WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Still Snowing In NH

Most folks are chomping at the bit to get up in woods in the whites these days. Things are greening up in southern and central NH but the snow is still still holding out in the whites. There was snow on my car the other morning at 1400 feet and snow predicted Tuesday night. If it makes it over into Wednesday morning, its fresh snow in May. With long days the snow melts quickly in the morning down low but definitely this means the snow pack out in the woods is going to take a long time to disappear. If the sun is not out its perfect hypothermia weather on the AT. Freezing nights and rain during the day with temps in the low forties

Definitely a late spring this year not typical of the last decade of winters. Barring a switch to a warm weather pattern, the folks with reservations at BSP are probably starting to look at their plans as I expect the park roads and campgrounds cannot open until the roads melt out and then dry out.

Images

Highs in the 80's/lows in the 60's down here in NC this week - I don't know how y'all deal with winter for that long.
    It's all good in the woods.

When I first moved up to the whites in 1987 it was not unusual to need to carry snowshoes until Memorial day for shaded higher elevation trails Many of us like late winter hiking better than summer, what we don't really like is "mud season" hiking which has been the routine this year. Folks ski Tuckermans Ravine on the side of Mt Washington routinely until June due to a deep snowpack that builds up all winter. Southern and Central NH has had highs in the seventies and I have seen a few highs this spring close to 70 os it can be warm but not reliably.

Here is link to the webcam view that obviously changes. This bowl to the left is Tuckermans, the ravine in the center is Raymond Cataract where a skier died in an avalanche about 2 weeks ago and the Ravine on the right is Huntington's. The summit is in the top center if its not obscured in clouds. https://www.mountwashington.org/prem...s/ravines.aspx. The Webcam is located about 100 feet from the AT on the top of the Wildcat ski area.

The other webcam (which is cloud obscured currently ) is from Bretton Woods on the west side. https://www.mountwashington.org/prem...identials.aspx. The AT runs along the top of the ridge line.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Barring a switch to a warm weather pattern, the folks with reservations at BSP are probably starting to look at their plans as I expect the park roads and campgrounds cannot open until the roads melt out and then dry out.
    I have a reservation at Daicy Pond Campground in Baxter State Park on June 21 and suspect I will be fine. I am becoming resigned to the idea that skeeters and black flies will likely be worse than usual in late June and early July in Maine this year. If they aren't then I'll have a pleasant surprise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed when it comes to fording rivers and streams.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Seems to be more snow in Tucks, right now, than there was a couple weekends ago when we drove by in the rain. Good day for waterfall touring. Somebody skiied into one of the holes that open up at the top and somehow managed to crawl out of another hole downstream. Historically, that's been a recovery in the Summer after the snow has melted out. Lucky fellow.

I'm off the trails in the Upper Valley of NH currently, it's mostly mud, with a bit of ice in the cold hollows. I'm doing road walks until the trails firm up, no need to destroy the trails for my own amusement.

Images

It isn't even May yet, of course it's snowing in northern NH. Heck, I've seen snow on many Memorial day weekends - in the valleys, nevermind the mountains.

Who hikes in mud season?

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

90 tomorrow in Virginia.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

++ New Posts ++