WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I was also wondering if the two in the video were the same two who Odie interviewed about the prior harrassment.
    There were three hikers (two male, one female) in the interview video.

The hiker couple who were chased but not attacked were not in the interview video.

At least one report (maybe Washington Post) I've read specifically mentioned that the four victims of the attack had seen Jordan for the first time the Friday before the Saturday morning attack.

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Of course we have more murders than any other Democratic, capitalist society, because we are by far the largest Democratic, capitalist society. Anybody using raw numbers to compare countries of different populations is trying to exaggerate.
    First of all, India is largest Democratic and capitalist society. They have more than a billion people. Second, I think what he meant is that PER CAPITA, the US has more murders than any other democratic society in the world.

Images

The hiker couple who were chased but not attacked were not in the interview video.

this couple made their own video as well...

they have a following on youtube so they did a one about the incident but didnt give details at all..

i forget their names but i watched it the other day..

and apparently, the video has been deleted now......(i cant confirm that as i forgot their names)..

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    First of all, India is largest Democratic and capitalist society. They have more than a billion people. Second, I think what he meant is that PER CAPITA, the US has more murders than any other democratic society in the world.
    The following link has a table, listing murders per 100,000, by country. The US does not have the highest per capita murder rate of democratic societies in the world. For example, compare South Africa (a democracy) to the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._homicide_rate

I have worked in ER and at an inpatient psychiatric hospital. I have dealt with many mentally ill people including paranoid schizophrenics. The mentally unstable can often act and speak in a normal fashion when interviewed by staff or police. I’m sure if he was threatening to burn up the cops in their tents he would have been held for psych evaluation, he probably was acting in a normal fashion at this key time. That is why evaluation commitment is usually for 72 hours - it’s hard for the truly ill to keep on a sane mask for that long, also effects of drugs and or alcohol should wear off by then, often with withdrawal symptoms showing.

Im only bringing up this fact because many are dumping on original arresting officers saying they weren’t doing their jobs. Also stating that original complaintives “have a lot to answer for”. I’m sure they all feel terrible at the outcome. 20:20 hindsight is easy to have. We aren’t aware of every scrap of info each officer had. When looked at in hindsight the conclusion to detain is obvious, but I am sure no one person had all the scraps of info that we are putting together here as the incidents were evolving.

I feel that this horrible event can help teach each of us to follow our gut feelings and err on the side of caution when dealing with bizarre circumstances. Most folks don’t want to get involved. It sounds like many hikers were threatened , a few notified police or other authorities but most didn’t. In future please get involved.

I am truly, deeply sorry for the grief that the injured hiker, her family and the the murdered hiker’s families are going through. My heart goes out to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    this couple made their own video as well...

they have a following on youtube so they did a one about the incident but didnt give details at all..

i forget their names but i watched it the other day..

and apparently, the video has been deleted now......(i cant confirm that as i forgot their names)..
    Their channel is "It's Who We Are". They are not the same hikers as the three in the interview. They did not talk about the actual incident;, they talked about the trauma they are feeling. Based on their comments, I assumed they were the other two hikers referenced in the news articles, the ones who got away.

They said they were going to stay off the trail for a few days to process what they went through. They also mentioned that they filmed several other videos prior to the incident and they'll upload them eventually. And that they filmed and posted that video so that their followers would know they are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    I have worked in ER and at an inpatient psychiatric hospital. I have dealt with many mentally ill people including paranoid schizophrenics. The mentally unstable can often act and speak in a normal fashion when interviewed by staff or police. I’m sure if he was threatening to burn up the cops in their tents he would have been held for psych evaluation, he probably was acting in a normal fashion at this key time. That is why evaluation commitment is usually for 72 hours - it’s hard for the truly ill to keep on a sane mask for that long, also effects of drugs and or alcohol should wear off by then, often with withdrawal symptoms showing.

Im only bringing up this fact because many are dumping on original arresting officers saying they weren’t doing their jobs. Also stating that original complaintives “have a lot to answer for”. I’m sure they all feel terrible at the outcome. 20:20 hindsight is easy to have. We aren’t aware of every scrap of info each officer had. When looked at in hindsight the conclusion to detain is obvious, but I am sure no one person had all the scraps of info that we are putting together here as the incidents were evolving.

I feel that this horrible event can help teach each of us to follow our gut feelings and err on the side of caution when dealing with bizarre circumstances. Most folks don’t want to get involved. It sounds like many hikers were threatened , a few notified police or other authorities but most didn’t. In future please get involved.

I am truly, deeply sorry for the grief that the injured hiker, her family and the the murdered hiker’s families are going through. My heart goes out to you all.
    I worked as a Forensic Nurse for 22 years. I agree with you. Part of my teams job was to evaluate mental status. It is amazing how sane our clients act for short periods of time. They will always break after awhile, not being able to keep the sharade up. Mental health is not understood my most of the public.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Images

the ID of the man who was killed came out today---

Ronald S. Sanchez Jr. of Oklahoma.....

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    The following link has a table, listing murders per 100,000, by country. The US does not have the highest per capita murder rate of democratic societies in the world. For example, compare South Africa (a democracy) to the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._homicide_rate
    Comparing the US to South Africa......I feel much safer now.

and how did you deduce this?

did you watch the video in question?
    This is exceedingly unlikely given the logistics that would be required for the killer to find the previous hikers who he may have thought had reported him landing him in jail. He may have thought that the ones he was attacking were the ones who had reported him. Every criminal fears law enforcement holding them accountable for their bad actions.

Then he should have said per capita and used per capita numbers.

Using his standard, he's wrong. India had about 32,000 murders in 2015 (last year I could easily find). We had about 16,000 murders. Yes, per capita we were higher, but again, that's not the numbers he used.
    http://www.mospi.gov.in/statistical-...india/2018/206

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-1
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Abatis1948 View Post
    I worked as a Forensic Nurse for 22 years. I agree with you. Part of my teams job was to evaluate mental status. It is amazing how sane our clients act for short periods of time. They will always break after awhile, not being able to keep the sharade up. Mental health is not understood my most of the public.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    To add to what Abatis1948 and Kestral said I work as a Law Enforcement, officer in a wildland environment, In spite what most people think this man had the right of due process. Simple assault is a pretty minor thing and normally doesn't you in jail for long if at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Forester View Post
    To add to what Abatis1948 and Kestral said I work as a Law Enforcement, officer in a wildland environment, In spite what most people think this man had the right of due process. Simple assault is a pretty minor thing and normally doesn't you in jail for long if at all.

and with the suspect having a knife---wouldnt that be aggravated assault?

and likewise, still would not be in jail that long.....

I know who they are and I too watched the vid. It was a good idea to remove the vid from their channel. This is an ongoing investigation and it is best for law enforcement to do their jobs. Unfortunately, they may have to appear in court to testify in his trial. It will be very traumatic for all involved and I do keep them in my thoughts. My heart broke when I found out who the couple was because they were thru-hiking the AT to HEAL from another traumatic event.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

The criminal complaint: https://www.masslive.com/capecod/201...ian-trail.html

"14. Hiker #1 and Hiker #2 were interviewed by investigators with the Smyth County Sheriff's Office on May 11, 2019. Both identified Jordan as being the individual who had approached and chased them with a knife and had a picture on a cellular phone of Jordan from his prior incident in Tennessee."

I took this to mean that either Hiker #1 or Hiker #2 had taken a picture of the defendant during a prior run in with him in TN. If not, why would the FBI agent include this clause in the affidavit? What other photo could they have had of the defendant? Were hikers texting pix of the defendant to each other for situational awareness? If the photo was his prior booking photo, the agent would have written exactly that, as the booking photo is already a gov't document identifying the defendant and would thus constitute a clearer identification of the defendant than some random picture not already in police custody. Maybe I read too much into it.

The defendant will soon be indicted by a federal grand jury. The indictment will undoubtedly contain more details.
    Be Prepared

Comparing the US to South Africa......I feel much safer now.
    You said the US had the highest per capita murder rate of any democratic country in the world, which was incorrect. If you don’t like comparing to South Africa, there are quite a few other democratic countries in the referenced table with higher murder rates than the US to compare to. There are certainly countries, democratic and otherwise, with lower murder rates than the US, but the US is still a very safe place to live. Incidents like the one in this thread are rare, on a per capita basis. I’ve certainly never felt unsafe in the city, or in the woods.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 05-14-2019 at 19:04.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post

"14. Hiker #1 and Hiker #2 were interviewed by investigators with the Smyth County Sheriff's Office on May 11, 2019. Both identified Jordan as being the individual who had approached and chased them with a knife and had a picture on a cellular phone of Jordan from his prior incident in Tennessee."

I took this to mean that either Hiker #1 or Hiker #2 had taken a picture of the defendant during a prior run in with him in TN. If not, why would the FBI agent include this clause in the affidavit? What other photo could they have had of the defendant? Were hikers texting pix of the defendant to each other for situational awareness? If the photo was his prior booking photo, the agent would have written exactly that, as the booking photo is already a gov't document identifying the defendant and would thus constitute a clearer identification of the defendant than some random picture not already in police custody. Maybe I read too much into it.

The defendant will soon be indicted by a federal grand jury. The indictment will undoubtedly contain more details.
    I respectfully suggest you do some reading before using your flawed powers of deduction to blame the victims. Start with this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.49657e027de6

and with the suspect having a knife---wouldnt that be aggravated assault?

and likewise, still would not be in jail that long.....
    Depends on the laws of the county/state of the event. For assault would have to make contact. Seems like it he was threatening but never attempted or caused bodily harm (the fires time around) and no body wanted to press charges.

NY TIMES article:

https://nyti.ms/2Q9rMde

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post

Because that photo was all over the 2019 AT Hikers groups and on Instagram. I would speculate that most hikers that were in or near that area had a picture of the guy or had seen one. I had been watching the trail updates on these groups as we are headed into the area he was originally detained.
    Last edited by JC13; 05-15-2019 at 17:50.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
++ New Posts ++