WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Altra Lone Peak 4 vs Altra Timp 1.5

This is a 2 part question for all the Altra folks out there.

1) For backpacking the AT, 30 lb. max load, which model do you prefer? Lone Peak 4 or Timp 1.5?It’s my understanding that the Timp is a bit cushier, which sounds nice. ( I’ve been a Hoka Challenger & Speedgoat 2 guy for a while now, and I’m seeking alternatives). BTW, I’m 6’1, 165, so no stress issues here.
    2) I’m only marginally familiar with the zero drop shoes vs. the traditional 5-10cm heel in my Hokas. My concern is not comfort or durability, but rather the transition to the zero drop. Will I have issues, experience any discomfort in the feet, legs or tendons, because of the difference in foot strike, etc.

i see only only glowing reviews for the Altra’s, but no mention of any issues for someone transitioning to the zero drop. I thought I’d go to those who’ve been there, done that..

Thanks.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

I don't recommend the Altra Lone Peak 4 because the front flap at the toe began to separate on both of my shoes at about 20 miles or so.A friend has an identical pair and his started coming loose at only 5 miles or so.He told me it's a common problem and not to worry about it.Seriously? I used flowable silicon on mine and will test them out on a short hike tomorrow.We'll see.Anyone else have the same issue?

Having no bio-mechanical issues with neutral pronation and high arch as an ULer attached myself too quickly to the Altra Zero Drop Olympus and LP hiker rage coming from Hoka Stinson ATR and Challenger ATR's with 5 mm drops. It caused PT which I never previously experienced with nothing I can tell happened from common PT causes. I went back to Hokas and my feet and PT are finally happier after 8 months of debilitating PT. I went with Altras because 1) the anatomical toe box and shape which I still love with my splayed "Squatch" feet 2) admittedly was too strongly influenced by the popularity of Altras in the running and backpacking communities.

If going to zero drops might want to transition more incrementally from 10 mm drops using differnt thicknesses heel pads.

I had some minor issues when I first switched to zero drop Altras from the Keens I wore for years. I have tight muscles and tendons. I experienced pain in my Achilles’ tendon when I first began wearing them, but after a few hikes that went away. Altra does recommend a break in period in which you wear them for only a few hours at a time until you are used to them. That said, I have friends who switched to them and had no issues at all. I love my Altras and will keep buying them. As for the toe kick coming loose, I had that happen in my first pair of Lone Peak 2.5’s, but my second and third pairs (both 3.0’s) have not had that happen, and I put around 700-800 miles on each pair.

My Lone Peak 4's may be the most comfortable show I've ever worn. I don't have a problem adjusting to the zero drop. I think people make a bigger deal out of it than it is, but maybe I'm just not sensitive to it.

I did notice my toe guard was starting to separate. What is the stuff called to seal it up?

It's not just the drop but the arch support. Altras have no stock mid-high arch support. Altras work best for people with flat feet. Those with high arches are going to require after market arch supporting footbeds.

Significantly high and raised heels 12mm+ with steep slopes(ramp angles) from heel to forefoot have been associated with questionable form(heavy heel striking being one) and pronations correlated with injury and inefficiencies. 5-10 mm drops have generally been considered minmalist shoes. 0-5 mmm zero drop. Going to zero drop is the far end of that scale. Some of the reasons for transitioning to zero drops is to correct form and reducing injury. It also arose out of the acheivments and popularizing of bare foot running. I didn't need to have form corrected and never had a running, hiking, sports injury other than shin splints. I did Altras for their ananatomical foot shape and super wide toe box as Keens also can be designed with a blunt squared off toe box but aren't zero drop. After about a decade of populrizing Zero Drop shoes research by Runners World suggest equally cushioned zero drops have not been the pancea for preventing injury as had been thought.

A lot of Altras comfort comes in the form of their footshape and super wide toe box. Many people opt for too narrow of a width and shape and these eventually solve that issue.

Flash back to 1972... does anyone remember the Earth Shoes. I’m pretty sure they were a minus drop! Not very comfortable, but we all looked cool wearing them.

This is is not relevant, but the thought just occurred to me.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I don't recommend the Altra Lone Peak 4 because the front flap at the toe began to separate on both of my shoes at about 20 miles or so.A friend has an identical pair and his started coming loose at only 5 miles or so.He told me it's a common problem and not to worry about it.Seriously? I used flowable silicon on mine and will test them out on a short hike tomorrow.We'll see.Anyone else have the same issue?
    All trail Altras do this. I started running a bead of super glue around the area before I ever wear them. So far it has held for 100+ miles on my LP 3.0. My Kings separated there but never got worse than just slightly pealing. I will do it on my Timps before I wear those once the LPs wear out. As for the LP 4.0, I have seen several people mention that the 4.0s have lost their midsole support in less than 100 miles. Altra changed the foam when they changed the outsole apparently.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I just moved from the Lone Peak 3.4 to the Timp 1.5 and have been very happy. They are more like the OG Lone Peaks.

I moved to zero drop to adpot a more natural foot position and improve posture

I prefer timps over lone peaks for typically trail hiking.

The AT is a little rough on timps though.

For me both shoes lose significant comfort and support after 200 miles.

At 300 miles I wish I had a new pair. At 400. They should definitely be replaced.

The toe box is hard to give up now that ive used altras for the last 3 years.

But I'm looking into hokas at the moment.

Altras are overrated. But they are a good shoe.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I know this has been a little while now, however I feel I have relevant feedback. I went from Hoka's to Altra's and even though I was a MASSIVE Hoka fan I love Altra's more.

I was also very concerned about the transition to a zero drop shoe, primarily as I have a repaired Achilles that can be very tight and the zero drop was very scary to me.

My findings:

• I've had no challenge at all moving to zero drop and I think they have actually helped my calf flexibility. I was very nervous so I did break them in slowly but to be honest I didn't feel like that was really necessary.
    • I'm also a chronic Plantar Fasciitis sufferer and haven't had any real challenges with this since moving to Altra's. I have to say though - at the same time I started doing some very focused foot strengthening exercises a ballet dancer gave me so that is possibly a primary cause of the PF lessening to such a big extent.
    • Altra's don't have great inserts so another comment about that was correct, however their inners are made to be removable so you can use your own.
    • I do find a difference between Lone Peaks and Timps but not as much as with other Altra's. I have some metatarsal pain that usually kicks in at about the 8km mark, but it is completely gone since I started wearing my Lone Peaks. Timps also I don't have the pain, but other Altra's I still do. Nowhere near as bad as with other shoes, but it is there.
    • I feel Lone Peaks have better grip than Altra's. It's not wildy significant but I do feel there is a difference. I always thought I was just horribly unco when I used to hike in boots but since having this lovely soft rubber that grips on anything, I'm a damn jackrabbit now. I can't stress enough how my hiking has improved now I fully trust my shoes.
    • I always wore shoes about 2-3 sizes too big to accommodate my flat toe shape, and I do still have a full size larger for longer hikes, but the toe box of the Altra's has meant that (not to be too gross) my toenails on my third and fourth toe have actually grown back.

I hope that helps somewhat,
    Jenny

I just got my Lone Peak 4's in Friday and WOW. Best LP so far. Rock plate. 2X the cussion. Still has wide toe box.

Everyone always wines about the toe flap coming loose. WHO CARES. IT is a little piece of rubber on the front of the shoe. If it bothers you then shoe glue it back on. The little flap coming loose changes nothing about the shoes performance in my experience of 3 worn out pairs.

In fact my last pair (3.5's) i only replaced because they "felt" worn out. The cosmetics of the shoe looks probably 5/10 but the cushion just felt gone 10/10. So I replaced them and immediately felt the difference in old worn out shoes and new shoes.

Replace your shoes after 500 miles folks, your feet will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Altras are overrated. But they are a good shoe. Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I respectfully disagree with this. Altras changed my life on the trail. My trail time went from anticipating when the blisters and sore feet will occur to now being able to do as many miles as my body will allow me to and at the end of the day my feet are zero concern, zero blisters, zero aches and pain.

I guess depending on how much feet were a problem prior to one changing to Altras, or which ever shoe was made for them, would determine how over or under rated the product is they found that works.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I had planned on going to Lone Peak's but they felt a bit odd at the forefoot when I did a bit of test running in them. Ended up with a pair of Solstice's for the road and Superior's for the trail. Since I haven't been able to get out on the trails in the last couple of weeks, the Superior's got a trial by fire over the weekend in the Highland Sky race. I switched to them at the halfway point to get out of my mud entombed Cascadias. It was a risk since I hadn't run done anything beyond walking around for a couple of minutes in them, but they were great for the next 20 miles of the race. Very comfortable despite accumulating a fair amount of debris inside (miles 27-36 frequently involved walking through ankle deep mud). Soft enough that I was able to run in them for the last 4 miles to the finish without significant discomfort despite the leg fatigue.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I just got my Lone Peak 4's in Friday and WOW. Best LP so far. Rock plate. 2X the cussion. Still has wide toe box.

Everyone always wines about the toe flap coming loose. WHO CARES. IT is a little piece of rubber on the front of the shoe. If it bothers you then shoe glue it back on. The little flap coming loose changes nothing about the shoes performance in my experience of 3 worn out pairs.

In fact my last pair (3.5's) i only replaced because they "felt" worn out. The cosmetics of the shoe looks probably 5/10 but the cushion just felt gone 10/10. So I replaced them and immediately felt the difference in old worn out shoes and new shoes.

Replace your shoes after 500 miles folks, your feet will thank you.

I respectfully disagree with this. Altras changed my life on the trail. My trail time went from anticipating when the blisters and sore feet will occur to now being able to do as many miles as my body will allow me to and at the end of the day my feet are zero concern, zero blisters, zero aches and pain.

I guess depending on how much feet were a problem prior to one changing to Altras, or which ever shoe was made for them, would determine how over or under rated the product is they found that works.
    Let us know how they hold up. The LP 4.0 has been rumored to last maybe 100 miles before the mid foot cushion is blowing out. I have heard this mentioned on multiple YouTube videos and hiked with a guy that his had blown out in about 150 miles on the section hike we just completed. It seems they finally improved the LP grip but the cushion they used changed and the new compound is worse.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Let us know how they hold up. The LP 4.0 has been rumored to last maybe 100 miles before the mid foot cushion is blowing out. I have heard this mentioned on multiple YouTube videos and hiked with a guy that his had blown out in about 150 miles on the section hike we just completed. It seems they finally improved the LP grip but the cushion they used changed and the new compound is worse.
    Will do. Headed out for trip #65 this weekend and I will test them out. Just a weekend trip to see the rodos but I will still report back.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++