WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Damn, this is terrible to hear.

What a nightmare.

Images

Here is a story with a bit more detail...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/james-...kp81CxMHtkgC1Q

Two interesting statements. he "went after a group of four hikers camped out for the night" makes it sound like they were weekend campers, not thru-hikers. I might be reading to much into that.
    Also, activated an SOS? I take that to mean the hiker had an inreach or similar device? Maybe not a weekender after all?

The girl played dead to survive.
    Last edited by imscotty; 05-12-2019 at 18:56.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Washington Post has a story up, complete with an interview with Odie Norman

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...127_story.html

Is it raining yet?
    Images

The image of the defendant looks like evil itself.
    Be Prepared

Images

So typical. Arrested but let go and kills. Justice system cares little for victims.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Very sad. Feel so much for the victims and their families.

Hiking the AT is statistically very safe, but characters like this guy prey upon the lack of proximity to law enforcement that exists in the backwoods. I don't know the law and don't know the details, but when this cat was released in NC and then was back out there after the Unicoi County officials tried to intervene, I had a bad feeling. People threatening others with machetes do not belong on the trail and officials in towns should understand there is a problem with them.

Reading the articles, Washington Post, The Daily Beast, etc., it is clear this whack job was a daily and nightly menace, not just one nuisance event as it seemed to be earlier in the thread. Hikers have been reported and interdicted by law enforcement for far less. I find it astounding that "sovereign" was able to do as much damage as he was able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    So typical. Arrested but let go and kills. Justice system cares little for victims.
    It could have worked if the victims had wanted to show up to testify. I bet they're not feeling very good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Also, activated an SOS? I take that to mean the hiker had an inreach or similar device? Maybe not a weekender after all?
    One article said he sent the emergency SOS from his phone. I know you can do that with an iPhone, and probably other phones, but it only works if there is cell service.

What is the exact mile number (AWOL or Guthook) where the attack took place? Was it at a shelter? If so, which one?

It's maddening that this guy wasn't held longer in Unicoi. He was clearly a danger to others. Condolences to the family of the lost hiker. I know that poor woman's life will ever be the same, either. It's frustratingly sad.

"Its who we are" just posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZyirf318sM

They were evidently directly involved and escaped the attack.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    Hiking the AT is statistically very safe...
    Seven thru hikers (yes, thru hikers) have been murdered on the AT.

That said, the ATC spokesperson has already put this tragedy in perspective for the public, reminding everyone that the Trail sees 3 million visitors a year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    It's maddening that this guy wasn't held longer in Unicoi. He was clearly a danger to others. Condolences to the family of the lost hiker. I know that poor woman's life will ever be the same, either. It's frustratingly sad.

The authorities could only hold him for so long based on the minor charges that he aquired.....

the more "maddening" part would be that the other alleged victims didn't want to press charges and/or testify against him....

The authorities in Unicoi who declined to hold Sovereign for a mental health evaluation are likely going to face liability in the tens of millions of dollars.

So sad....I pray for the families of those involved....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    The problem started when a person with a very obvious mental illness was out there in the first place.

Wow. What a tragedy! I hope all victims involved can recover and move on. Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    "Its who we are" just posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZyirf318sM

They were evidently directly involved and escaped the attack.
    I just saw that on my YT feed and watched it. Been watching them from before the trail. Glad they are safe. Terrible situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    the more "maddening" part would be that the other alleged victims didn't want to press charges and/or testify against him....
    My thoughts, exactly. I am also wondering if he was evaluated for involuntary commitment given his behavior.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++