WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Financial institutions still exist that count loose change for no fee. Check out lists on line. As said Coin Star charges no fee when receiving a credit that can be applied in quite a few places. Use your credit there and apply the cash or credit card you would have used towards the hike. I may be incorrect but CS credit could be used at WalMart for resupply or other items.
    Even when banks limit the amt of rolled change just go to different branches or over several days to the same branch to swap out the heavy for the paper presidents.

years ago, one of the girls in our running group was always finding coins along our route. She always stopped to pick up any and all coins she spotted. One day I epoxied a quarter to the asphalt in an intersection where I knew she could not miss it. The next morning she about went crazy trying to get that quarter! Kicking, pulling, prying, would not dislodge it. Of course, we were all doubled over in laughter! The next day it was gone. I think she went home and got a chisel and hammer to get that quarter!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hobby View Post
    years ago, one of the girls in our running group was always finding coins along our route. She always stopped to pick up any and all coins she spotted. One day I epoxied a quarter to the asphalt in an intersection where I knew she could not miss it. The next morning she about went crazy trying to get that quarter! Kicking, pulling, prying, would not dislodge it. Of course, we were all doubled over in laughter! The next day it was gone. I think she went home and got a chisel and hammer to get that quarter!
    Jokester classmate of mine growing up would superglue coins to floor at school to watch kids try to pick up.

He also made fake spilt milk carton with the little milk carton and plaster, fake dog poop, etc. He was a little odd, but was always coming up with weird stuff....long before you could just google it.

He was convinced teacher didnt actually read all reports turned in, so he once buried a line in report asking teacher to call him Englebert Humperdink at roll call monday. When teacher called roll...."Englebert Humperdink"....."you got an F on your report".
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-28-2019 at 22:34.

I use a cashback rewards card for everything, including every bill that will take it. I don't have a car payment right now, so pretty much all expenses except my mortgage.
    I pay it off weekly, have never paid a cent of interest, and transfer the rewards to savings every time they break the $50 minimum. My "real" extra money comes from working overtime and holidays, but my bank typically paying me $250+ per year just to use their credit card is nice, too.

Images

If one has a bunch of coin and shops at a Walmart with self-checkout stations, paying with some of your coin a few dollars at a time is a good way to whittle down change, if your bank won't accept it. Of course it might take a while for hundreds in cents, but it's a fee-free way to cash them in.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Quote Originally Posted by foodbag View Post
    If one has a bunch of coin and shops at a Walmart with self-checkout stations, paying with some of your coin a few dollars at a time is a good way to whittle down change, if your bank won't accept it. Of course it might take a while for hundreds in cents, but it's a fee-free way to cash them in.
    That's my current plan.

Try unloading the rolled quarters at a local laundromat.

When I was delivering the local newspaper, I would take all my collection change to a local mom & pop grocery. They were happy to get it.

Some places have the counting/rolling machines and may be willing to process it for free if they can buy it from you.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I hand roll my nickels, dimes, and quarters. The pennies; I'll gladly give 10% to the machine at the grocery store rather than spend an hour of my time for a few dollars worth of pennies. Time is precious and I have lots of other things I can be doing with it other than spend it rolling pennies.
    My "piggy bank" had about $280 in nickels, dimes, and quarters last time I rolled it (money for a section hike), the pennies are still in a large tumbler waiting for me to remember to take to a coinstar machine.

I also take a portion of each paycheck and put it into a savings account for hiking / gear. It's fun to watch it grow. Recently, that has bought my new ULA Circuit and my 10 degree EE quilt - which has my total pack weight (including 4 days of food and 1 liter of water) down to about 24 lbs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++