Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 308
  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-21-2005
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Age
    54
    Posts
    546
    Images
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I'm a little lost here. If the news reports are to be believed (and why shouldn't they?), the guy was arrested with a 20" knife. I'm going to take a guess here and say this is what another hiker thought was a machete. Furthermore, he was booked on an assault charge. So why does it seem like some here are defending him? I imagine a hiker with a large knife threatening people and who has a pit bull dog would prompt me to call the police and push to have him taken off the trail.
    Some people like to rush to judgement and condemn other people for rushing to judgement. It's a form of virtue signaling.

    Bob says someone was brandishing a large machete and threatening people. When questioned, that person says he never had a machete and didn't threaten people. Okay then, that clears it up. The only conceivable possibility is that Bob is paranoid and rushed to judgement. Bob apparently cannot tell a guitar from a machete and obviously misread the situation. Case closed.

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,051
    Images
    3

    Default

    update as of this (thursday) morning----from our sister station in the tri cities...

    "There are no new charges. He was given probation and fines today for the original charges of the criminal impersonation/drug charges. He is being released from jail today. The investigator told me that none of the witnesses are willing to go to court as witnesses."

  3. #63

    Default

    Because they are thru hikers... I get it...they don’t want to stick around

    Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    update as of this (thursday) morning----from our sister station in the tri cities...

    "There are no new charges. He was given probation and fines today for the original charges of the criminal impersonation/drug charges. He is being released from jail today. The investigator told me that none of the witnesses are willing to go to court as witnesses."

  4. #64
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    62
    Posts
    7,708
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    update as of this (thursday) morning----from our sister station in the tri cities...

    "There are no new charges. He was given probation and fines today for the original charges of the criminal impersonation/drug charges. He is being released from jail today. The investigator told me that none of the witnesses are willing to go to court as witnesses."
    https://www.wbir.com/article/news/cr...7-004a34dd7546

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,051
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post



    Yeah....

    that is where i work and source of my info....

  6. #66
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,874
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    This thread speaks to the larger issue of how one should deal with people who make them feel — for whatever reason — uneasy.

    While the AT is a shared space that attracts many kinds of people, I think that thru hikers can get so into the flow of things to such a degree that they may discount warning signs on the AT that they might not elsewhere.

    Good to remember the AT has seen some truly evil people over the years, and most of the worst violence of the Trail began or ended at a shelter.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-19-2013
    Location
    Harrisburg PA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Let me share an encounter from yesterday, on the portion of the AT in my patrol area. There's been illegal camping along a trout stream, and some trail runners have been spray-painting mileage markers on trees and rocks--not cool. About a mile from the trail I saw a man hiking with a large pack and carrying a long black object. If he was fishing or hunting, he'd need a license. If he was doing out-and-back camping, he'd be wrong. So I pulled up alongside him and said "Hi, just out for a walk today?" He gave me a look of incomprehension, so I repeated the question: "Are you just out for a hike today?" He gave me a f-you look and said "Why, is that a problem?" I said "No, I just want to know if you are fishing, hunting or camping." He said No, so I wished him a good day and went on down the road. The long black object was an umbrella--but I should have asked him if he had any paint cans in that big pack he was carrying. Law enforcement requires balancing my responsibilities with an individual's right to be left alone. We don't always get it right. Sometimes the citizen contributes to misunderstandings.
    Last edited by Game Warden; 04-26-2019 at 22:53.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-03-2017
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    Let me share an encounter from yesterday, on the portion of the AT in my patrol area. There's been illegal camping along a trout stream, and some trail runners have been spray-painting mileage markers on trees and rocks--not cool. About a mile from the trail I saw a man hiking with a large pack and carrying a long black object. If he was fishing or hunting, he'd need a license. If he was doing out-and-back camping, he'd be wrong. So I pulled up alongside him and said "Hi, just out for a walk today?" He gave me a look of incomprehension, so I repeated the question: "Are you just out for a hike today?" He gave me a f-you look and said "Why, is that a problem?" I said "No, I just want to know if you are fishing, hunting or camping." He said No, so I wished him a good day and went on down the road. The long black object was an umbrella--but I should have asked him if he had any paint cans in that big pack he was carrying. Law enforcement requires balancing my responsibilities with an individual's right to be left alone. We don't always get it right. Sometimes the citizen contributes to misunderstandings.
    I appreciate your input and the fact that y'all have to balance variables. Be safe.

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    This thread speaks to the larger issue of how one should deal with people who make them feel — for whatever reason — uneasy.

    While the AT is a shared space that attracts many kinds of people, I think that thru hikers can get so into the flow of things to such a degree that they may discount warning signs on the AT that they might not elsewhere.

    Good to remember the AT has seen some truly evil people over the years, and most of the worst violence of the Trail began or ended at a shelter.
    Certainly there have been some, though extremely rare instances of violence against hikers and a few bad hikers here and there. However I never had a problem of this type. Ok, I'll have to admit that there were some real wackos in boy scouts.

    I find the nervous Nellies far more of a problem, those with so much anxiety about what "might" happen hiking, you wonder what they are doing out of their plastic suburban bubbles. As usual if you have any fear or anxiety no matter where you are even on Mt. Washington, call 911 immediately and the "authorities" will answer and send out a squad to help.


  10. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    Certainly there have been some, though extremely rare instances of violence against hikers and a few bad hikers here and there. However I never had a problem of this type. Ok, I'll have to admit that there were some real wackos in boy scouts.

    I find the nervous Nellies far more of a problem, those with so much anxiety about what "might" happen hiking, you wonder what they are doing out of their plastic suburban bubbles. As usual if you have any fear or anxiety no matter where you are even on Mt. Washington, call 911 immediately and the "authorities" will answer and send out a squad to help.
    Probably be a while before they reach you on Mt Washington.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General


  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-08-2013
    Location
    Noble, Oklahoma
    Age
    44
    Posts
    115

    Default

    According to a Facebook post, Odie gave Sovereign a ride to Johnson City and bought him a bus ticket north towards home. His video is worth a watch and some internal reflection.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,051
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    According to a Facebook post, Odie gave Sovereign a ride to Johnson City and bought him a bus ticket north towards home. His video is worth a watch and some internal reflection.
    Got a link or a last name?

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-08-2013
    Location
    Noble, Oklahoma
    Age
    44
    Posts
    115

    Default

    The Hiker Yearbook or Matthew Odie Norman.

  14. #74

    Default

    Saw him walking up Roan Street in Johnson City this morning around 7:30 AM.

  15. #75
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,874
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    According to a Facebook post, Odie gave Sovereign a ride to Johnson City and bought him a bus ticket north towards home. His video is worth a watch and some internal reflection.
    Thanks for posting — definitely worth watching.

  16. #76

    Default

    Thank God someone rushed to judge.

  17. #77

    Default

    You need a badass every now and then,keeps the nuts at bay.

  18. #78
    Registered User ldsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-25-2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    536

    Default Sovereign Still on the Trail

    I was watching Ramdino's through hiker update this morning, and he reported that Sovereign is causing trouble further up the trail in Shenandoah National Park. Apparently he was at the Partnership Shelter a while back, too. Ramdino thinks Sovereign is yellow blazing since he is showing up at shelters near parking areas. Sovereign's mug shot was included in the YouTube video.

    So I guess that little run-in with the law further south hasn't dissuaded Sovereign from continuing to cause trouble. The hiker that reported the situation to Ramdino was Porkchop.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

  19. #79
    Registered User kestral's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-12-2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Florida
    Posts
    354

    Angry

    Thanks for posting the video link. Good to see that warnings were posted on guthooks so folks could stay safe. Hope he didn’t eat his dog. (Ahhhhhhhhhggggg !!!!!)

  20. #80
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    62
    Posts
    7,708
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I was watching Ramdino's through hiker update this morning, and he reported that Sovereign is causing trouble further up the trail in Shenandoah National Park. Apparently he was at the Partnership Shelter a while back, too. Ramdino thinks Sovereign is yellow blazing since he is showing up at shelters near parking areas. Sovereign's mug shot was included in the YouTube video.

    So I guess that little run-in with the law further south hasn't dissuaded Sovereign from continuing to cause trouble. The hiker that reported the situation to Ramdino was Porkchop.
    What are the chances that if he even got on that free bus ride home, that he either got off before getting home, or got kicked off for behavior issues? I once took in a homeless relative with "issues" who was living in his car. There's a reason these people are wandering the trail, living in their cars, etc. Buying them bus tickets, taking them in, giving them money, etc., usually doesn't help to any great degree. It just moves them from one place and set of circumstances to another, but the behavior doesn't magically change. That takes medical/professional help. And sadly, often that doesn't help either.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •