the feedback...I couldn’t stomach the cost of the downbooties, I’m sure anything will be an improvement of what I’ve been using...bit the CT sept 10 will give them a go

Let us know how you feel about em. I like them. After a thru hike they definitely have the worn sock feel. But still perform very well. I like the down booties. But i dont like just sticking my feet in them raw dog lol. Same thing with the foot box of my quilt. Im just not a fan of nylon or whatever shell material directly on my skin. Im sure they will do you just fine on the Colorado trail.

Ps..what shelter are you taking?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Let us know how you feel about em. I like them. After a thru hike they definitely have the worn sock feel. But still perform very well. I like the down booties. But i dont like just sticking my feet in them raw dog lol. Same thing with the foot box of my quilt. Im just not a fan of nylon or whatever shell material directly on my skin. Im sure they will do you just fine on the Colorado trail.

Ps..what shelter are you taking?

Cuben duomid but plan to cowboy when weather permits

I live in New Zealand and as other have said the Australian Possum is what these socks are made from, however it's usually a low blend and combined with merino and spandex. Possum fur is soft and unique however I've never noticed them being any warmer than a merino sock. Nothing will keep your feet warmer than down socks as far as I'm concerned. There are cheaper options than Goose Feet as well.

++ New Posts ++