WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zpacks Duplex problem

Anyone have experience with this loose seam tape? The tent is brand new and I have places like these all around the apex points and the ridgeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leonidas

No, I have a new one as well and everything was immaculate. I specifically checked the seams after multiple people complained on reddit about the stitching. I would probably email them about the issue.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    No, I have a new one as well and everything was immaculate. I specifically checked the seams after multiple people complained on reddit about the stitching. I would probably email them about the issue.
    Thanks, I have emailed them, they're just busy right now and I'm trying to research in the meantime. Not gonna lie, makes me want a refund seeing this tent hasn't even been used yet!

Unfortunately that seems to be a common theme with Zpacks these days...

I fully agree that when paying $500 + bucks for a tent, it should be immaculate. However, it doesnt seem like Zpacks agrees.

Ive heard getting ahold of them for any kind of customer service is a nightmare. I hope they start reading the forums and do something about it.

It doesnt seem to be a structural issue, rather sloppy work.

I wonder if they got a bad batch of tape? That's bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I wonder if they got a bad batch of tape? That's bizarre.
    Yeah, there’s a lot of places it appears to not be bonding correctly and most of the edges of the tape look frayed? I think I will ask for another tent or a refund. I don’t feel comfortable keeping this one. Bad thing is it’s been 3 months now since I bought it.

Well I took some more pictures to send in and asked for a refund. We will see what happens. I typically hammock camp anyways, I wanted this tent for the JMT next year, and some other above tree line adventures. I guess I’ll be hangin in the trees for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by andymc View Post
    Well I took some more pictures to send in and asked for a refund. We will see what happens. I typically hammock camp anyways, I wanted this tent for the JMT next year, and some other above tree line adventures. I guess I’ll be hangin in the trees for the foreseeable future.

For whats its worth...

I too am a hammock camper.

I too purchased a duplex for my JMT thru last August

To be honest, I could have used my hammock. There was only one time where hanging was not an option, at guitar lake below Mnt. Whitney

Other than that, I camped in the valleys. Its just the way the trail is setup, go up and over a pass in the morning and camp in the valley that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    For whats its worth...

I too am a hammock camper.

I too purchased a duplex for my JMT thru last August

To be honest, I could have used my hammock. There was only one time where hanging was not an option, at guitar lake below Mnt. Whitney

Other than that, I camped in the valleys. Its just the way the trail is setup, go up and over a pass in the morning and camp in the valley that evening.
    Cool. Yeah I should research hanging on that trail some more. It just seems like enough of a logistical nightmare just getting on trail, I just wanted to simplify by taking a tent. So did you wish you had your hammock on the JMT?

I've had a Duplex for years and it's still perfectly fine. I hope there is a reasonable explanation and understand your frustration.

Cool. Yeah I should research hanging on that trail some more. It just seems like enough of a logistical nightmare just getting on trail, I just wanted to simplify by taking a tent. So did you wish you had your hammock on the JMT?

I agree...the logistics were a pain. But completely worth it for sure

TBH I didnt mind tent camping on the JMT. I almost always had a flat spot and its kind of nice having your own little enclosed space

But if you really prefer hammocking, I dont think youll have much trouble at all.

Umphhh...

This is the EXACT problem I had with my duplex a month into the AT.

Zpacks didnt want to fix it. Even Joe Valesko told me he would send me seam tape, I could take a zero, and fix it myself.

On a tent with a few dozen nights on it and only a month into the factory warranty.

They were disappointing to deal with.

RETURN it. And buy something from someone else.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Umphhh...

This is the EXACT problem I had with my duplex a month into the AT.

Zpacks didnt want to fix it. Even Joe Valesko told me he would send me seam tape, I could take a zero, and fix it myself.

On a tent with a few dozen nights on it and only a month into the factory warranty.

They were disappointing to deal with.

RETURN it. And buy something from someone else.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    Dang, not what I hoped to hear. I hope they’ll take it back.

Well, so far I’ve only been offered an apology and some repair tape. Looks like I’ll be repairing this myself unless I get a different response from my second email asking for repair, possibly different tent, or maybe a partial refund given the time frame it happened and basically zero usage.
    If anyone has any experience repairing these seams, let me know. If I have to, should I repair with a taut pitch, should I remove the old tape and do a whole section, do I need to clean old residue? Hopefully it’s easy to work with and it quits coming loose or I’m gonna need a LOT more tape.

That's pathetic customer service. Those aren't seams in need of repair after they've worn out - that's a faulty product that needs to be made right by the supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    That's pathetic customer service. Those aren't seams in need of repair after they've worn out - that's a faulty product that needs to be made right by the supplier.
    That’s how I feel completely. I hope they can come through with a better solution than me fixing it myself, without even any instruction.

If that's their response, I'd be tempted to do some research into credit card coverage as well. Some provide versions of warranty coverage that might prove useful here?

Nice thought!

Well, so far I’ve only been offered an apology and some repair tape.
    Post edited.
    Last edited by johnacraft; 04-25-2019 at 07:34.

It appears they have authorized me to send the duplex in for a refund. I’m very satisfied with that and the timeframe they handled it in. Thank you for your cooperation Zpacks. I don’t think I would feel comfortable with a different or a repaired duplex after this experience. Hopefully mine was one of few lemons and everyone else has years of service with theirs. It’s truly a great design but after this, just not for me.

Thanks to all for the support and insight!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++