WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How hikers stay safe on the Appalachian Trail - WBIR.com

How hikers stay safe on the Appalachian Trail  WBIR.com

A recent assault arrest on the Appalachian Trail prompted a conversation about safety on the hike. Guns are allowed on some portions of the trail, but many ...

More...

After the clusterf@#k circumstances surrounding the debatable statement "the AT is remote" and mistaking a guitar for a machete FTLOG define "he appeared high?"

What was the shovel he supposedly threatened people - a cat hole trowel?

Bustin' out the shakeNbake AT style?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    After the clusterf@#k circumstances surrounding the debatable statement "the AT is remote" and mistaking a guitar for a machete FTLOG define "he appeared high?"

What was the shovel he supposedly threatened people - a cat hole trowel?

Bustin' out the shakeNbake AT style?
    I can see where people might mistake his Crocodile Dundee size knife for a machete. Technically an incorrect term, but that's a big knife. And maybe there was a shovel at a composting/moldering privy? Or he has one of those folding shovels - not a leap for someone carrying a knife that size. Hikers that ran across him multiple times said his behavior was worsening. One things for sure - he ruffled the feathers of lots of people on the trail. He caused enough problems that people went out of their way to report him to LE. And they are charging him with aggravated assault (aggravated? maybe swinging the shovel, or because a juvenile was threatened), so there's obviously something there beyond LE just jacking him up for being a stoner hiker. https://www.wjhl.com/local/new-detai...ays/1947581693

My gut reaction? Another mentally ill person (the dog reportedly had a "service animal" vest) off his meds - and on the AT.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 04-24-2019 at 06:34.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Hikers that ran across him multiple times said his behavior was worsening. One things for sure - he ruffled the feathers of lots of people on the trail. He caused enough problems that people went out of their way to report him to LE. And they are charging him with aggravated assault..
    LOTS of things ruffle the feathers of AT hikers and WB users.

Will not engage in trial by media accounts.

last week one of the You tubers named Porkchop mentioned a guy came into the shelter with a knife and wanted to start a fight. PorkChop said the police were called. I wonder if these stories are linked.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    last week one of the You tubers named Porkchop mentioned a guy came into the shelter with a knife and wanted to start a fight. PorkChop said the police were called. I wonder if these stories are linked.
    One day he might meet up with ex military and LE willing address those desires.

You know what they say, "don't bring a knife to a gunfight".

I've met more than one demure small woman who was packin' on the AT... BTW, not just big bustlin ex millitary and LEO's.

While I treasure my guns (have been called "Annie Oakley" by some), I will not bring one on the trail. For me, they belong on a range and in a hunt.

++ New Posts ++