WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I think DCF had the advantage when using a 1.43 Zpacks food bag for hanging. Being waterproof and all. And then being able to just wipe it dry real fast. If your not hanging it though, then that wouldn't matter.

1.43 dcf is really tough stuff. 1.1 (HMG Pod) is tough but I feel like would have some durability issues over the course of a thru. It's kinda over the top to "baby" a food bag all the time.

Granted... you can still tape it up if a mouse chewed through it.

But no, if your not hanging your food, then DCF doesnt really offer any advantage over something else. Its also not any lighter at that point.

A .51 or .75 dcf stuff sack for food would die an early death for sure.

I think if your sleeping with your food, why not use OPsaks?

Dollar for dollar... A HMG pod cost $60 full retail. That's 10 12x20 Opsaks. I believe the 10 OPsaks would outlast the pod for sure.
    I was comparing the ZP's food bags with the 8 L S2S Ultra Sil Nano Dry sack at .8 ozs at my cost of $14-16.
    It is a DRY SACK. It's double stitched and seam taped. HH 1200 mm for the Ultra Sil Nano 15D. The fabric is WP! The fold down top when used correctly and the sack isn't over stuffed is a DRY SACK. Wouldn't store a $1200 camera and $1000 lenses in it for absolute WPness on a whitewater CR rafting trip outside of a larger WP bagbut never in all the time I've use it has any food ever gotten wet despite being hung(YES it has a folded over handle for hanging too) in all night torrential downpours. In some areas it's my pillow. Doesn't absorb water. If it does get wet drys OK but laying it out in sun or on a warm rock it's dry without wiping off in 10 mins. Doesn't hold mud or dirt. Can be Tenacious Taped.

+1 Those .51 and .75 DCF sacks get beaten up very quickly. Dont know if anyone is making them out of hybrid DCF. All I've seen are made from straight CF. Kinda hard to swallow the $ cost replacement considering the dismal cost averaging. I'm coming from the perspective that I use the gear that I have extensively. Gear for me is not my man toys. I need useful lifespans. And, their is little to know wt advantage.

The MLD Burn is about 10-11" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Well, you can always make your own. just have to purchase the Cuban and the 3M adhesive, look online for the tutorial. For the rectangular bottoms.

In the good old days Joe @ z packs made me custom one to fit my circuit with no wasted space around it
    By the time I screwed it up it I’d be better off buying one......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think DCF had the advantage when using a 1.43 Zpacks food bag for hanging. Being waterproof and all. And then being able to just wipe it dry real fast. If your not hanging it though, then that wouldn't matter.

1.43 dcf is really tough stuff. 1.1 (HMG Pod) is tough but I feel like would have some durability issues over the course of a thru. It's kinda over the top to "baby" a food bag all the time.

Granted... you can still tape it up if a mouse chewed through it.

But no, if your not hanging your food, then DCF doesnt really offer any advantage over something else. Its also not any lighter at that point.

A .51 or .75 dcf stuff sack for food would die an early death for sure.

I think if your sleeping with your food, why not use OPsaks?

Dollar for dollar... A HMG pod cost $60 full retail. That's 10 12x20 Opsaks. I believe the 10 OPsaks would outlast the pod for sure.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    You just talked me out of the HMG podI like the thought of opsak but most reviews I’ve read says they fail pretty quick...I’ve used the green odor barrier bags to line my holy zpacks to keep food dry if hanging as well as the scent reduction but it didn’t last more than a week or so.

Ordered this to try first...like the shape so will see how fits in the burn...

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I've started using the food bag from st. Elmo's Fire Quilts. See the link below. It's light, water resistant, opens like a pod, has a sturdy loop, and comes with a bear hanging kit.

https://www.stelmofirequilts.com/products/the-hang-bag
    What’s the weights?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    What’s the weights?

I have the black 13-liter in xpac. 2.9 oz. on my food scale. I'm very happy with it. It's a one-man operation but the quality is very good. The bags have a reflective strip as well, which makes them easy to find in the dark.

Before going to the S2S Ultra Sil Dry Sacks I was using Granite Gears's eVent Dysacks. These GG sacks hold their shape well. Zippers have wt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Before going to the S2S Ultra Sil Dry Sacks I was using Granite Gears's eVent Dysacks. These GG sacks hold their shape well. Zippers have wt.
    So far very pleased with how the 9l at 1.2oz sack packs! I only had big boxes of Lara bars and kids cliff bars from Costco to test pack, love how sits flat and fits the burn perfectly. No more packing a bowling ball! Should be fine for 4 day carry if I use dehydrated dog food..

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    So far very pleased with how the 9l at 1.2oz sack packs! I only had big boxes of Lara bars and kids cliff bars from Costco to test pack, love how sits flat and fits the burn perfectly. No more packing a bowling ball! Should be fine for 4 day carry if I use dehydrated dog food..

I bet you could shave a little weight from it too..

It looks like it has too many tags on it lol.. cut off that metal zipper pull and put on a piece of cord.

Get er down to 1 ounce!

I'm kinda interested in trying one of these gg zip sacks. A 9L with a zip is pretty nice for 4 days or so.

I bet you could shave a little weight from it too..

It looks like it has too many tags on it lol.. cut off that metal zipper pull and put on a piece of cord.

Get er down to 1 ounce!

I'm kinda interested in trying one of these gg zip sacks. A 9L with a zip is pretty nice for 4 days or so.

Ha...it already has a cord zip pull but yes there is definitely a few tags etc one could trim and likely get down to 1oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++