Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default How hikers stay safe on the Appalachian Trail - WBIR.com

    How hikers stay safe on the Appalachian Trail  WBIR.com

    A recent assault arrest on the Appalachian Trail prompted a conversation about safety on the hike. Guns are allowed on some portions of the trail, but many ...



    More...

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,586

    Default

    After the clusterf@#k circumstances surrounding the debatable statement "the AT is remote" and mistaking a guitar for a machete FTLOG define "he appeared high?"

    What was the shovel he supposedly threatened people - a cat hole trowel?

    Bustin' out the shakeNbake AT style?

  3. #3
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    Rhome, TX / Monroe, NH
    Age
    62
    Posts
    7,652
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    After the clusterf@#k circumstances surrounding the debatable statement "the AT is remote" and mistaking a guitar for a machete FTLOG define "he appeared high?"

    What was the shovel he supposedly threatened people - a cat hole trowel?

    Bustin' out the shakeNbake AT style?
    I can see where people might mistake his Crocodile Dundee size knife for a machete. Technically an incorrect term, but that's a big knife. And maybe there was a shovel at a composting/moldering privy? Or he has one of those folding shovels - not a leap for someone carrying a knife that size. Hikers that ran across him multiple times said his behavior was worsening. One things for sure - he ruffled the feathers of lots of people on the trail. He caused enough problems that people went out of their way to report him to LE. And they are charging him with aggravated assault (aggravated? maybe swinging the shovel, or because a juvenile was threatened), so there's obviously something there beyond LE just jacking him up for being a stoner hiker. https://www.wjhl.com/local/new-detai...ays/1947581693

    My gut reaction? Another mentally ill person (the dog reportedly had a "service animal" vest) off his meds - and on the AT.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 04-24-2019 at 06:34.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Hikers that ran across him multiple times said his behavior was worsening. One things for sure - he ruffled the feathers of lots of people on the trail. He caused enough problems that people went out of their way to report him to LE. And they are charging him with aggravated assault..
    LOTS of things ruffle the feathers of AT hikers and WB users.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,586

    Default

    Will not engage in trial by media accounts.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2015
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Age
    59
    Posts
    445

    Default

    last week one of the You tubers named Porkchop mentioned a guy came into the shelter with a knife and wanted to start a fight. PorkChop said the police were called. I wonder if these stories are linked.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    last week one of the You tubers named Porkchop mentioned a guy came into the shelter with a knife and wanted to start a fight. PorkChop said the police were called. I wonder if these stories are linked.
    One day he might meet up with ex military and LE willing address those desires.

  8. #8

    Default

    You know what they say, "don't bring a knife to a gunfight".

  9. #9

    Default

    I've met more than one demure small woman who was packin' on the AT... BTW, not just big bustlin ex millitary and LEO's.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2009
    Location
    Spring Lake, MI
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    While I treasure my guns (have been called "Annie Oakley" by some), I will not bring one on the trail. For me, they belong on a range and in a hunt.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •