WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone use the HMG pod as a food bag?

About ready to retire my zpacks food bag as it’s full of tape and holes as it’s about 5 years old...I rarely hang my food and realize HMG advises against hanging the pods. Only reason I’m looking at other options as my go to pack is the 38l burn and the zpacks doesn’t fit the pack well horizontally or vertically, it deforms the shape which is critical in the comfort of a frameless pack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I would worry about with the pod is the end loop. It looks like it may fail with a couple pounds of food hanging.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I put food into one of my pods along with my stove, kettle and utensils.

I rarely hang food but if I did I would put the pod into my sleeping bag compression sack and hang that.

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I put food into one of my pods along with my stove, kettle and utensils.

I rarely hang food but if I did I would put the pod into my sleeping bag compression sack and hang that.

Did you notice the shape contours better in pack than std stuff sack etc?

I use the hmg wind rider and the pods are outstanding in that pack. Really good at reducing gaps. I used the pods for food, another for clothes and a few times for top and bottom quilt of my hammock

Last edited by T.S.Kobzol; 04-21-2019 at 09:58.
    Let me go

I use an HMG pod for food storage. It's got a loop from which it can depend for hanging. The zipper isn't necessarily guaranteed to be 100% waterproof, but I haven't had mine leak yet in the rain, and my food is all in plastic bags inside the pod anyway.

Side note: I know the pods are designed to stack flat in an HMG (or other) pack, but I find they work really well packed side-by-side upright, standing on a short end, with the flat sides facing each other and the curved sides facing left and right. Packing them this way makes them sit flattest against my back since the height of the pod is its smallest dimension, and allows me easy top-grab access to two of the pods, instead of just one.
    Last edited by Zalman; 04-21-2019 at 12:07.

What size ZP Food Bag are you using with the MLD Burn? ZP's 5-6 day food bag @ 858 cubic inches(14 L) is a huge food bag for 5-6 days chow and IMHO for the 38L Burn. I use the MLD Burn as my go to LD pack but I wouldn't use anything larger than a 10.7 L ZP Food sack in it. OMG ZP suggest their 10.7 L sack holds 3-4 days food! I regularly get 7 days of food in an 8 L S2S Ultra Sil Nano Dry sack at .8 ozs at my cost of $14-16.

This is why I so frequently mention the importance of reducing consumable wt and bulk as a critical component of UL that most often gets ignored in UL yakkity yak. Gear wt is where the crowd mediatates. There would be no way I could employ a sub 40L pack as my go to LD pack with required 6-8 day food hauls and potentiallly heavy H2O wt and bulk hauls, unless I had a strong grasp on consumable logistics.

My question is why are you going to DCF sacks that aren't saving any gear wt costing 2.5X more money? Is there a performance increase in choosing DCF sacks cubes over the S2S Ultra Sil? If there is I'm not aware of it?

I've been using my large HMG pod as a food stuff sack off and on. I just recently did a 4 day end to end and used it as my food bag. It works. It fits about 5 days of food unless your eating ravenously. I hung mine from shelter nails. I'd be worried about the zipper bursting open before the loop pulling out tbh. It fits really well in your backpack. Even a burn. 1.1oz dcf is a little light for a food bag that gets kind of abused.

Yeah it works. But I dont think its worth the $$$ price tag as a food bag.

If your not hanging your food. Why not try out OPsaks?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I use the hmg wind rider and the pods are outstanding in that pack. Really good at reducing gaps. I used the pods for food, another for clothes and a few times for top and bottom quilt of my hammock

Thx...after reading more reviews probably go a different direction for food bag but when I buy a HMG bag I’ll definitely try out!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I've been using my large HMG pod as a food stuff sack off and on. I just recently did a 4 day end to end and used it as my food bag. It works. It fits about 5 days of food unless your eating ravenously. I hung mine from shelter nails. I'd be worried about the zipper bursting open before the loop pulling out tbh. It fits really well in your backpack. Even a burn. 1.1oz dcf is a little light for a food bag that gets kind of abused.

Yeah it works. But I dont think its worth the $$$ price tag as a food bag.

If your not hanging your food. Why not try out OPsaks?

Thx after seeing the feed back I’m going a different direction...may look a 2 smaller bags as s2s as DW said....I’ll check our op sack but hear they break easy

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What size ZP Food Bag are you using with the MLD Burn? ZP's 5-6 day food bag @ 858 cubic inches(14 L) is a huge food bag for 5-6 days chow and IMHO for the 38L Burn. I use the MLD Burn as my go to LD pack but I wouldn't use anything larger than a 10.7 L ZP Food sack in it. OMG ZP suggest their 10.7 L sack holds 3-4 days food! I regularly get 7 days of food in an 8 L S2S Ultra Sil Nano Dry sack at .8 ozs at my cost of $14-16.

This is why I so frequently mention the importance of reducing consumable wt and bulk as a critical component of UL that most often gets ignored in UL yakkity yak. Gear wt is where the crowd mediatates. There would be no way I could employ a sub 40L pack as my go to LD pack with required 6-8 day food hauls and potentiallly heavy H2O wt and bulk hauls, unless I had a strong grasp on consumable logistics.

My question is why are you going to DCF sacks that aren't saving any gear wt costing 2.5X more money? Is there a performance increase in choosing DCF sacks cubes over the S2S Ultra Sil? If there is I'm not aware of it?
    Thx for reminding me about good old sil...not sure why I was hung up on cuben for a food bag especially since weight is nearly the same and a lot cheaper!!! my zpacks bag is about 13”x16” flat fully opened...it’s an old size..I often have food for the pup in my food bag also so it’s lil bulkier. I may looks at splitting into 2 smaller sacks to keep more packable...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Thx after seeing the feed back I’m going a different direction...may look a 2 smaller bags as s2s as DW said....I’ll check our op sack but hear they break easy

The zippered granite gear bags are a popular choice as well.

I've converted to OPsaks now and still using the same one after 21 nights or so. Need to handle a little more with care for sure.

My Maine gripe is how the bag fills my pack...vertically it’s leaves to much wasted so e around it so typical try to fold over horizontally but tough if it’s load on a 4+ day carry.. would like a shorter fatter bag...I’ll keep looking but think two smaller may solve issue...ie one for snacks and one for dinner etc

My main gripe is how the bag fills my pack...vertically it’s leaves to much wasted so e around it so typical try to fold over horizontally but tough if it’s load on a 4+ day carry.. would like a shorter fatter bag...I’ll keep looking but think two smaller may solve issue...ie one for snacks and one for dinner etc

I've started using the food bag from st. Elmo's Fire Quilts. See the link below. It's light, water resistant, opens like a pod, has a sturdy loop, and comes with a bear hanging kit.

https://www.stelmofirequilts.com/products/the-hang-bag

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    The zippered granite gear bags are a popular choice as well.

I've converted to OPsaks now and still using the same one after 21 nights or so. Need to handle a little more with care for sure.

I’ll take it

I’ll take it

I'll send you a PM when I get hone later tonight.

I was really asking, It wasn't rhetorical. Is there some benefit in a DCF sack over what I suggested? Maybe you're seeing something I'm missing.

Journal Entries

My Maine gripe is how the bag fills my pack...vertically it’s leaves to much wasted so e around it so typical try to fold over horizontally but tough if it’s load on a 4+ day carry.. would like a shorter fatter bag...I’ll keep looking but think two smaller may solve issue...ie one for snacks and one for dinner etc

Well, you can always make your own. just have to purchase the Cuban and the 3M adhesive, look online for the tutorial. For the rectangular bottoms.

In the good old days Joe @ z packs made me custom one to fit my circuit with no wasted space around it
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-22-2019 at 23:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I was really asking, It wasn't rhetorical. Is there some benefit in a DCF sack over what I suggested? Maybe you're seeing something I'm missing.
    I think DCF had the advantage when using a 1.43 Zpacks food bag for hanging. Being waterproof and all. And then being able to just wipe it dry real fast. If your not hanging it though, then that wouldn't matter.

1.43 dcf is really tough stuff. 1.1 (HMG Pod) is tough but I feel like would have some durability issues over the course of a thru. It's kinda over the top to "baby" a food bag all the time.

Granted... you can still tape it up if a mouse chewed through it.

But no, if your not hanging your food, then DCF doesnt really offer any advantage over something else. Its also not any lighter at that point.

A .51 or .75 dcf stuff sack for food would die an early death for sure.

I think if your sleeping with your food, why not use OPsaks?

Dollar for dollar... A HMG pod cost $60 full retail. That's 10 12x20 Opsaks. I believe the 10 OPsaks would outlast the pod for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++