WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Norovirus outbreak

https://youtu.be/gY3cTzSICFY

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

Avoid humans and places where they congregate ie; AT shelters, privies, ... Don't share food with open hands. Strengthen your immune system.

Images

Don't forget this powerful conversation stopping technique. https://www.menshealth.com/uk/health...immune-system/

It also works to terminate a blind date, if needed.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    Don't forget this powerful conversation stopping technique. https://www.menshealth.com/uk/health...immune-system/

It also works to terminate a blind date, if needed.
    The article seems lacking in some critical information.

For instance, does the 5 seconds rule apply to boogers you drop on the floor? And what if the mining gold-strike is a slimy oyster instead of a more easily handled crusty dragon or hairy kernel?

One must know such things.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Avoid humans and places where they congregate ie; AT shelters, privies, ...
    ….. The AT

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    ….. The AT
    No. You don't have to avoid the AT to lower risks. Avoid common AT hiker behaviors. Plenty of people hike the AT not fully embracing shelters, shelter sites, shelter picnic tables, sharing food with bare hands, beaten down dirty CS's, and using privies. Not every ATer hiker is equally competing for the most grubbiest smelliest non hygienic award. No one has to hike the AT as others say they must - a "here's the blueprint" as if what others say is "the way." There's a personally responsible side to HYOH - owning your hike - owning your decisions - that isn't as often discussed.

It's no different than doing a hike within the bubble enjoying solitude or a different Thru agenda.

Embracing human animal herd sheeple mentality is sometimes good; it offers security and other opps. Others times it isn't. People - the human animal - behaviors - cause problems. The situational problems humans experience don't all arise outside of human behavioral patterns. WE are to blame for what we experience. WE dont want to examine our behaviors and change though. In our hubris it's easier to blame someone or something else.

..... just like clockwork....

Images

On a serious note, there is hand sanitizer available in small bottles that does supposedly help with Noro - Germstar Noro brand. No experience with it, but cruise ships / passengers apparently use it.

Yup, expect me to question the answers even if it rocks a boat or two, dig into the root causes, discard humanities hubris, and find innovative solutions.

Noro is really easy to wash off your skin with the tiniest bit of soap and a decent amount of water. It resists sanitizers fairly well if they aren't followed by a water rinse. As always wash your hands away from water sources.

While doing the "hiker fist bump" I noticed a few guys resisted the fist bump concept and went right to handshakes, stating "I don't get Noro-virus." Unfortunately, that just means they're carriers, much like Typhoid Mary. Either they're uneducated about it, or they just have no regard for human life. Either way, I just washed my hands immediately afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    On a serious note, there is hand sanitizer available in small bottles that does supposedly help with Noro - Germstar Noro brand. No experience with it, but cruise ships / passengers apparently use it.
    Either not enough of them do, or that's not all that solid of an endorsement.

FWIW it's my understanding that soap + water >> sanitizer.

does aqua mira kill noro?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by beachbunny View Post
    does aqua mira kill noro?
    if the noro was in water? maybe, but thats not how you get noro.

or are you contemplating rubbing aqua mira on your hands like its hand san? thats probably not getting you anywhere

Journal Entries

Persistance on surfaces and clothing for long time is what makes it so problematic.

no, just wondering if it kills the virus in water
    i remember when noro swept through glacier a few years back.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    if the noro was in water? maybe, but thats not how you get noro.

or are you contemplating rubbing aqua mira on your hands like its hand san? thats probably not getting you anywhere

i was running boats in ak and everytime a suspected noro cruise ship came in, (code red) ,when all the shoobies left we had to disinfect everything

Images

Quote Originally Posted by beachbunny View Post
    i was running boats in ak and everytime a suspected noro cruise ship came in, (code red) ,when all the shoobies left we had to disinfect everything
    was it in the water? i'm far from any sort of expert on noro but all of the AT related outbreaks havent had anything to do with water sources.

Images

interesting. reading a little bit about this makes me wonder, since this outbreak always seems to be on the same part of the trail every year, could "patient zero" in any given year be the first person who happens to pull water from the same lousy water source every year and doesnt treat it properly, then from there it spreads through the other means such as person to person contact, sharing utensils, poor sanitation, etc?

i mean i get that it spreading has to do with sanitation and people bunched together, but how does it first get introduced? its doesnt spontaneously happen because your hands are dirty, it gets introduced from somewhere, right? very curious.

On the trail now. Cold rain and wind last night. Arrived at shelter. People immediately offered to make room.

Me: “No worries. I’m setting up my hammock.”
    hiker: Laughs. “No you’re not. We got room.”

Yes, I setup in windy rain and slept warm, dry, and free of norovirus. I also carry soap and it does get used.

The bird sings in the forest, Grasshopper. Does it seek to be admired for it's song?

++ New Posts ++