WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default High Uintas: looking for Highline add-ons

Lord willing and things go as planned, I'll be doing the Uinta Highline(full or 80 mile version) plus some additional hikes this fall.
    Distance to THs is not a big issue, as I'll be shuttling to whichever start point on the Highline Trail, and hiking back to the car(east to west).
    Right now, overnighters to Amethyst Basin/Lake and Red Castles are on my "must do" list. That may be enough, but I expect to have time for at least another night or two, maybe more if I put the hammer down on the HT.
    I can add time and distance to both of the aforementioned hikes, but am open to suggestions for other places with dramatic scenery.
    Late September/early October if it matters. Prefer lower temps and less people...
    Thanks!

Enjoy. I can't make other suggestions but the Highline trail was amazing...except for all the thunderstorms. Pretty epic trail.

Thanks. I enjoyed your trip reports from there. I'll be going a couple months later, so hopefully there will be less storms and the weather will be a lot cooler!

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Thanks. I enjoyed your trip reports from there. I'll be going a couple months later, so hopefully there will be less storms and the weather will be a lot cooler!
    Less storms, hopefully. The temperatures were pretty perfect though.

And I appreciate the feedback on my trip report...never sure how many people actually read them.

They were great. Your posts here are what turned me on to the Highline Trail to begin with. I added it to my list of potential trips and started following your page on Facebook after finding them. I love SW Utah(5 trips in 4yrs after first going there), and it's about time I saw more of the state.
    Logistics were a lot simpler than my other two options, too

I will be hiking the Highline trail in mid-August this summer. I had never heard of it until one of my AT buddies suggested we do it. I watch a Redbeard video and was hooked. It looks like it is truly "off the beaten path". Have a great hike.

Owen, that's good to hear. And thank you. You made my day

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    I will be hiking the Highline trail in mid-August this summer. I had never heard of it until one of my AT buddies suggested we do it. I watch a Redbeard video and was hooked. It looks like it is truly "off the beaten path". Have a great hike.
    I actually missed the ZPacks crew by about 24 hours...was hoping to run into them on the trail as I knew they were hiking it.

I did a blog post on it about my experience...if you care for more research and reading: https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.c...y-2018-part-1/

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    Have a great hike.
    You, too👍

Sharpened up my Google-fu, and this part of Utah is starting to remind me of the parts I know well. So much to choose from it's overwhelming, and you quickly realize multiple trips are in order!

Backcountrypost.com is a great Utah based site with plenty of experienced, helpful people on the Uintas.

Thanks!
    Once I got the map in hand, it mostly fell together by itself.
    Didn't even know most of the places I was reading about were accessible from the UHT, often being written up as individual hikes from different THs.
    Looks like I might be doing 3-4 days worth of detours, and toting 9 days worth of food.
    That plan has some downsides, though.
    Should have 11-12 days open for hiking. Not sure tacking on another hike after will overrule the desire for a hot shower! Maybe I can do that first...

It's funny, I started planning with the Highline, and looking for side hikes, but have found so many great places that I'd like to visit that are not on the UHT.

After researching a big selection of what seem to be area high points, reading dozens of blogs, articles and trip reports, it's become more about those "optional" hikes and less about the Highline itself.
    Point to point on a single trail is not my thing, anyway, when it isn't necessary. I'm more of a destination hiker, and the "journey" is just what I have to do to get to those destinations.

Currently plan to in/out the UHT from Hayden Pass(or Mirror Lake) over Rocky Sea and Dead Horse Passes to Dead Horse Lake, along with looping around through the lakes in Rock Creek Basin and Naturalist Basin.
    Definitely doing Red Castle Lakes from China Meadows, adding in the Smith Fork Pass Trail for East Red Castle and Smiths Fork Pass Lakes plus the nearby marked falls.
    Had also planned for a quickie to Amethyst Basin all along, now adding another day for separate trails to Kermsuh and Ryder Lakes.

Unless I left something out and my math is off, I'm only coming up with a little over a hundred miles of what should mostly be easy hiking, and probably 8-9 nights, so still have a couple days to fill.

I keep looking at pictures I've saved, and cannot remember ever being so hyped up about a trip that's 4 months away!

++ New Posts ++