WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Oh wait...I did judge a little when I saw the dog dragging his lead behind him. I thought, dang, that can’t be comfortable for the dog.
    Walking along a road behind his owner and dragging his leash. The leash is pretty much pointless. This guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    This sounds like a lot of peevish paranoia to me, what ever happened to "mind your own business" and "forgive and forget"?

I've never seen such judgmental, intolerant and overly jaundiced hair trigger reactions as exists in the south especially around the AT. Unless you fit into the "good" stereotypes that get left alone, you could easily be wrongly branded and stigmatized by people and reported. Life is full of thousands of types of people, why are people so quick to judge and report stuff?
    Yeah, how dare people be reactionary and judgemental.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...-AT?highlight=

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...rol?highlight=
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Yeah, how dare people be reactionary and judgemental

i stand by my marijuana comments......

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Apparently they’ve forgiven and forgotten those posts already

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Apparently they’ve forgiven and forgotten those posts already
    Guilty as charged, I can be vociferous based on how I see stuff.

I'll take a page from Emerson's essay. Ralph-Waldo-Emerson-quote-about-speech-from-Self-Reliance-1a2835.jpg

I have never smoked pot; I believe it has medicinal value. I dealt with an older brother who used every single illegal and legal drug out there where my father filed criminal charges against him finally, which Bob saw as a bolt from God. He has been in AA and recovery for over 30 years now, is married and has two kids.

Do I regret going public on the "pot party"? I don't know. If you go to that section in Kent you can see how the USFS blocked off the parking area that was where I saw the cars with huge boulders and now a gate, I don't know if what I posted had anything to do about that. But I also went public with the laundromat closure contacting a newspaper and as a result she reopened that to hikers. I am just one of many voices.

On this poor guy, he needs advocates. The rich kids who were having their drug party probably needed a visit by law enforcement. As usual the wealthy get much better treatment than the poor.

And on my slam against the south vs. the north clearly there is a lot of hair trigger criticism all along the trails irrespective of geographical zones. People need to know their rights as the Constitution can't fight for you without strong initiative.

Images

The rich kids who were having their drug party probably needed a visit by law enforcement.

or they could have been just left alone...

no need for the cops to show up......

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Way to judge the entire South there buddy. Congrats!
    I edited that; you called me on it, you are right and I was wrong and ask for forgiveness.

I'm a little lost here. If the news reports are to be believed (and why shouldn't they?), the guy was arrested with a 20" knife. I'm going to take a guess here and say this is what another hiker thought was a machete. Furthermore, he was booked on an assault charge. So why does it seem like some here are defending him? I imagine a hiker with a large knife threatening people and who has a pit bull dog would prompt me to call the police and push to have him taken off the trail.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

So why does it seem like some here are defending him?

its gone back and forth since yesterday....

at one point they were looking for him------then late in the afternoon, other authorities caught up with him and decided he was not a threat and let him be on his merry way...

then either late last night or early this morning----a different set of law arrested him for the large knife and making threats....

but, its america---innocent until proven guilty.....

Yep - when the first group of authorities found him, they apparently didn't find the 20" knife and the reports made it sound like there was a misunderstanding over whether he'd ever had one (versus a similarly sized portable guitar?).

Not sure what the "pit bull dog" has anything to do with this (other than being off (sort of) leash)...
    - Trail name: Thumper

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Not sure what the "pit bull dog" has anything to do with this (other than being off (sort of) leash)...
    Federal law requires news outlets to sensationalize pitbulls every time they get the chance.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Armed with a guitar and playing highly dangerous songs...

Images

I would have no problems with USFS LEOs showing up and issuing citations for littering, illegal camping and anything else they find anyone doing that violates the LNT guidelines. A few years back I was camped along the Creeper Trail. Two VA DNR officers were checking a fisherman for license violations and pointed out that I was camped too close to a water source, the Whitetop Laurel River. There was a fire ring already there so I decided to camp there. Yep I was guilty but they declined to issue a citation, said it was up to the USFS to do that. Probably all of us have done something similar at one time. Now lots of hikers are upset about 1 psycho acting like a BA. Leave the southern peeps alone, this guy was from MA.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Yes, there is media exploitation of pit bulls in the way they report attacks, but let's face it. A pit bull not being controlled by its owner who appears to be unstable is not a picture of safety in my opinion. I have been charged several times on the trail by unleashed dogs. A hiker in my hiking group in Florida was recently bitten by a pit bull on a leash but obviously not under control by the owner. On this forum in the last week, a hiker reported a dog bit him on the AT. So, yeah, the dog is relevant in my opinion.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Was it even a pit bull though? Looking at the pic posted, it doesn't look like one to me (at least not full bred).
    It is what it is.

Images

Was it even a pit bull though? Looking at the pic posted, it doesn't look like one to me (at least not full bred).

others on FB was saying it was a mutt/mix breed dog...

i cannot confirm what kinda dog it is.....

Images

just looked at the police report------dude has some pot on him....doesnt say quantity.......or quality for that matter...

looks like the criminal impersonation charge is from dude giving a false name to officers.....

also says he was slurring his words and having trouble standing------so thats gotta be something else than pot.........

The breed of the off-leash dog is hardly the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy;
    As usual the wealthy get much better treatment than the poor.
    Just show your, “I’m wealthy” card wherever you go. See what that gets ya. Lol.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++