WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bitten in SNP

Default Bitten in SNP

Yesterday, I was bitten by an old brown lab accompanying 4 section hikers near the Byrd Nest #3 shelter. This dog was on a short leash but it still managed to bite my hand as I was talking with the hikers. I'm sharing this to encourage everyone to be extra careful around dogs on the AT since they're likely stressed and aroused in the close quarters on the trail. If bitten, it's very important to get the dog's latest rabies vaccination info from their rabies tag. The Park Rangers obtained this info for me which my doctor asked about. Fortunately, the dog recently received their rabies vaccine but I still had to get a tetanus shot. I love to see dogs on the AT and I'll be more careful in the future.

Images

Sorry to hear about your bite. Glad you're not being a dog "drama queen" about it. I've had dogs nip/bite my hands, usually when putting 'em in their faces. My bad. Still, extremely rare.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I'm just amazed they had their dog on a leash.
    Hope he didn't' get you too bad.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries

Sorry to hear.
    It would be beyond unusual for a leashed pet to have contagious rabies. They become contagious shedding the virus in the final stages, a few days (2-3) from death. The 10 day observation window is waaayy conservative on purpose. By the time it appears in saliva, even an untrained fool would know there was something seriously wrong with the dog.

Not saying you didnt do right thing, you certainly did , just that it really shouldnt be anything to worry much about. If it happens dont freak out.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-18-2019 at 21:00.

You gotta wash your hands after eating 2 lbs of Jacks Links before nearing old brown dogs.

I have had so many close calls with dogs when hiking. Seems they will go out of their way to try to bite me. Lol
    loose lips sink ships

++ New Posts ++