WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    here's an article with more information..

https://wcyb.com/news/local/court-do...-to-stay-alive
    Thank you TN Hiker for all the information you have shared with us on WB.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

We are definitely paying attention to this thread so please keep it on topic and within the rules set out in the site user agreement.

Thank you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Based on the information in this article, the location of the attack was most likely the well-used campsite at Reed Creek, about 2 miles south of Tilson Gap on the AT.

The article said "the four made camp in Wythe County", where only a short segment of about 4 miles of the AT runs between Little Brushy Mtn and Tilson Gap, with the campsite at Reed Creek near its center. The article also said "The victim received assistance to help her hike six miles into Smyth County", which is SOBO on the AT. The nearest road SOBO is VA 617 which is about 6 miles from the campsite at Reed Creek.

Most likely the victim ran SOBO because she'd been hiking NOBO and when panicked and hiking in the dark it makes most sense to reverse course. Would have been quicker to head NOBO where to VA 610 with hostel nearby after only 4 miles, but she probably wouldn't have known this unless she'd been planning to stop there.

Very unfortunate situation - my condolences to the victim's family.
    Good job figuring out the exact spot!
    Be Prepared

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Reading the FBI's criminal complaint I deduce the following which has heretofore not been discussed:

1. The 2 hikers who posted the YouTube video, identified in the complaint as Hiker #1 and Hiker #2, were the same 2 accosted by the defendant in Unicoi County;
    2. The female victim ran south b/c at the onset of the attack, she just ran for her life as the defendant was killing her male companion. The defendant ran after her, stabbed her, and she played dead. She just continued south b/c to do otherwise would have required her to go back thru the camp where the defendant had returned;
    3. The police probably made Hikers 1 and 2 remove the video b/c they are eye witnesses to the attack and all prior statements by witnesses in federal court are subject to Discovery and cross examination by the defense.

If I am correct, and Hikers 1 & 2 are the two hikers from the prior incident who refused to cooperate with law enforcement for the sake of their own convenience, they have a lot to answer for.....
    Be Prepared

Nothing from the criminal complaint suggests in any way that any of the four hikers from VA were involved in the previous incident in Unicoi.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Nothing from the criminal complaint suggests in any way that any of the four hikers from VA were involved in the previous incident in Unicoi.
    Nor has any media coverage suggested or stated that.

I may be overstepping my bounds here, but given the prior advice from the WB administrator that victims' families and friends are reading threads about the attack and in some cases upset by them, it might be the better course of action not to speculate, especially if the speculation suggests that the victims are to blame for the incident. My two cents, and again please forgive me if I'm talking out of turn.

I was also wondering if the two in the video were the same two who Odie interviewed about the prior harrassment.
    It is what it is.

Images

Jordan had run-ins with lots of hikers and given his state of mind, I'm not sure he'd remember specific people from several
    weeks back and especially encountering them at night. One of the articles I saw said Jordan was asking hikers at one of the
    road crossings what the password was to hike on the AT and was waiting around for someone to tell him. This dude was out
    past Neptune somewhere.

This is devastating and those involved and their families have my sympathies.

Speculating on who's at fault and whether anyone brought this upon themselves is no help.
    We'll learn more details of this sad story soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthN View Post
    Nor has any media coverage suggested or stated that.

I may be overstepping my bounds here, but given the prior advice from the WB administrator that victims' families and friends are reading threads about the attack and in some cases upset by them, it might be the better course of action not to speculate, especially if the speculation suggests that the victims are to blame for the incident. My two cents, and again please forgive me if I'm talking out of turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    Remember that police can only arrest and charge for felonies, and misdemeanors committed in their presence. Otherwise it is completely on the victim to press charges.
    No. That's not correct at all.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    No. That's not correct at all.
    Without getting into the weeds regarding warrantless arrests and based on public information, it's the correct answer regarding why the police didn't arrest for the first assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    Without getting into the weeds regarding warrantless arrests and based on public information, it's the correct answer regarding why the police didn't arrest for the first assault.
    Attorneys make big bucks arguing this back and forth in court. Since I'm not an attorney or getting paid, I'm done.

I wish this thread was done.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    If I am correct, and Hikers 1 & 2 are the two hikers from the prior incident who refused to cooperate with law enforcement for the sake of their own convenience, they have a lot to answer for.....

and how did you deduce this?

did you watch the video in question?

Images

3. The police probably made Hikers 1 and 2 remove the video b/c they are eye witnesses to the attack and all prior statements by witnesses in federal court are subject to Discovery and cross examination by the defense.

i doubt it based on my viewing of the video...

they said very very little about the actual attack...

and also, since this is america and we have the first amendment---they have every right to keep it up.........

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I wish this thread was done.
    Don't hold your breath.

I wish some hikers would have taken out the threat them self's.

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    ####Your opinion is incorrect, as the U.S. averages over 18,000-20,000 homicides a year in the U.S. (see Uniform Crime Reports-Dept. of Justice) and that is by far the most murders committed in any Democratic, capitalist society.
    Of course we have more murders than any other Democratic, capitalist society, because we are by far the largest Democratic, capitalist society. Anybody using raw numbers to compare countries of different populations is trying to exaggerate.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Reading the FBI's criminal complaint I deduce the following which has heretofore not been discussed:

1. The 2 hikers who posted the YouTube video, identified in the complaint as Hiker #1 and Hiker #2, were the same 2 accosted by the defendant in Unicoi County;
    2. The female victim ran south b/c at the onset of the attack, she just ran for her life as the defendant was killing her male companion. The defendant ran after her, stabbed her, and she played dead. She just continued south b/c to do otherwise would have required her to go back thru the camp where the defendant had returned;

Source for the FBI's criminal complaint?
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Source for the FBI's criminal complaint?
    https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-...james-l-jordan

Fair warning, it says nothing to support BlackCloud's interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-...james-l-jordan

Fair warning, it says nothing to support BlackCloud's interpretation.
    I found it here:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4097...vit#from_embed

I agree. It doesn't fit BlackCloud's interpretation.
    Thoreau

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++