WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default L.L. Bean Puffy Jackets

Hey folks, anyone have any experience with L.L. Bean’s puffy jackets? I’ve been having a really hard time finding a puffy that fits me well- I’m very short, and have more chub around my hips/gut than I’d care to admit- but L.L. Bean’s jackets seem to fit me well when I tried them on in stores. The two I’m trying to choose between are the Ultralight 850 Down Hooded Sweater and the Ultralight 850 Down Hooded Jacket. Apparently there’s supposed to be some sort of “warmth rating” system, which would tell me what temperature and activity level each is best suited for, but I’ll be damned if I can find it on their site, maybe because I’m on mobile.

Anyway, I’m planning on leaving SOBO in mid- to late-June. Has anyone got any experience with either of these jackets? Could you give me your feedback on their warmth, durability, and comfort? Thanks!
    Last edited by City Dog; 04-21-2019 at 05:07.

Sweater is +30/-20 and the jacket is +25/-25. I use the sweater and it is much warmer than I thought it would be. I can go out in a t-shirt and the down sweater into temperatures well below freezing and be okay, and that's just for going out into town.

I live in central Maine and my Bean hooded jacket is my go-to garnet for outside chores. When it is slightly warmer I have a Patagonia jacket that has been around for years. When the weather is minus 20 and the wind is blowing I step up to another Bean product, a coat that would not work for hiking.

I have the 850 hooded jacket. Not the sweater. It’s not Quite as warm as I thought it might be but a good bit warmer than Patagonia down sweater. The fit is roomy. It seems to run a little larger than some other brands. I bought when they had 20% off. Overall very happy with it.

I have the 850 down hooded jacket. Only brand I could find that offers a tall version, then found a new one on eBay for a steal. I love it. Can stuff it into its own pocket...helps for packing, can use it as a pillow etc....

I only break it out for the really cold weather, but I'm a bit of a warm blooded guy. I know that leaves the responses all over the map. You can't go wrong with LL Bean quality.

++ New Posts ++